advertisement

Tone Poet Blue Notes

As a side issue, for those interested in British Jazz, the Landsdowne session of Guy Warren has been reissued with estate consent by Back to Analogue. I’ve taken a punt, as I really want to here this cream of British jazz classic. Honest Jon’s have more blurb and a few copies left.

Thanks for the heads up: now ordered :)

My 'Contours' is on the way too, from Amazon.fr.

Check out the new Maisha album as well:'There is a Place'.

It's a great time to be into Jazz...

Let us not, Graham :p. Strata East is one of my favorite jazz labels and originals are getting harder to find and expensive. We don't need to drum up more interest.

Let us continue to discuss Blue Note reissues ad nauseam.

Regarding Afro-American jazz labels, maybe it’s about time for a Strata East thread.

"Regarding Afro-American jazz labels, maybe it’s about time for a Strata East thread."

Quite a few Strata & Strata East reissues from Pure Pleasure and BBE have done a couple as well. Also the Tribe label is in that same spiritual vein. I tend to get put off by the vocals on a lot of these

As a side issue, for those interested in British Jazz, the Landsdowne session of Guy Warren has been reissued with estate consent by Back to Analogue. I’ve taken a punt, as I really want to here this cream of British jazz classic. Honest Jon’s have more blurb and a few copies left.
Thanks for the tip Graham - just ordered mine

My copy of Contours has been delivered to my workplace, but I’m not there this week. I’ll feed back when I can.

Thanks for the tip from me as well Graham. You should get a discount on yours for the number of referrals ;). You have helped to turn it into an even more expensive month for vinyl purchases than last month. I ordered from Honest Jons and managed to spend £75 on vinyl while browsing their site including on the 2 x LP's Don Cherry 'Universal Silence' that never had an official release.
Must try to reduce my vinyl habit and spending, but that seems unlikely with so good stuff coming out. Just had an email from Alan at Jazz House re Tone Poets and Blue Notes 80's that he will be stocking, the latter at £28 each.

Christ, so many reissues. I'm not sure what my strategy is regarding the Blue Note 80s because £28 is a bit steep. That's Japanese pressing price and the 75th series were in some cases very poor from a pressing point of view.

I was listening to a few Blue Note abums that streamed on Qobuz in HiRes the other day (so not RVG reissues) and they sounded so good I was wondering if I might need to reassess my vinyl acquisition strategy.

Christ, so many reissues. I'm not sure what my strategy is regarding the Blue Note 80s because £28 is a bit steep. That's Japanese pressing price and the 75th series were in some cases very poor from a pressing point of view.

I expect they will be quite a bit cheaper from the Amazon Market Place sellers, but I always find myself in a bit of a conflict. I think I should be supporting good and knowledgeable dealers like Jazzhouse and Honest Jons and realise these have greater overheads, but some times the price difference is considerable and the amount quickly adds up.

The price of the Blue Notes 80's maybe somewhat higher than the 75's as despite what I thought and earlier Blue Note statements (see posts 29 -31 here and the 80's thread) respectable posters on Steve Hoffman are saying they will be AAA mastered by Kevin Gray. They are all being pressed by Optimal with supposedly better QC. Of the 75's I brought, which were a mixture of United and Optimal pressings I found the Optimal ones were OK if not perhaps optimal.

I think I should be supporting good and knowledgeable dealers like Jazzhouse and Honest Jons

The price of the Blue Notes 80's maybe somewhat higher than the 75's as despite what I thought and earlier Blue Note statements (see posts 29 -31 here and the 80's thread) respectable posters on Steve Hoffman are saying they will be AAA mastered by Kevin Gray.

Yes, I agree. I ordered Contours from Jazzhouse and Alan was super-fast with his delivery. If the 80th are all Kevin Gray then it should be worth it. There does however seem to be a creeping inflation at the moment, presumably due the state of the pound. The Music Matters releases are now pretty much out of my range. The Tone Poets are painfully expensive, but worth it. However I have to ask myself; how often would I spend £40, even for a first pressing of a favourite album?

This might be of help with Europe availability to order forthcoming Tone Poets.

Here are links to Amazon U.K. for next available Tone Poets:
Gil Evans - New Bottle, Old Wine £41.38 delivery from 31st May.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Bottle-Old-Wine-VINYL/dp/B07NN3JCHG/ref=sr_1_1?crid=J7BQOYBTUKTO&keywords=gil+evans+vinyl&qid=1556661402&s=gateway&sprefix=Gil+E,aps,232&sr=8-1

Joe Henderson - State of the Tenor Vol 2 £37.63 delivery from 31st May.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07NN3C3HS/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

And the same on two Amazon France where they are a bit cheaper. Plus the Lou Donaldson Mr Shing-A-Ling not yet available to order on Amazon U.K. The links to Henderson and Donaldson are further down this page:
https://www.amazon.fr/New-Bottle-Old-Wine-Evans/dp/B07NN3JCHG/ref=sr_1_1?__mk_fr_FR=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&crid=1SM1LXVH0UZMT&keywords=gil+evans+new+bottle+old+wine&qid=1556661488&s=gateway&sprefix=Gil+Eva,aps,190&sr=8-1

Both sites have price guarantees and (at this time) similar delivery dates, but I expect these will slip?

Last edited:
This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
The Cassandra Wilson release has slipped, again, to the end of May...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07MWXTT3H/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Probably because the demand in the states has shot up on this one following a bit of promotion by Joe Harley and reports of excellent sound quality by those who have it already. I expect the ones I have linked to above will slip in Europe as again demand seems to have outstripped supply in the US. I wonder what level of pressing run Joe Harley and the Blue Note team initially set when this series was conceived?

Although I have been tempted by the recent reports on 'Glamoured' and I don't have it. I do have about four of hers on CD and to be honest they don't get played much. Perhaps 'Belly of the Sun' occasionally. So with so much good stuff coming out and a need to restrict my spending a bit I think I will still stick with my decision to pass on this one and will probably pass on the Lou Donaldson above?

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Re the 80th Anniversary Series. I was scratching my head wondering why they were so expensive so I checked out Sound of Vinyl, Universal’s (Blue Note) D2C site. They’re £18.99 there, which seems more realistic for what will be pretty standard pressings. Amazon Uk is currently £21.74 for Takin’ Off but that will drop one their price checking “spiders” do their job.
https://thesoundofvinyl.com/*/*/Takin-Off/64YB0000000

Re the 80th Anniversary Series. I was scratching my head wondering why they were so expensive so I checked out Sound of Vinyl, Universal’s (Blue Note) D2C site. They’re £18.99 there, which seems more realistic for what will be pretty standard pressings. Amazon Uk is currently £21.74 for Takin’ Off but that will drop one their price checking “spiders” do their job.
https://thesoundofvinyl.com/*/*/Takin-Off/64YB0000000

Mike,
Have you ordered anything direct from their site? Do you know where they ship from and how long for delivery?

Mike,
Have you ordered anything direct from their site? Do you know where they ship from and how long for delivery?
I haven’t used them but as they are Universal Music owned you can pretty much guarantee that you’ll receive the records on the (Fri)day of release. Currently Universal (Blue Note) are distributed in the UK through Sony DADC in Enfield.

Anyone sitting on the fence about Contours shouldn't. Not only is it great music, but the pressing, artwork and sound quality are top grade. Sounds far superior to my Heavenly Sweetness copy, much more dynamic, vibrant and engaging.

I've got a first press US Capitol copy of State of the Tenor, and although I'm a big fan of Henderson this one has always sounded very safe and leaves me feeling a bit bored. The 80s sounding claustrophobic pickup technique on the bass doesn't help. I'm sure I'm alone on this one, but the Elements reissue from a few years back is a much more exciting record IMO. Looking forward to the Gil Evans.

advertisement

Back