advertisement

Thinking about giving up on Vinyl

That’s where you want to get to! When I first started the pfm shop it was easy to find stock from my own collection; many third or fourth albums from bands that were only good for two, albums bought because I thought I liked one track, stuff landed as random punts because the cover looked interesting or it was on a label I’d liked etc etc etc. It was very easy to score a good couple of feet of stuff, but each time I go sifting in the front room these days I find very little if anything. I am currently slowly pruning my classical collection down as my jazz collection is growing at such a crazy rate as so much is happening in that genre at present and it needs shelf space (I have most of the classical on CD too).

I have quite a few 2 & 3 copies of the same album, when I look at them they all look good some are A1/B1 copies so I will have to play them to here which is best.
Alan

I have quite a few 2 & 3 copies of the same album, when I look at them they all look good some are A1/B1 copies so I will have to play them to here which is best.

Those should be the first to go. I try to have a ‘no duplicates’ rule, certainly there has to be a seriously good reason to keep more than one of the same title, e.g. mono & stereo. I’ve got very few other than a couple of long-term investments (e.g. I have the sealed Manchester Art Gallery Joy Division & New Order and no interest in opening them as I have original Factory pressings). The only proper duplicates I can think of is I have both the Nimbus Supercut and Classic Records 2xLP of Kind Of Blue, and a fairly early US and a 70s Japanese copy of Cannonball Adderley’s Somethin’ Else. Both pairs sound so different as to be worth retaining, plus all are good investments so no penalty in doing so. I’ve also got at least two copies of everything I’ve done myself plus the test pressing. With everything else I just keep the very best copy I can find and have no sentimentality about swapping out a copy I’ve had for 40+ years. With some titles I’ve been through many, many copies to arrive at that near mint first press or whatever.

What I would say is if you regret doing it at a later date, the deck will be a lot more expensive when you try to buy one back. Second-hand turntable and arm prices have skyrocketed let alone new prices!

I have been unemployed since the march lock down and have enjoyed my time off at home
I have enjoyed my HIFI system everyday but have realised in the 9 months I have been off I have probably only listened to my, Vinyl system about 3 times, nothing wrong with my Vinyl system but I mainly listen to my digital system and R2R tapes.
Decided to decorate my audio room this week and spent a full day dismantling everything and moving is all to another room, I have almost finished the decorating and new carpet comes on Monday, but I'm thinking do I really want to put it all back in that room and moving on my Vinyl system and records would give me much more space.
Alan

Sorry to hear about the job Alan!
Sometimes these things turn out to be a blessing though. I hope so!

I sold my LP12 and all my LPs. THe LP12 had been in the loft for >10 years and only brought down for archiving to digital.
I feel good about the decluttering and have never regretting unloading them. My attachment to these things diminished to the point where I no longer cared about them. I am pleased that other people, who care more than me, will get pleasure from them.

I think that's the real question. Do you care about them?

Ive just went through 100 albums to pick out ones I can sell, I picked out 3 to sell :rolleyes:---- S**t this is tough :D

Alan

There's some strong keep-the-vinyl energy radiating from your post, Alan! What some may deride as a fad has been going strong for 20 years now, which suggests if nothing else that your LPs are a good investment and worth hanging on to. (That said, like another poster here, I don't give a fat, wet fart about vinyl prices: I'd happily go back to the days when I scored the entire back half of Miles Davis's catalog for $1 a record at a flea market here in NYC. Those were the days!) If you feel the need to cull, I'd say get rid of the Techy -- you can easily get another if the mood strikes.

David
No problem about work really I have worked solid since 1973 so this strange year has been opportunity for me to take a well earned break, I finished a job as a project engineer on a Gas Compression Station in Greece in March, great job and the wife spent quite a lot of time over there as well so it was great for us. Will be looking for a new job in January?
I have moved all my records upstairs into my study, I have a system there with my Rogers A100, T100 tuner and JR 149 speakers so I will use my Technich's 1200 Mk2 for evaluation of records.
I have to say that I am finding it hard to part with my records but I will see if my interest grows over the next 6 months and then reassess?.
My Digital and CD system downstairs is incredibly good IMHO and I am completely satisfied with that ATM
From an analogue point of view my R2R's keep me satisfied in that department:cool::D
Alan

from someone who sold approx 2/3's of a 600 ish album record collection in the early 90's, my advice is don't do it unless you have to!
Box them up and store them out the way (loft etc), this is what I did with the remainder of my collection
Six years ago we had a ground floor extension built on the house which amongst other things created my listening space, this is when I went back to vinyl.
It's the best thing I ever did, getting the reminder of my collection out of loft after some 20 or so years was also fun as I hadn't got a clue what was left, I've always looked after my stuff and everything was in fantastic playable condition, with a few surprises value wise.
I'm now in the process of selling all of my CD's on Discogs and it's really surprised me how much some of these are worth!!
I just love the whole vinyl experience and the physicality of the format wins it for me

Not sure what the vote count is - but I stuck my circa 1k black disks in the basement as a trial period a 18months or so back, and can’t see myself bringing them out again unless :

A) I get a bigger house with a dedicated listening room! We have so much more space now :)
B) I could trust myself to not get addicted to cart / arm / phono stage / TT swapping. It was becoming an obsession which I wasn’t enjoying anymore. I would get one new bit then start scrolling for the next before it was even delivered.
C) The kids move out and I could actually spend real time flicking through and enjoying the tactile nature of playing an album
D) I for some reason stop enjoying the joys of TIDAL streaming and all the new music I have discovered since ditching vinyl, where I couldn’t afford to buy anymore / store anymore :)
E) If I stop enjoying high end headphones which I think are more suited to digital music without the pops and crackles of vinyl
F) There is no F

I think it made me realise that I was addicted to “owning things” rather than just enjoying music. I am now in a phase of my life with 2 small kids and a 20 year old where I am craving living in a pristine white house with no possessions.... and only the one thing I need in each cupboard each time I check!

And nothing on top of cupboards or on the floor.

Actually please check the classified for 3 kids and a house full of stuff....

...If I sell my Pioneer turntable I would probably never find one again so I will box it up and keep it in the attic...
If you do that it will go out of circulation... and when you go out of circulation there will be nobody there who appreciates it.

Surely it would be more satisfying (even if a bit of a wrench) to find it an appreciative new home?

And no, I'm not after one :)

I listen mostly to classical music, for which digital is indubitably superior. I was very happy to wave goodbye to vinyl for new purchases in the 80s. I subsequently spent many, many hours digitising the LPs that didn't make it to CD... and removing all the clicks and pops from the resulting files.

...until comparatively recently I had a photo memory, knew *exactly* what I had and where it was within a cm or two... I’m very obviously less mentally sharp now...
I'm 63, and first noticed sharpness-loss when I was struggling to put together a thesis in my early 40s. I have since realised that I am not any stupider than I was then; I simply have to accommodate the change in the way my brain works. Sharpness may be ebbing... insight is, if anything, growing with experience.

Last edited:
Perhaps I'm a deaf old git, but I could only ever tell the difference between CD and vinyl in my particular situation by the fact that one had surface noise and the other not. Being ancient, I existed before CD and had hundreds of records. Like the OP, I found I was listening less and less to the vinyl - I simply couldn't be bothered any more, I wanted the music, not me, to play. So, I digitised the lot (took years!) and sold the lot + LP12 to a friend. I have never regretted it and shall never go back.

Alan that's a shame , As you are giving up on vinyl , You could re gift it
Save it going spare , Cough Cough Wink Wink :rolleyes:

Perhaps I'm a deaf old git, but I could only ever tell the difference between CD and vinyl in my particular situation by the fact that one had surface noise and the other not. Being ancient, I existed before CD and had hundreds of records. Like the OP, I found I was listening less and less to the vinyl - I simply couldn't be bothered any more, I wanted the music, not me, to play. So, I digitised the lot (took years!) and sold the lot + LP12 to a friend. I have never regretted it and shall never go back.

I dont think that Vinyl is automatically better than CD or a digital rip, all of the formats are very variable on different versions and condition.
I have definitely heard a difference on different versions of Vinyl and CD, I have some Mofi original Master Vinyl and they do sound fantastic but some original pressings can sound just as good, I have some Hi Res downloads and some SACDs and sometimes this is better than the Vinyl and CD.
I can happily enjoy all formats but Digital playback from Jriver media beats them all hands down for convenience.
Alan

I dont think that Vinyl is automatically better than CD or a digital rip, all of the formats are very variable on different versions and condition.
I have definitely heard a difference on different versions of Vinyl and CD, I have some Mofi original Master Vinyl and they do sound fantastic but some original pressings can sound just as good, I have some Hi Res downloads and some SACDs and sometimes this is better than the Vinyl and CD.
I can happily enjoy all formats but Digital playback from Jriver media beats them all hands down for convenience.
Alan
I accept that people hear a difference. In a way, to me, it's the same as the eternal cable debate - if you heard a difference, you heard a difference, and it matters not one iota whether that difference existed in reality or only in your own head. With my particular ears and equipment (and, quite possibly, bias from 50 years working with scientists), I never heard a difference, therefore there was simply no point in continuing with the major inconvenience (both utilisation and storage) of vinyl reproduction. As a predominantly classical listener, having to get up in mid-performance to turn the thing over was always a bore!

advertisement

Back