advertisement

Thinking about giving up on Vinyl

I accept that people hear a difference. In a way, to me, it's the same as the eternal cable debate - if you heard a difference, you heard a difference, and it matters not one iota whether that difference existed in reality or only in your own head. With my particular ears and equipment (and, quite possibly, bias from 50 years working with scientists), I never heard a difference, therefore there was simply no point in continuing with the major inconvenience (both utilisation and storage) of vinyl reproduction. As a predominantly classical listener, having to get up in mid-performance to turn the thing over was always a bore!

I wish you well in you music listening style ,
I will continue reveling in all my vinyl :D

8 is still a good number, do you still listen to any of them

Alan

Not often now , After the loss of Stewart Emmings some time ago
I had very high hopes for my Otaro MTR12 that never got sorted by the dynamic duo ( Lodgesound team ) The other half was Philip

I have 2 A77 away at the moment being looked at refurbed and one more 15ips A77 will follow when the 1st two return home

Very nice I like the revox machines
I wish I had bought your Otari MTR12 when you were selling it, I have a couple of MX55Ns and they are very nice sounding and well built machines
Alan

As an update I did sell all my Vinyl except for 20 albums I really liked and did sound very good on vinyl.
I haven't sold any of my turntables or my Paradise phono stage yet!!! :)
Alan

As an update I did sell all my Vinyl except for 20 albums I really liked and did sound very good on vinyl.
I haven't sold any of my turntables or my Paradise phono stage yet!!! :)
Alan

I did the same thing 30 years ago - updated most of my vinyl to CD. Cost a fortune and today it's one of my biggest regrets.

:(

I did a similar thing when CD came out but then started buying Vinyl again
This time I don't think I will be going back, I'm not missing it anyway, been using Tidal a lot and its like having your own record shop:)
Alan

I'm going through a period in my life, where I don't seem to have much time to play vinyl, but I won't be getting rid of my records or record players, because I don't figure that this is going to be a permanent situation!

Edit: I note that I said the same thing last December, but I'm still optimistic!

Despite being at home more now, I find that I still don't have as much time as I would have expected to listen to records, but I won't get rid of them or the record players, because I know that I would regret it when I get more time to myself.

I watched a youtube vid the other day where the chap reviewed about 40 pressings of Led Zep II and it just made me think what a bonkers format vinyl is! :)

I watched a youtube vid the other day where the chap reviewed about 40 pressings of Led Zep II and it just made me think what a bonkers format vinyl is! :)

The thing is though, that Led Zep II has been reissued so many times & a majority of them are pretty awful WRT their sound quality, so reviewing 40 pressings isn't as bonkers as you may think! I have the 2020 reissue & the Classic Records 2005 reissue & they're both pretty good.

The thing is though, that Led Zep II has been reissued so many times & a majority of them are pretty awful WRT their sound quality, so reviewing 40 pressings isn't as bonkers as you may think! I have the 2020 reissue & the Classic Records 2005 reissue & they're both pretty good.

Agreed, what I meant was that vinyl is subject to such variations in sound quality that it is really quite a daft medium in many ways. Part of me likes finding out that the best cut of Led Zep is the USA 1st press cut by Robert Ludwig (or was that Zep 1, i get confused) or that Blue Note 80th Anniversary presses are better than the 75th, but another part of me wants to scream and run into the sea!..

Agreed that collecting vinyl can be a frustrating experience; I have quite a few LPs that would benefit from being replaced by better sounding issues!

although to be fair, people (inc. me at one point!) are starting to do the same with the myriad digital (CD and onwards) masterings for some recordings as well.

advertisement

Back