advertisement

Thinking about giving up on Vinyl

337alant

Negatively Biased
I have been unemployed since the march lock down and have enjoyed my time off at home
I have enjoyed my HIFI system everyday but have realised in the 9 months I have been off I have probably only listened to my, Vinyl system about 3 times, nothing wrong with my Vinyl system but I mainly listen to my digital system and R2R tapes.
Decided to decorate my audio room this week and spent a full day dismantling everything and moving is all to another room, I have almost finished the decorating and new carpet comes on Monday, but I'm thinking do I really want to put it all back in that room and moving on my Vinyl system and records would give me much more space.
Alan

I had a wonderful Linn LP 12 for 7 years and got rid of it in 1994 and never really regretted it.
I only listen to CD and my fm tuner nowadays and that doesn’t impair me to enjoy music on a daily basis.
I don’t miss the record carbon brush and the Styalst cleaner for the cartridge and no more popcorn in my speakers !

I rarely use my Rega P3 to listen to my vinyl, but it's not costing me anything to keep it in situ and I do have some LPs that are not available on CD or streaming services and some where the mastering of the digital albums (Madness, Boomtown Rats) mean vinyl is the only way to listen.

I did have a Naim CD555 sitting on the top of my rack and I did sell this as I was listening to streamed music mainly but I think very differently about my vinyl for the few times I decide to listen to it.

.sjb

Record your favourite LPs using one of your superb R2Rs - seems like a fine way to cut down on the clutter without sacrificing any of the LPs you might cherish. Must admit despite loving my SL1200G plus WAD valve phono stage I do frequently wonder why I keep it all, as 90% of my listening is CD or CD rips, partly due to health circumstances but also because I think digital is just so good now that I’m too content enjoying my music with minimal faffing.

Oh no , not another one walking the plank
You will regret it at a later date , If you don't need the money just store it away for a few years then be gobsmacked when you get it out again
Think long and hard , Long and hard

I have a boxed up deck from my last move, it does need the arm rewiring but in four years I have not made any attempt to rescue it from the darkness.
At some point I will need to either sort it and record all my LPs, or simply obtain CD/file copies of same.
I have exumed the rest of the very modest main HiFi but have only used it a few times!
Main duties have fallen to streaming through a Teac 300 with small Mission speakers.
I really can't believe I've whittled down from a full on system to something so incredibly basic. How priorities change as you move along in life.

The other day Mrs cj suggested I could sell it off due to lack uf use and I'm seriously contemplating it... :eek:

Despite being at home more now, I find that I still don't have as much time as I would have expected to listen to records, but I won't get rid of them or the record players, because I know that I would regret it when I get more time to myself.

Looking at your signature you have a quality record player(s) along with a bunch of other good equipment so I guess it's down to how many LPs you own, how much room they take up, how attached are you too them and if you would like to or can be bothered selling them, depending on the titles, condition and pressing they may be worth a lot or only a little, I assume you can record any that are not available in another format using one of your R2R machines.

I can’t imagine ever giving up vinyl entirely unless I became so physically compromised by age or whatever I couldn’t use it. Even if I slimmed down to just a couple of hundred of my absolute favourite pressings I could justify having a nice turntable. To be honest one of the many things that I like about my TD-124 is it is small, it would easy fit on a Target wallshelf or whatever, and it is an absolute design classic aesthetically so a beautiful ornament even if largely unused. I honestly can’t imagine being so pushed for space I couldn’t find room for it.

Over the past decades I’ve slimmed my record collection down substantially. I don’t want anything in there that is less than a really good EX/EX or better copy of a really good pressing of a title that matters to me. Ideally no duplicates either (though there are a just couple of exceptions there, but usually stuff I’m sitting on as an investment).

Ok thanks for your thoughts
I have decided to slim it down to 50 records and 1 turntable, I presently have 3 turntables, A Garrard 401-12" Jelco750L, Pioneer PLC590-Micro Seiki MA505 and a Technics 1200 with a Micro Sieki MA202 but I am going to put the stock arm back on it and will probably just keep the Techy
I dont have a big record collection only 400 so it should be easy to sort them out.

Alan

Despite not having one my instinct would be to keep the 401.

I was without a turntable for 18 months while my Xerxes was away for repair (a story in itself) and like you I asked myself if I really needed, or wanted, one. However when I got it back I played it a lot, and since I bought a TD 124 from this forum last year I’ve bought nothing but vinyl. So my recommendation would be to keep one of them.

I have decided to slim it down to 50 records and 1 turntable, I presently have 3 turntables, A Garrard 401-12" Jelco750L, Pioneer PLC590-Micro Seiki MA505 and a Technics 1200 with a Micro Sieki MA202 but I am going to put the stock arm back on it and will probably just keep the Techy

Assuming the Garrard is just too big I’d keep the Pioneer out of that lot assuming condition is good. A cool looking thing with a great arm!

As somebody who left vinyl for many years and only returned a couple of years ago, I’d suggest keeping a vinyl system if finances allow. Really didn’t realise what I was missing and probably 80 per cent of my purchases now are on vinyl.

Ok thanks for your thoughts
I dont have a big record collection only 400 so it should be easy to sort them out.

Alan
I think your instincts are correct here. I have gone from having an LP12 I seemed to spend more time tinkering with that listening too, to an admittedly not quite standard Techy and am listening to records far more than I was. Tinkering reduced to cartridge swapping that is fairly rapid and straightforward.

I’ve been thinking the same and now facing enforced downsizing. The other thing playing on my mind, and I know there will be howls of outrage, is the current vinyl fashion won’t last so now is a good time to sell. I’ll probably keep about a hundred and get something unfashionable from eBay to play them on.

Ah, well that makes a lot of sense then, given that your commitment to vinyl obviously isn't very high in your priorities. I can't see me ever giving up vinyl tbh.

The other thing playing on my mind, and I know there will be howls of outrage, is the current vinyl fashion won’t last
I'm curious....what leads you to that observation?
Yesterday, I was in my local record store and feeling self-conscious, as every other customer was at least 40 years younger than me!

Alan, don't do it.

The decks? - sure sell them all off, easily replaced. Demand for vinyl is such that new decks will continue to emerge for many years to come. So if the desire to play vinyl returns you will have plenty of choice, plus of course the used market is going nowhere.

Keep the records.

Back when I was a teen my Grandfather decided to sell off close to a 1000 records to slim down his collection. I was all for it at the time, I mean to me it was old fogey music, you know Ella, Nat King Cole, Sinatra....
So the racks were emptied into the back of white van man record dealer for next to nothing.
Didn't take the passing of too many years to realise what I fool I'd been to go along with this, and now of course I'd love to listen to those records.

Think carefully.

advertisement

Back