advertisement

Tone Poet Blue Notes

Well I have just ordered the Sam Rivers from Amazon France where the stock date says 5th April and my delivery is supposed to 10th or 11th April. This may change of course , but the main reason to buy from Amazon.fr though is the price guarantee there is only £22.83 including delivery as against £37.67 from Amazon U.K. Pity I did not pre order there just over a week ago when I first saw it as there was then a further 6.90 Euro reduction coupon for this record as well.

The Cassandra Wilson Tone Poet issue is not listed yet on Amazon France, but I'm probably going to pass on this one.

Last edited:
This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Several weeks ago I managed to order Contours from Amazon.fr for £22. At that price not too bothered when it arrives - within reason. I’ll only be dipping in to the series as I have most of what I want, although I’d encourage everyone to get Andrew Hill’s Black Fire if they don’t already have a great copy.

Joe Henderson - 'The State of the Tenor' and Gil Evans - 'New Bottle Old Wine' are now on Amazon France to pre order, delivery 26th April, but they have set the pre order price at 32.99 Euros each this time, so not the bargain of 'Contours' and after postage will be almost identicle to current UK prices. Henderson is Priced at £32.32 on Amazon UK and Evans at £32.53, but these do not have a delivery date and are not yet available for pre order.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/State-Tenor-VINYL-Joe-Henderson/dp/B07NN3C3HS/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2Q6M1XSQ9ZQLP&keywords=joe+henderson+vinyl&qid=1552161066&s=gateway&sprefix=Joe+He,aps,177&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Bottle-Old-Wine-VINYL/dp/B07NN3JCHG/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3TSFKQN6ES574&keywords=gil+evans+vinyl&qid=1552161638&s=gateway&sprefix=Gil+Evans+vinyl,aps,173&sr=8-1

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Just to clarify for those who are not aware Joe Harley has confirmed that the 1985 Cassandra Wilson 'Glamoured' is from analogue master tapes, but Joe Henderson 'Art of the Tenor - Vol. 2' also a 1985 recording was made digitally on a Mitsubishi X-80 digital machine and they sourced one of these for playback mastering.

Some people in the US have already received Sam Rivers Contuours and are reporting the same excellent quality as the previous two issues. Amazon UK has now pushed the guaranteed price on Sam Rivers Contours up to £40.49 from £37.67 with a 26th April delivery date where Amazon Fr have dropped slightly to 21.99 Euros with the 5th April delivery date?

Amazon UK still expecting a hard Brexit?

It's probable that none of the European delivery dates will be met as people on Steve Hoffman are now being quoted May to June delivery. Wayne Shorter Etcetera first pressing run has sold out at Blue Note and people are waiting for a second pressing run.

Joe Harley says that all at Blue Note are very happy how sales with this series are going and that it now is likely to continue into 2020. I hope it does.

Here for comparison is the Blue Note 80 vinyl reissue series that starts on the 10th May and runs till April 2020 with three albums a month. These will be their standard mid price 80th Anniversary reissues. Still 180g pressings, curated by Don Was and Cem Kurosman, no mastering engineer stated, pressed by Optimal (at least thankfully they seem to be avoiding United this time). I expect they will probably be from a high res digital copy master like most of the BN75 series? So not anything like the Tone Poet series quality, but cheaper (at least in the US) and some very interesting lesser known records this time though.

http://www.bluenote.com/news/presenting-blue-note-80-vinyl-reissue-series

Word is in the US from Joe Harley of Music Matters and Tone Poet fame that the 80th will be from analog wherever possible and the mastering done by Kevin Grey. Also the plating will be done stateside and the metal parts shipped to Optimal for pressing.

Word is in the US from Joe Harley of Music Matters and Tone Poet fame that the 80th will be from analog wherever possible and the mastering done by Kevin Grey. Also the plating will be done stateside and the metal parts shipped to Optimal for pressing.

While I thought that a few of the 75 series were still from analogue (although probably not the 'original tapes'). From the limited number of those I brought a one or two sounded better than the rest, but that could be down to a number of reasons. My understanding was that now all the Blue Notes have Digital Remastered production copies and now 'normal' reissues will be from them with only occasional access being allowed to the original tapes for 'premium' issues such as the Tone Poet and Music Matters issues? Although I expect there are various generations of analogue copy remasters still in exsistance that could be used?

Well If it happens it will be a real bonus and Joe Harley may have some influence as he seems to have the ear (hear ;)) of Blue Note at the moment. Even if they are all mastered by Kevin Gray that should be an improvement, especially for us in Europe if they are pressed by Optimal in Germany and we get the same US metal work. The Optimal pressings of the 75 series were definitely better than the US United ones. We had a mixture of both here.

While I thought that a few of the 75 series were still from analogue (although probably not the 'original tapes'). From the limited number of those I brought a one or two sounded better than the rest, but that could be down to a number of reasons. My understanding was that now all the Blue Notes have Digital Remastered production copies and now 'normal' reissues will be from them with only occasional access being allowed to the original tapes for 'premium' issues such as the Tone Poet and Music Matters issues? Although I expect there are various generations of analogue copy remasters still in exsistance that could be used?

Well If it happens it will be a real bonus and Joe Harley may have some influence as he seems to have the ear (hear ;)) of Blue Note at the moment. Even if they are all mastered by Kevin Gray that should be an improvement, especially for us in Europe if they are pressed by Optimal in Germany and we get the same US metal work. The Optimal pressings of the 75 series were definitely better than the US United ones. We had a mixture of both here.

I also heard that some of the 75 series were mastered from analog but I never bought any do to the poor reputation for pressing quality. Having them pressed at Optimal bodes well even if most of them are sourced from digital files since I have mostly good experiences with pressings from them being of high quality and I'm sure they will sound good. I'm grateful Don Was is in charge of the Blue Note catalog and making more of it available to those of us who prefer to listen to vinyl.

Been listening to Grantstand recently, an excellent session with Brother Jack McDuff and Yusaf Lateef. So Grant’s First Stand with Baby Face Willett is the first title I’ll be ordering from the 80 Series. Let’s hope it sounds great even if the chain is ADA, and that the cover artwork is at least Heavenly Sweetness quality rather than 75th Anniversary. Nice to see another Andrew Hill in the 80 Series too.

Speaking of McDuff, I wish someone could master Moonrappin’ properly so side two doesn’t sound like it was copied from poorly aligned cassette. And what about poor old Herbie Nichols? Genius overlooked in every BN reissue program I can think of. It’s almost enough for me to log into Hoffman and lodge a complaint! But then common sense gets the better of me.

Poco a Poco, please start a thread on 80 Vinyl Reissue Series - I don’t want to steal your thunder. I think there is enough interest here to have feedback on both 80 and Tone Poet series in terms of product quality and music.

Just had an email from Amazon France to say my delivery for the Sam Rivers Contours has been put back to between 30th April to 2nd May. I was not surprised as Universal / Blue Note under estimated the demand on this series in the first place and the reception to them has been so good that has probably increased further. It seems they are fulfilling US orders first.

I'm not too bothered as it was at a good price and I have well overspent on vinyl this month.

Ditto, I received the same news. Amazon UK have also informed me they are unlikely to be able to supply the individual Rendell/Carr LPs as they are yet again sold out at source. I’ve decided I’ll be ordering future Tone Poet releases from Jazzhouse. I don’t think Amazon will be making the same pricing error twice in the series, and I’d rather support an independent.

Ditto, I received the same news. Amazon UK have also informed me they are unlikely to be able to supply the individual Rendell/Carr LPs as they are yet again sold out at source. I’ve decided I’ll be ordering future Tone Poet releases from Jazzhouse. I don’t think Amazon will be making the same pricing error twice in the series, and I’d rather support an independent.

Graham,
Jazzman website is still saying the Don Rendall, Ian Carr Quintet are available at £18.99 each: http://www.jazzmanrecords.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=Don+Rendall+Ian+Carr

I'm still also getting emails from them that they are available even though I brought the complete set. £18.99 was cheaper than Amazon when I purchased mine in any case.

Graham,
Jazzman website is still saying the Don Rendall, Ian Carr Quintet are available at £18.99 each: http://www.jazzmanrecords.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=Don+Rendall+Ian+Carr

I'm still also getting emails from them that they are available even though I brought the complete set. £18.99 was cheaper than Amazon when I purchased mine in any case.

Thanks for that, but first two titles (the two I’m interested in) now sold out, only latter three titles left. I’ve had them on CD for many years, so not too bothered. Besides, it means I’ll have more money to put toward Tone Poets......

advertisement

Back