advertisement

The watch thread: pocket, wrist, sporty, showy? You name it!

Lovely watch. The great thing about the S/S Rolex sports watches is that you can buy with your head as well as your heart as they steadily rise in value over time, so ownership is effectively free, even including servicing! Mine is a sub date which has been fantastic. Oh, and a £15 Casio for knocking about in, which keeps better time but that's not the point!
Right about the investment!

Daytona ss with stainless steel surround and old sub date together of which have increased in value ten fold.

I’ve a 1972 Sub which might be ripe for moving on next year. Gotta be someone that needs a 50th birthday present ;)

Those cut-off numerals on the IWC are plain wrong, surely?

Otherwise it's lovely, but I couldn't live with those. :confused:

Same. Not in a million years could I sleep knowing there was something like that on the bedside table beside me - or indeed in the house :)

Fair enough. But surely one of the pleasures of a mechanical watch is appreciating the engineering that's gone into it. For me complications are just an extension of that. Doesn't need to be actually useful - how many people actually use their chronographs to time stuff?

You'd be surprised - I even use the outer bezel on my Sub to time important stuff like how long do I have to wait before this interminable Zoom call times out, how long I've been stuck in this car-park waiting for the better half (who promised to be back 'in a jiffy') , how long before I have to go and pick up one or other offspring from the train-station and not leave them 'standing in the wet waiting for their father again'..

Life affirming stuff :)

Maybe it looks better in person but that looks quite ragged. But at the price, well, you've nowt to loose really. Still wouldn't touch it, you either buy/cherish the real thing or save your pennies in my book.

Agreed. I would never buy a watch that is a blatant rip-off of someone else's design.

OT I know, but I do love this horological device.

Ditto - we have an older model, like this, with the grooves in the torsion pendulum wheel, as opposed to the circular depressions:

https://www.kronos360.com/23592/jaeger-lecoultre-atmos-caliber-540-290000-4473290000.jpg

There's something quite magical about it as it twirls silently, with the light catching the various facets. I do love the advice to the effect that, although the thing will last 600-odd years, because of air pollution, a clean is recommended every 20!

I’ve a 1972 Sub which might be ripe for moving on next year. Gotta be someone that needs a 50th birthday present ;)
Perhaps someone in China? From an article in today's Financial Times:

China’s once enthusiastic property investors are turning their attention to luxury watches as a better store of value in the face of slowing economic growth and President Xi Jinping’s intensifying campaign against housing speculation.

Multiple high-end watch resellers told the Financial Times that business had taken off in recent months as wealthy individuals stopped buying additional homes and instead spent their extra cash on luxury timepieces such as Rolex and Patek Philippe.

The shopping spree, said experts, has contributed to a 40 per cent surge in China’s imports of Swiss watches in the first 10 months of this year even as the broader economy cooled off.
Popular models such as Rolex Submariners can now command as much as five times their original price.

I was surprised by what I found and reported in post 1923 - perhaps I shouldn't have been.

Perhaps someone in China? From an article in today's Financial Times:

The shopping spree, said experts, has contributed to a 40 per cent surge in China’s imports of Swiss watches in the first 10 months of this year even as the broader economy cooled off.
Popular models such as Rolex Submariners can now command as much as five times their original price.

I was surprised by what I found and reported in post 1923 - perhaps I shouldn't have been.

FFS I'm heading to Shanghai in a few weeks.... Thought I might invest in a few Rolex whilst I'm out there. I don't have the patience for wait lists though.

Is that an official Rolex product? Looks like a Trotters special!
Very much so. I remember going to Baselworld, the former watch and jewellry fair, when our elder daughter was a hostess there during her university years. The first thing that I encountered, directly facing each other, were the booths of the two great Geneva independents, Rolex and Patek Philippe. In its show window, Rolex had several of these:

https://secure-journal.hautehorlogerie.org/wp-content/uploads/tx_news/datejust_pearlmaster_34_3.jpg

or something very like it - I needed sunglasses to look at it.

PP, on the other hand, has one set of this:

https://41ruedurhonedotcom.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/n5kwumee.jpg?w=584

Star Caliber 2000 (yes, you really did have to buy four - there were only 5 sets made, I believe), a steal at $7.5 million.

Well ordered this about 20 days ago and tracked it through Poland then the Netherlands and finally the UK via Royal Mail . No Vat or Duty charged as the factory declared the value as $20 whic was not something I asked them to do . Quite like the watch the repositioned 12 o'clock take a bit of getting used to. Still do not like leather straps so will probably look out for a nice black silicon one which I find more comfortable .

581098_1.png

Well ordered this about 20 days ago and tracked it through Poland then the Netherlands and finally the UK via Royal Mail . No Vat or Duty charged as the factory declared the value as $20 whic was not something I asked them to do . Quite like the watch the repositioned 12 o'clock take a bit of getting used to. Still do not like leather straps so will probably look out for a nice black silicon one which I find more comfortable .

581098_1.png

I was looking at those too. Glad to hear it arrived without any bother. I quite like the tilted face.

As far as I know, the repositioned dial is to make it easier to read while holding the steering wheel of a car or controls of a MIG jet or something.

Nice quirk.

As far as I know, the repositioned dial is to make it easier to read while holding the steering wheel of a car or controls of a MIG jet or something.

Nice quirk.

Makes sense - the first thing I thought of was an Omega Chronostop driver (where the positioning is obviously a little more extreme!)

That SD looks nice. In fact, I never understood why Rolex persist with the (IMHO) horrific cyclops since it spoils the look of the date Sub (and is the reason I won’t have a date Sub).

advertisement

Back