advertisement

The watch thread: pocket, wrist, sporty, showy? You name it!

Thoughts on a super-cheap everyday beater that will take a bit of a abuse?

I'm wondering about the Casio Marlin which Amazon has for a bargain £50:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009KYJAJY/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Definitely looks good, but the page led me to look at the Invicta Pro Diver which is slightly more expensive but a Seiko automatic movement. Quite tempting

The Marlin is a stone cold bargain, but unfortunately only seems to be available in 44mm case diameter, whereas the Invicta Pro Divers can be had in 38mm.

No contest. Anything over 38mm is just too big for me.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
^ Almost a dead ringer for the Submariner that Invicta:

OSHKBdYh.png

I suspect the bracelet might be a bit lightweight/on the budget side - but easily changed if it were. Seems really good bang for the buck.

Last edited:
Gentlemen of the watch thread, can you advise please ..

I'd like to start clearing out a few things of which I have acquired over the years which are simply never going to be used again. This is one such thing, a Speedmaster Automatic I bought new from the US back in 1999.

aR3ucZYl.jpg

I had it recently fully serviced by a decent independent (recommended from in here), and I think it should fall into the good/fairly desirable category in terms of being one owner/original box, manuals,receipt plus the recent service.

At one time I suspected the service costs for it as a chronometer were almost on a par with what it would fetch on the local s/h market, but after getting it serviced at reasonable cost, and having seen how the prices have risen (along with everything else) over the last few years, I'd like to take the plunge and sell it now.

Can I ask your advice on how I might go about selling it to (a) get decent market value for it and (b) avoid the hassles and risk of fraud with electronic payments from online/overseas buyers if I need to go that way ?

Can I ask your advice on how I might go about selling it to (a) get decent market value for it and (b) avoid the hassles and risk of fraud with electronic payments from online/overseas buyers if I need to go that way ?

I don't suppose you're a member of any watch forums? Selling on these is relatively painless and most members are genuine enthusiasts that buy and sell watches to enjoy different models. People significantly over or under pricing are usually given honest advice to achieve fair market value. But like here you'll need a minimum post count and length of membership to be able to post a for sale thread, how quickly do you want to sell?

That's a lovely watch but the automatic ("Speedy reduced") isn't as desirable as the manual wind moonwatch unfortunately.

Aye - I reckoned the watch forums were probably a good bet.

Not a member of any though, and I whilst I recognise the requirement that you play a part in the forums before being allowed to hawk your wares there, not sure I would really want to start trawling and posting in any particular one just to get the required post count. For one thing it's not entirely in the spirit of the thing - but more critically, Id probably end up buying more watches than I ever manage to offload :)

Possibly daft idea - but have you considered advertising it on PFM?

advertisement

Back