advertisement

This is getting silly

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I said, I believe this suggests that you have ground noise issues!!
Please try the suggestions I have given - only takes a couple of mins

A ground noise issues measurable in any way?

I'm pretty damn certain the new ring was installed competently BTW. We used a well established local leccy, and it's all properly certified.

Ian, with or without the Vibe, and with a variety of DACs you have not noticed any differences. This to my mind means that all of the products tested have been audibly transparent, as they should be.

Therefore it is clear to me that what you 'may be missing' can only be distortion, and this is unwanted, so....

I think something may be holding Vital's system back. This needs to be investigated. Without the need for blind abx if/when he finds it he will know and everything will fall into place.

A ground noise issues measurable in any way?

I'm pretty damn certain the new ring was installed competently BTW. We used a well established local leccy, and it's all properly certified.

Jeez, just try the damned thing & listen - a couple of minutes is all it takes - I'm trying to help!!

The idea is to get all devices, including the source devices with no ground potential between them.
If there's a 'ground potential' between devices then significant current must be flowing in the ground, and this is a very bad thing, indicative of a fault of some form.

Lots of ground loop sense at http://www.douglas-self.com/ampins/groundloops/grndloop.htm

It's really unlikely that Ian has a ground loop between his DAC and pre. I doubt there is mains earth anywhere in either device.

Paul

Ah, come on - just try the damned thing & listen - a couple of minutes is all it takes - I'm trying to help!!

That's how I'm reading your input.

We're away for a couple of days (son's graduation), but I have Friday off so will do the suggested combos then, and spend the time to relax and listen.

It's really unlikely that Ian has a ground loop between his DAC and pre. I doubt there is mains earth anywhere in either device.

Paul
Huh?? Are there 3 pin plugs on your DAC & pre, Ian?

Lots of reasons being thrown up for not trying something which takes a couple of minutes???

John, CD Transport. No DAC in it.

As I've mentioned the Hydra has four leads. Two speakers, pre, DAC.. And I've run out!

Yes, that's what I thought so the CD transport is plugged in elsewhere. Can you not put a double adapter on one of the Hydra outlets to get another outlet???

...which is why I was trying to ascertain whether my new ring is suitable as a non-problematic supply, or how it can be checked.

Julf, I don't have an oscilloscope.

Huh?? Are there 3 pin plugs on your DAC & pre, Ian?

Lots of reasons being thrown up for not trying something which takes a couple of minutes???

Very often the earth pin on a three pin plug is not actually connected to anything, though.

Chris

Like being away?!!!! See previous post!

Yes, that's what I thought so the CD transport is plugged in elsewhere. Can you not put a double adapter on one of the Hydra outlets to get another outlet???

No, as a hydra is a plug with four kettle leads. I can of course use a double plug to connect the Hydra plus another kettle lead?

Very easy to check with an oscilloscope.

Yea, Ian, before you do anything, get yourself an oscilloscope & measure - you know you must & when you don't find anything don't forget to dispense with the experiment & argue for "proof" of why you should spend a couple of mins trying this.

Like being away?!!!! See previous post!
Yea, I saw that although I did also suggest the same (couple of mins) experiment about 5 days ago :)

No, as a hydra is a plug with four kettle leads. I can of course use a double plug to connect the Hydra plus another kettle lead?
Ok, I'm not familiar with a Hydra but should have guessed

Yea, Ian, before you do anything, get yourself an oscilloscope & measure - you know you must & when you don't find anything don't forget to dispense with the experiment & argue for "proof" of why you should spend a couple of mins trying this.

John, you appear to be getting a bit hostile? Apologies if I'm misreading your sentiment.

As I've said, I appreciate the input and will try what folk suggest. Other than an invite to hear a system demonstrating differences this thread is useful for such advice, and I'm taking it on board.

In case you keep missing it, I'm away for my son's graduation and will try things on Friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back