advertisement

Thinking about giving up on Vinyl

Alan,
Nothing its going to sound better than a 15 IPS tape on your Studer A810 - that will always bring a smile to your face. If you end up buying more tapes, the that will soon take up more storage than your 400 LPs. Sorry to hear about the job situation - hope that improves in due course.
Charlie
Thanks Charlie and yes I agree, there is something about the sound of tape that really appeals to me.
Let me know if you ever want to sell any of your masters :cool:.
Alan

I think each physical media is sentenced to death eventually. The nowadays generations can still choose, however in the future, digital local sources/network or internet streaming is the way, 99.9%. Quality of digital based music playback is becoming close to that of mechanical, it is just question of the time, when vinyl and valve based amplification will be conquered, for good.
Those decision making factors what way to go will be easier then now, as higher quality of digital music reproduction will be simply more affordable.
I guess we can try to convince ourself otherwise, would that help?
They still will be a few individuals to differ from various reasons, but at the end, the hifi stuff is only addiction to achieve some perfection which doesn’t exist, or long term enjoyment based on music, as part of the happiness, which is also not existent in here. Maybe one should just just release the attachment if he feels so. Without regrets. Nothing is perfect. Never will be, here on the Earth

I guess we can try to convince ourself otherwise, would that help?

I think you miss the key aspect that humans like to physically connect with art. No way in hell does looking at a Jackson Pollock, Turner, Henry Moor or whatever on an iPad screen give anything like the impact of even hanging a half decent quality print or gallery exhibition poster on the wall. The same is true of more than a century of music which was absolutely defined by its format. There is something so perfect about any number of albums from just everything on Blue Note or Impulse through all those wonderful classic rock covers (Hawkwind etc) to everything on Factory or Warp to right now. In every scenario the design experience is just hopelessly diminished by being viewed on a screen. A White Album is a tangible real thing, each one different to the next (as is any numbered edition). How do you get an artist to sign an MP3? I have lots of signed albums, it’s a trick current musos are using to boost their sales in covid too, many beautiful limited & signed editions for sale over the past year. All future collectables, all true artworks.

To deny the physicality of the medium is to deny a huge part of a product that has for over a century now been a combination of transient music and lasting artefact. A Robert Johnson song is a fragile 78 record, not a download. Sure few of us will even get to see one, let alone own one, but that is what it is. That is how that artwork was forged. Sure, few of us will even be lucky enough to even own a 1st pressing of say Kind Of Blue, but the fact we have had many options to own very, very close facsimiles (e.g. Classic Records etc) still provides that tangible connection with that history. Don’t be too willing to give that up!

@Tony L yes, you are right about that I am not aware of all of the reasons, the desires, the attachments. However my bond with music started from childhood as listener, musician, even recording studio technician. As I am getting old, I do re-evaluate my priorities. And behavioural patterns. I found that even almost my whole life connected to the music, it is not as relevant any more and not as desired, even though I still enjoy it. It is human nature to be emotionally connected, I get it. In my case, I see being collector of items, is just slavery, sorry.. That is where we probably differ. That’s fine.
I think that if someone is undecided and ask for opinions of others, let him just decide what is his inner feeling about it. Our different opinions can help. It is not easy decision to make. Thank you for your opinion too.

Decorating complete and new carpet fitted.
I have a spare way on my consumer unit so I also took the opportunity to instal a dedicated radial to a double socket for the HIFI
System all back together now and it sounds excellent, a definite improvement than before.
My room is much more sparsely populated than before I am not putting back in a lot of clutter that didn't need to be there, I had 2 wall units for storing records and R2R tapes so I have only installed one of them and 2/3 filled it with R2R tapes and will select a 100 records or so that are my favourites, I also only installed 2 R2Rs instead 9
I could do with more HIFI rack shelves though as I want to install the lovely Phillips CD104 I bought from MikeP:cool: and a FM Radio
I haven't installed my turntable wall shelf either but will put it in storage for now
Alan

Alan, why don't you flog all your record playing kit and put the vinyl into storage. You're an ardent diyer so if you ever decide to revisit the black stuff you'll have hours of pleasure building new kit :)

Simon,
Not a bad idea and I am looking at replacing a book case in my study with a record storage unit so I can keep most of my records
If I sell my Pioneer turntable I would probably never find one again so I will box it up and keep it in the attic with the Technichs 1200, I will sell the Garrard 401. I still want to fit the calvin buffers to the Paradise phono stage and do a job on the power supply so that wont get done any time soon ?
Alan

I forgot you had a Paradise Alan:) Pride of ownership can make it hard to part with stuff especially if it’s a rare thing and even more so if you built it yourself.

It’s somewhat of a personal one rather than purely sound quality - I came to this point a couple of years ago so decided and sold my RP8 as I stream 99% and don’t listen to vinyl that much any more at all and had a TT for occasional Sunday sessions .... only to realise I missed it more than I thought I would 6 month later ... and bought another one again! So there I have it back, enjoying mostly looking at it while I keep mostly streaming :)

Thinking about it for me a lot of it is literally a lifetime of obsessive record collection more than anything. I’m sure I could very easily live with a decent minimal hi-fi system, e.g. old style Planar 3, Quad 34/303 & JR149s, which is pretty much where I started out. Something simple, reliable and natural in presentation. The thing I’d not easily give up at this point is all those amazing first pressings, signed copies, crazy limited edition pressings, high-end audiophile cuts etc etc that I’ve amassed since I started record buying back in the ‘70s, many of which have increased in value so much better than any savings or mainstream investment portfolio could ever dream of. I love owning my collection as it is my passage through life. I also like having it as a financial safety net knowing in some cases shortening the length by just 5mm could make me £500+! I’ve already cleared out all the filler and stuff I don’t care about. The vast majority of what remains needs to be there as long as I retain a functioning brain.

Simon,
Not a bad idea and I am looking at replacing a book case in my study with a record storage unit so I can keep most of my records
If I sell my Pioneer turntable I would probably never find one again so I will box it up and keep it in the attic with the Technichs 1200, I will sell the Garrard 401. I still want to fit the calvin buffers to the Paradise phono stage and do a job on the power supply so that wont get done any time soon ?
Alan
I built (reinforced!) shelving in my study, for my records.

It seemed a good idea, but after a while it irritated the heck out of me, having the music system down stairs and my records upstairs. Set against that, I think the edge of records look untidy, so I still feel inclined to hide them away.

I have a finite amount of space for vinyl and have committed myself to not going beyond that despite adding the occasional new or used LP. I just gave away 2 feet of albums to a local charity shop to make room for a couple of stacks of new acquisitions accumulated over the last couple of years. It felt good!

Thinking about it for me a lot of it is literally a lifetime of obsessive record collection more than anything. I’m sure I could very easily live with a decent minimal hi-fi system, e.g. old style Planar 3, Quad 34/303 & JR149s, which is pretty much where I started out. Something simple, reliable and natural in presentation. The thing I’d not easily give up at this point is all those amazing first pressings, signed copies, crazy limited edition pressings, high-end audiophile cuts etc etc that I’ve amassed since I started record buying back in the ‘70s, many of which have increased in value so much better than any savings or mainstream investment portfolio could ever dream of. I love owning my collection as it is my passage through life. I also like having it as a financial safety net knowing in some cases shortening the length by just 5mm could make me £500+! I’ve already cleared out all the filler and stuff I don’t care about. The vast majority of what remains needs to be there as long as I retain a functioning brain.

So what is the number of CD and LP’s you paired down to?

So what is the number of CD and LP’s you paired down to?

I don’t actually know as my own collection isn’t catalogued (that’s only the shop stock!). The vinyl is what I can get physically shelved in the front room, the CDs are free-range at the moment, they are all over the place as I ran out of storage space a long time ago. There will eventually be a ‘CD reckoning’, but not until it becomes very clear what the collector market is doing. I’m in the stockpiling phase at this stage, not buying any junk, just stuff I think will be sought out. As such the line between ‘my CDs’ and ‘future stock’ is far less defined than it is with vinyl.

That’s funny, my keepers are all catalogued and in new inner and outer sleeves. My seldom played “not worthy” records are not. That bunch probably has some value and I dig in there once and awhile and play them but I’m just too lazy and reluctant to sell any of them.

Absolutely agree. I started out with LPs in the late 60s and through the 70/80s. In the 1990s I gave up vinyl and bought only CDs which I played exclusively for some 25 years. However...since I retired I've got my LP collection out of storage and had my LP12 rebuilt and the love affair with vinyl has been rekindled. There is just something about LPs that makes them a pleasure to own and play. I've started sourcing LPs from the 60s and 70s (via discogs) that I missed at the time and it is now my huge collection of CDs that are sitting neglected in storage. I may never play them again - they are a soulless media, as is streaming. So for me, it is back to vinyl and the fun has returned to music collection and appreciation.

@Alan. Do not sell. If needs be put into storage. One day you will put the turntable back into action and rediscover those records. A wonderful thing that is. But you won’t be able to do that if you get shot of it now.

That’s funny, my keepers are all catalogued and in new inner and outer sleeves.

Everything in my own collection is obsessively graded, wet-cleaned, in a new inner and outer (obviously I retain the original inner). I’ve just never catalogued it as until comparatively recently I had a photo memory, knew *exactly* what I had and where it was within a cm or two. I’m actually OCD enough I can even remember where any flaws are, e.g. which albums have slight cover creases, corner-dings etc (obviously these get swapped-out when the opportunity arises). I’m very obviously less mentally sharp now and on occasion struggle to even remember what I retained or listed and sold of the more borderline stuff, and I do on occasion unearth stuff I thought had gone years ago, or worse can’t even recall buying. The core stuff I still know with real precision though. I’ve never catalogued it as it just felt like ‘work’ and I’ve always grasped that if the house burned down I simply couldn’t replace it. This is a whole lifetime of real obsession, many records there are just insanely rare and couldn’t be replaced, so why lose sleep about it? I only invoke bureaucracy in the record shop where it is required!

advertisement

Back