advertisement

Tone Poet Blue Notes

This seems like a good opportunity to ask what flutter actually sounds like. Anyone?

Looking forward to the Andrew Hill. Listened to Andrew!!! for the first time on Graham's recommendation, even through Spotify it's fantastic.

A rapid cyclical change of pitch.

I got up to check if the LP was centred properly, it was. However don’t let that detract from what is a superb LP.

The Kenny Burrell is an outstanding mono LP too

My copy of Glamoured arrived this week from Dodax and as others have written its the real deal. Result of the year at £14.99. So far only managed side 1 and very impressed with this so far. Even if there are a few minor issues on sides 3 & 4 as others have stated, I will be holding on to this one.

Quite a few of these Tone Poet LPs in Leicester HMV today. Bought the Wayne Shorter myself. Think there was a Gil Evans, Andrew Hill, Dexter Gordon, Chick Corea plus a few others but weren’t sure if they were any good. Bought a Ltd Ed Coltrane Love Supreme on clear vinyl too, which sounded excellent on the P8 tonight in my new listening room.

Finally got around to sampling something from this reissue series. I picked up Lee Morgan’s excellent Cornbread the other day. I have played this a lot on CD, but have always wanted to have it on vinyl.
Well, no disappointment here. The tunes are so familiar, yet sound so much more interesting, with rich interplay between the horns, and amazing solos, all underpinned by dynamic rhythms. Top notch Blue Note 60’s jazz...
That says it all...

While we wait for the arrival of the September releases in the series for those who have not heard it there is an interview with Joe Harley on the Arkiv Jazz site with some interesting insights into the Blue Note's tape quality and tape 'baking'. Seems the ongoing and tedious Black Fire debate (rant) has stopped JH posting on SH forum so good to get his comments elsewhere. Interview is About 38 minutes long, but you might want to skip the 8 minute intro before the interview proper starts.

https://arkivjazz.com/the-arkivjazz...g-blue-notes-tone-poet-series-with-joe-harley

While we wait for the arrival of the September releases in the series for those who have not heard it there is an interview with Joe Harley on the Arkiv Jazz site with some interesting insights into the Blue Note's tape quality and tape 'baking'. Seems the ongoing and tedious Black Fire debate (rant) has stopped JH posting on SH forum so good to get his comments elsewhere. Interview is About 38 minutes long, but you might want to skip the 8 minute intro before the interview proper starts.

https://arkivjazz.com/the-arkivjazz...g-blue-notes-tone-poet-series-with-joe-harley

The ‘dodgy pitch’ spotting pissing up the wall competition has now spread to other TP releases - like a virus. What amuses me is why pick on the TP series? BN LPs and CDs are full of tape related discrepancies throughout the catalogue’s history. I have a McMaster CD of Horace Silver’s Song For My Father which is positively sea sick - Black Fire has nothing on this. But maybe this crew are right and there is a problem with the tape transfer machine. Doubt it myself.

The second side of Mr Shingaling is getting a fair bit of air time here. Hypnotic. Pity about the first side.

The ‘dodgy pitch’ spotting pissing up the wall competition has now spread to other TP releases - like a virus. What amuses me is why pick on the TP series? BN LPs and CDs are full of tape related discrepancies throughout the catalogue’s history. I have a McMaster CD of Horace Silver’s Song For My Father which is positively sea sick - Black Fire has nothing on this. But maybe this crew are right and there is a problem with the tape transfer machine. Doubt it myself.

The second side of Mr Shingaling is getting a fair bit of air time here. Hypnotic. Pity about the first side.

I tried saying that I could hear an issue, but didn’t find it distracting from what was a superb release. Some of the responses seemed to indicate that it made the release worthless, I couldn’t disagree more. The way such a minor problem dominated the thread is very, very sad.

I tried saying that I could hear an issue, but didn’t find it distracting from what was a superb release. Some of the responses seemed to indicate that it made the release worthless, I couldn’t disagree more. The way such a minor problem dominated the thread is very, very sad.

Stunsworth I saw your post on SH, but along with others that tried to put the issue into perspective and say let's move on it was shouted down. Truely as Graham says a "pissing up the wall" competition" led by a few that think they can show they know more than Joe Harley and Kevin Gray who have been in the business of producing high quality mastering for many years and who are the ones who are listening to the master tapes. Worst - it seems that it has done so much harm to potential sales of any Andrew Hill reissues that future possibles (Andrew?) have now been dropped from the series. I hope it doesn't spread to BN80 and stop the release of Smokestack. All of this a great shame as that thread over there started so well with knowledgeable comments and the regular input of Joe Harley.

Does anyone have any info on the provenance and sound quality of this vinyl copy of Grass Routes available on Jazzman?

https://www.jazzmanrecords.co.uk/andrew-hill-grass-roots

Just got the Andrew Hill yesterday. Not played it yet. I didn’t realise there were any alleged issues with the TP series.

I’ve now got Wayne Shorter, Dexter Gordon, Lee Morgan and the Andrew Hill. Also got three of the BN80. Is the Sam Rivers TP worth getting?

Just got the Andrew Hill yesterday. Not played it yet. I didn’t realise there were any alleged issues with the TP series.

I’ve now got Wayne Shorter, Dexter Gordon, Lee Morgan and the Andrew Hill. Also got three of the BN80. Is the Sam Rivers TP worth getting?

The Sam Rivers is one of the few I don't have but can definitely recommend the Kenny Burrell... Just IMO of course....

The Sam Rivers Contours is a great piece of music and the sound quality of the TP is the best I have heard of any of his recordings by a large margin, although mine is my only TP with a few 'clicks', but it was not enough to return. It is towards the 'freer' end of Jazz, but if you like Black Fire you should enjoy this. One of my favourites of the series and on regular repeat play here.

Unfortunately not a Tone Poet, but check out 'Fuchia Swing Song' by him as well. The BN75 is not bad if you get an Optimal plant pressing. He is also on Larry Young's - 'Into Something' (another great record) that will appear in BN80 later in the year.

Just got the Andrew Hill yesterday. Not played it yet. I didn’t realise there were any alleged issues with the TP series.....Is the Sam Rivers TP worth getting?

The Sam Rivers is essential IMO. The tape flutter/pitch issues have been blown out of all proportion (and yes, there are a few on Contours). Besides, if one's sense of pitch is that good then the brain should be able to adjust and enjoy the music, rather than clutching the arms of the chair in terror and calling for Joe Harley and Kevin Gray's heads to roll. The entire episode has become distasteful over some of the best sounding and produced Blue Note series I've ever heard, and that includes early pressings.

The Sam Rivers Contours is a great piece of music and the sound quality of the TP is the best I have heard of any of his recordings, although mine is the only TP with a few 'clicks', but it was not enough to return. It is towards the 'freer' end of Jazz, but if you like Black Fire you should enjoy this. One of my favourites of the series and on regular repeat play here.

Unfortunately not a Tone Poet, but check out Fuchia Swing Song by him as well. The BN75 is not bad if you get an Optimal plant pressing.

Thanks for the tips there! I’d say most vinyl I buy these days has clicks and pops. I just accept it. Don’t want to get too neurotic about vinyl as it just winds me up too much these days - if I was that bad I’d just play digital. Also most are a bit warped too. Had a disappointing dish warp on a brand new A Love Supreme on clear vinyl lately. The vinyl doesn’t even touch the platter on the outside. I lost the receipt so can’t return it.

Unfortunately not a Tone Poet, but check out 'Fuchia Swing Song' by him as well. The BN75 is not bad if you get an Optimal plant pressing. He is also on Larry Young's - 'Into Something' (another great record) that will appear in BN80 later in the year.

The Music Matters Fuchia Swing Song and Into Something are stunning, get them if you can. Would be nice if MM relaxed there distribution policy in the light of Tone Poet, BN80 and Joe Harley's success. Fingers crossed.

The Music Matters Fuchia Swing Song and Into Something are stunning, get them if you can. Would be nice if MM relaxed there distribution policy in the light of Tone Poet, BN80 and Joe Harley's success. Fingers crossed.

Yes MM's are probably the best available at present, but the FSS $75 and the Larry Young $50 on MM now plus high postage charges from MM and import duty makes these out of the question for me so I'll stick with my OK, but not wonderful (a little 'flat' sounding) BN75 and Elemental issues at present.

Proper distribution might help reduce the costs here, but I doubt it given MM are only now selling direct in the US and put their prices up as stock reduces. Many people in the US say they are too expensive now and apparently poor customer service re. returns. I should have bought some much earlier when cheaper, but I personally don't want any 2 x 45's. I hope more get issued as BN80's as some are already as the the restrictions JH has imposed re Tone Poets and previous high quality releases do not seem to apply with these BN80's.

Have to be careful where you order these discs from. Just received Takin’ Off from Amazon, and they’ve sent some awful bootleg version on ‘Wax Love’ instead of the BN80 I ordered. I’ve not opened it. Think I’ll stick to knowledgable sellers in future. Let’s hope the Sam Rivers I ordered from Amazon is the right version. What a joke.

Still, Freddie Hubbard - Open Sesame sounding good right now...

Have to be careful where you order these discs from. Just received Takin’ Off from Amazon, and they’ve sent some awful bootleg version on ‘Wax Love’ instead of the BN80 I ordered. I’ve not opened it. Think I’ll stick to knowledgable sellers in future. Let’s hope the Sam Rivers I ordered from Amazon is the right version. What a joke.

Still, Freddie Hubbard - Open Sesame sounding good right now...

In fairness I have to say that those I have received from Amazon so far have all been correct and well packaged with no problems due to them. You do have to be careful when ordering though that you pick the right version as they quite often do have more than one version, including the awful copyright rip offs. Easy to pick if not already issued from the pre order delivery date, less so if already released, but you can tell from the details small print at the bottom of the page. It would help if they were much clearer about the issue though.

Are you saying that you did pick the correct one, but they sent the wrong one? Correct one Blue Note noted as label in details and about £22.50 as the price? Others are cheaper and Indicate the different labels and or have wrong (i.e free from copyright) covers. If so that is pretty bad.

I do like to give support to good knowledgable dealers even if slightly higher price, but most have had problems getting these on issue, particularly the Tone Poets and some prices are much higher.

@poco a poco

Just noticed that I did in fact order the LP they sent. The thing is, their image showed Blue Note on the front cover and a 2019 release date. The back cover image was too blurry to read. Should have read further down to see the label.

I’ve now found the correct issue, but I’m going to buy it in HMV or Rough Trade in Nottingham.

Playing Dexter Gordon now - Doin’ Allright.

Does anyone have any info on the provenance and sound quality of this vinyl copy of Grass Routes available on Jazzman?

https://www.jazzmanrecords.co.uk/andrew-hill-grass-roots

I know nothing of the provenance. I just received a copy of this pressing which I bought from Juno. It seems they are now out of stock. The Matrix /Runout info is correct and I presume it is the same pressing that you linked to on Jazzman. I noticed that the LP has no barcode and Juno list the release date as 1990. On Discogs the release date is unknown. My copy has a little warp. The sound quality is absolutely fine. By the way, the music is brilliant.

advertisement

Back