advertisement

The watch thread: pocket, wrist, sporty, showy? You name it!

My daily is nothing too exciting - Fēnix 6X Pro Solar:

9c326Lpl.jpg

FWIW I don't think the Solar was worth the extra if anyone's thinking about getting one - I would've gone for the sapphire glass version instead with hindsight (although I've fitted what's supposedly a sapphire screen protector which fits really well and should prevent any nasty dings on the screen. You can just about see the edges of it in the pic above.

And yes, I've not walked enough this morning - I know, I know..! :D

Ah, OK. We don’t do parking meters in the PRW and I’ve never dived in my life (for more than five seconds anyway - by the time I’d rotated the dial I’d be on the surface again.) Please excuse my ignorance. People really wear these megabuck watches underwater? Wow.

I think historically they did, but I've never seen anyone actually dive with one. If folks have a watch on while diving it'll most likely be a dive computer (I've got a basic Suunto one) although both my wife and I have sometimes worn our MWC watches while diving but those are just cheapo's.

Procured another Seiko Kinetic 'self-winding quartz' a little while back - cheap acquisition off 'tBay. First ever titanium watch. Had a heck of a time trying to replace the capacitor, until I bought a complete (correct) capacitor and proper screwdriver kit from another supplier on eBay. Sorted now - and even managed to work on the brushed finish to get rid of the worst of the ever-present titanium watch scratches with some kitchen scouring pads and a lot of patience :)

eCY0mTml.jpg

I still have an issue with one of the bracelet pins that holds the links together. Normally these consist of a pin and collar arrangement - that fit into a hole drilled through the full width of the link:

FNH2oz0l.png

The problem with the link in question is that on the link in question in mine, the hole in the 'receiver' link has not been drilled all the way through. If you look at the diagram above, the particular link on mine has a hole in the right hand side of the upper link (below the pin) but none on the left side. Currently there does seems to be something holding the central joining piece of the lower link to the left hand side of the upper piece - but nothing on the right, which allows the two parts to almost come apart.

From probing the hole it appears as if there is perhaps a short segment of pin holding the central link to the left hand side. Looks to me as if the original design might have been for a shorter pin designed to be inserted from the right and pushed through the central link down into a blind hole in the left.

I cant find any reference to shorter / less than full width pins of this style being used anywhere on the web though, and am at a bit of a loss as to how to go about fixing it.

Anybody any ideas or pointers on how to go about it ?

^ Quick update - got it sorted. Judicious use of a pack of sewing needles of various diameters, a set of vernier callipers and a Dremel, produced a perfect replacement pin of correct diameter and appropriate length, which was then gently tapped into place. Job done :)

That's rather nice. If I'm being critical that rubber strap looks a bit cheap, but that's easily fixed and the rest of it is bang on. In other news, I've just succumbed to a vostok, for the princely sum of £65 to the door. That's it customs don't hit it for VAT. It's being sent surface mail from Christopol or wherever they are, ETA about May 2023. It's on an express wheelbarrow, apparently, and as soon as Sergei has done that fencing job just outside Moscow he'll be right on it, no messing. Only 1500 miles to go.

I found their order and delivery service excellent. What one did you go for this time Steve ?
The Amphibian 710439. It's rather unusual. The 710 case is a distinctive shape, and the 439 face is (a) green, which I like, and (b) the chequerboard ring is unique. I'm fairly sure I won't see another out and about, which is part of the appeal. It just looks like a bit of fun. I know that the bracelets are rather cheap and sharp edged, so I can see that changing. Maybe a NATO (again) or a chunky leather affair. Leather NATO, why not.

izJ2uQbl.png

Cool :)

I think that's very similar to mine - albeit with the date window at the 6 instead of 3, and the green/chequered edge dial. That cushion-shaped case does look rather well on a relatively thick Nato btw..

I've just succumbed to a vostok, for the princely sum of £65 to the door. That's it customs don't hit it for VAT. It's being sent surface mail from Christopol or wherever they are, ETA about May 2023. It's on an express wheelbarrow, apparently, and as soon as Sergei has done that fencing job just outside Moscow he'll be right on it, no messing. Only 1500 miles to go.

My 2403/581887 ordered from Christopol on 26th Oct,(£45 inc. postage) arrived this morning.

887-bezh-cif_720_600_png_5_100.png
(stock image)

advertisement

Back