advertisement

Today I have mainly been v3

In my previous incarnation as a Property Manager I looked after a block of flats in St James’s, Central
London. The wealthiest resident was minted, the poorest was a lady who could barely afford to live there, with 18 others in between the two. Trying to set a service charge with the residents association was an absolute nightmare.
Our block is a bit like that. A mix of people who bought decades ago, many of who are living off a state pension, and newer residents with deep pockets who can afford the inflated property prices. It's a shared freehold and there's a constant tension between well off folks who want to throw money at repairs and people who understand the hardship it would cause some residents.

Lords last night in the posh seats as guests of a member.

Completely screwed up journey, both directions. Elizabeth Line to Slough, change to the non stopper fast train to Paddington. Except it was running 30 mins late ! Took next Elizabeth Line train. Diifferent exit from station to find a cab......nothing. Walked halfway there before getting one.

Coming back, no fast trains For an hour so Elizabeth again......except it didn't stop at our station! Used to be a cab office at Burnham, nope it's gone. Ticket guy said that next train would be in 9 mins so back up the stairs.....

Back from holidays. Wife had a great time and it took her mind off the grief she is going through over her parents.
I kept thinking about my hi-fi as I had moved the speakers by a millimetre the day before we went on holiday amd I was convinced that it was now even better…

Had a mild argument with a couple of air-stewardesses about the U.K. allowance for alcohol coming back to the U.K. for international travel. Finally resolved when I produced the airlines documentation that clearly stated that it is now 4 litres of spirits each…

Saw a couple of ace films on the flights. Will report on them as I remember them.
We flew back on the new Virgin jet, ’Ruby Rebel.’ We flew business class (whatever it’s called, one down from First) comfy seats, more arse room, and better video screens. Real cutlery! but food was still rank… made up for it by drinking a huge amount.

Holiday was pleasant. Lots of swimming, turtles in the sea at Dover beach, Barbados. Green parrots squawking, whistling frogs and bonkers cockerels all making sweet music at 04:00 hrs….
Bizarre that the cricket something was happening as there were intermittent groups of Australians/Indians etc. staying at our hotel. The Australians were by far the most obvious. Such a happy troop. We avoided all that business as we both dislike cricket - even though The Wife has family connections to England cricket and her bro/Dad blah blah Lords or something.
We did (yet another) boat trip. I love that wall of tropical fish that surrounds you when snorkelling. Saw a ray, sergeant major fish, puffer blah blah - enjoyed the catamaran with the sails up and I sat at the prow, gripping the handrails, tanking along up/down the West coast.
we avoid the very busy boat trips, too much like a disco than a boat trip and too many people.

I struggle to read books post brain injury but did manage a book called ‘Hellraisers’ by Robert Sellers

Oliver Reed looks exactly like my (now deceased) Uncle Tom, and Tom could drink like a fish too - highly recommended book if you want a light read about famous people drinking huge amounts and killing themselves, albeit slowly.
Richard Burton/Liz Taylor I particularly like in The Taming of the Shrew and Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf? which felt like the films were written for the couple.
Peter O’Toole and Richard Harris also feature - but Burton & Reed were the blokes who fascinated me.

As usual, I got bitten by the invisible midges. Despite copious Jungle Formula and other precautions, the little shits bit my hands, feet and legs. As usual The Wife wasn’t affected by the insects.
The bites turn into what appear to be cigarette burns for a couple of weeks. No amount of antihistamines make any difference. At least I wasn’t bitten on the face or neck. I resisted scratching the bites as well, which just makes matters worse.

We are finished with Barbados now - we have been several times over 20 years and we are going to find somewhere closer and cooler for holidays.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Preparing the house for visitors later. Taking them to the midsummer market in Faversham tonight and then a few pints hopefully. Our first sleepover guests in the new house, apart from family.

Cheers BB

Nice walk around Coal Drops Yard, bought some shorts, few pubs. Walk up to the Euston Tap, then to the Melia White House to dump gear. Walk to Marylebone, ended up in the Prince Regent before a leisurely dinner in Fischer's

Cooked breakfast for the couple who stayed with us last night. The husband then helped me hang the TV on our living room wall (he’s a dab hand I ended up just passing things to him). After they’d left I set my TT up where the TV had stood previously. MIL rang, she was a bit down so we suggested she join us on our dog walk with her dog Bailey, the brother to our 11 month old Cockerpoo Mabel. We went down the marshes and Mabel introduced Bailey to the mudbanks and then to his first swim on the freshwater side of the trail. Great fun but both dogs a bit smelly.

Had a couple of beers in the garden and then went to make dinner, only to find Mrs BB had frozen the main ingredients when they were delivered on Friday. Tried a local curry house for the first time, which was very good, a great end to a busy day.

Cheers BB

writing an interview task - redoing the online training courses that had expired - DSE/Unconscious Bias/Fire Awareness.

getting an emergency dental appointment for tomorrow afternoon to see to my wobbly broken tooth

Chose the hottest day of the year to book in a wood burner quote for tomorrow and looking at things to do in Jamaica, scored some cheap flights yesterday.

Cycled three miles or so to the secret-ish location where storks have been nesting for a while. Delighted to see they are still there. Also good to see another couple of folks who had come down the footpath with the same idea in mind. We greeted each other in hushed tones and stared up into the trees, from where the clacking of bills told us ‘we can see you…’

i.php

i.php

Swam tonight, first time for 10 days, Mrs BB has been ill and we’ve had other stuff on. Really didn’t fancy it, I’d already done 15000 steps at work. Really glad I went, pool was really cool and I enjoyed the exercise. Watched second part of House Of Dragons, gave Mrs BB a break from football.

Cheers BB

advertisement

Back