advertisement

Today I have mainly been v3

Took a walk down by Oare Creek with the dogs. The tide was very low and the mud very thick, Mabel jumped into the mud, so needed a bath when we got home. Putting the dogs back in the car we realized Lola had rolled in fox sh*t, so a bath for her too. Put us behind for the whole day as we had a couple of things to do, including making a birthday cake for Step FIL’s birthday, we were 90 minutes late to the celebration. Lovely evening and saw Daughter #2 for a catch up too.

Cheers BB

I'm so glad you are able to do this.

I however, have 60 plus years experience of not really feeling comfortable in initiating conversations. I'm often socially clumsy in a group.

Even at primary school (a rural school with about 90 pupils) I didn't fit in well.

The relationship with Heather started rather by chance. Had we not both been helping the youth theatre group, a few months later the group was asked to reprise the production at Eden Court Theatre. Heather ended up sitting next to me at the Eden Court stage managers desk and I ended up getting a recent bad experience with a school visit to our farm off my chest. I'm not sure if Heather would have made a move anyway. I know when we're setting up the stage she was quizzing a mutual friend about me. (She was told "he's a fine lad")

There was clearly a mutual attraction, our relationship was very self contained, not having any reliance on other social groups. We very rarely went out other than as a couple.
Giving it a great go here chatting away. It’s not much different f2f. GL.

Giving it a great go here chatting away. It’s not much different f2f. GL.

It’s not much different f2f. GL.
No, for someone on the autism spectrum they are entirely different experiences. I don't make the mistakes "reading" people I do face to face. I get time think about my response and often will edit before pushing send. Sometimes I delete a post before sending. Sometimes I have a desire to contribute to a discussion but realise my contribution might be irrelevant, or simply repeating previous remarks. Face to face has no delete option, the edit before "send" is also very limited.

Heather had 10 years primary teaching experience before she met me and recognised the signs. It all made sense to me when she told me. I now have an autistic nephew and am pretty sure his father has some elements. Both like myself generally function pretty well and are educated to degree level. A great nephew is moderately affected and a neighbour's granddaughter is a little more affected. In the girls case it was clear she was "different" as a baby.

Autism has a spectrum from barely noticeable to an observer, like myself, to case Heather had to deal with where she had to exclude an 8 year old because of his violent outbreaks against staff and pupils. The local special unit only managed to cope with him for a few weeks. I often wonder what happened to him.

No, for someone on the autism spectrum they are entirely different experiences. I don't make the mistakes "reading" people I do face to face. I get time think about my response and often will edit before pushing send. Sometimes I delete a post before sending. Sometimes I have a desire to contribute to a discussion but realise my contribution might be irrelevant, or simply repeating previous remarks. Face to face has no delete option, the edit before "send" is also very limited.

Heather had 10 years primary teaching experience before she met me and recognised the signs. It all made sense to me when she told me. I now have an autistic nephew and am pretty sure his father has some elements. Both like myself generally function pretty well and are educated to degree level. A great nephew is moderately affected and a neighbour's granddaughter is a little more affected. In the girls case it was clear she was "different" as a baby.

Autism has a spectrum from barely noticeable to an observer, like myself, to case Heather had to deal with where she had to exclude an 8 year old because of his violent outbreaks against staff and pupils. The local special unit only managed to cope with him for a few weeks. I often wonder what happened to him.
Thank you. You didn’t need to explain but I’m happy to understand. We all deal the way we can. We have it all in the family, from adhd thru to severely autistic. My point remains, to be clear, other people’s reactions do matter but nowhere near as much as we think. And I’ve found it less and less of a consideration as I’ve aged. I am well aware I can’t coach you via a forum but I wish you well. Hopefully positive words can’t hurt. The irony is that I find text chat like this more prone to misunderstanding than f2f!

Back on topic, I have enjoyed a wonderful NHS experience at A&E this week. After a trip, they’ve patched me up enough from broken finger, black eye, cuts and bruises so that I can still go away this week and relax as planned. With an appointment on 20/5 for the finger to be fixed. I’ll order the staff around till then!

Took a walk down by Oare Creek with the dogs. The tide was very low and the mud very thick, Mabel jumped into the mud, so needed a bath when we got home. Putting the dogs back in the car we realized Lola had rolled in fox sh*t, so a bath for her too. Put us behind for the whole day as we had a couple of things to do, including making a birthday cake for Step FIL’s birthday, we were 90 minutes late to the celebration. Lovely evening and saw Daughter #2 for a catch up too.

Cheers BB
flip ... you never get a break from cleaning !!!!! what a nightmare rolling in fox turd !!!!!!

Sorting out ready for a skip that should be here Wednesday :(
A fair amount of work i'm not looking forward to , What with my bad hip and arthritis along with other minor issues.

Travelling from Shropshire to Poole. Stopped halfway ish in Gloucester and its raining that much I can't sleep , that'll teach me to moan about the heat

The other night I dreamt that we - a group of friends who have known one another since school and university days, and who meet a couple of times a year for lunch - that we began to gather together at an old fashioned, bare wood and sawdust pub whenever one of the group was dying. The relevant person would always sit on the same, plain wooden chair, and we'd reminisce, and laugh, drink pints of bitter out of dimpled mugs, tease each other, and listen to that person's favourite pieces of music.

Then, one day, it was me sitting on the plain wooden chair, and facing me across the table were just two of the friends, only one of whom I recognised, and I couldn't make my mind up which pieces of music I loved best.

I think the friend who I couldn't recognise was the reaper. He'd always been there.

Yesterday I received a card. It was from the school that I had attended in the early-mid 1970s. It showed a lovely watercolour painting of my old boarding house. Inside was a hand-written message from the current headmaster congratulating me on my forthcoming 65th birthday.

The primary school I went to in the 60s was recently knocked down for the third time since I left and the secondary school I moved on to was knocked down never to be rebuilt 5 years after I left. The University is still standing. Hope it wasn't me....

Walking at Blakeney across the marshland. Hearing birds call I have not heard before, a big furry caterpillars, some Norfolk reeds bundled together, thought they had gone and we imported them from Poland these days. Anyhow did not look enough to do more than a couple of dwellings. The air is bloody marvelous best tonic ever.

Decided to book a day off to get a haircut & do a few bits...
Did the weed and feed on the front & back lawns, now waiting for some rain....

Booked the airport parking for hols to Corfu (again) in August, plus some fast track passes for security, as it was a bit of a pain last year.

Picked up some shoes from M&S for the boy, that Mrs J had ordered for his 'Prom', when he finishes school (never did that in my day, you just did your last exam, then that was it...)

Had a surprise parcel delivery....a pair of Sennheiser True Wireless Momentum 4 ear buds. I bought some Momentum 3's just over a year ago, but they stopped charging properly, so sent them back to the Amazon approved repairer, and the blurb said they would be back within 2 weeks (received at repair on 23/3). After 3 weeks, no sign, so chased Amazon. They said they would sort it. After 4 weeks, still no sign, so contacted Amazon again. Many apologies, and they gave me a full refund, plus £15 for my inconvenience. Momentum 3's were no longer available, and I thought £259 was too much to pay for 4's (the 3's were about £180), so bought some Technics AZ60 (old version, knocked down to £99).
And now, I get some sealed box Momentum 4's in lieu of the repair for the 3's. Bonus....some free £259 ear buds. I wonder if Amazon will notice....

meeting my team. shortlisting for interviews - we have 51 applications for a lecturer position, and 47 for a senior lecturer position

advertisement

Back