advertisement

The watch thread: pocket, wrist, sporty, showy? You name it!

Donate a donation, present a present. I know "gifting" is used, maybe originally an Americanism? But somehow it sounds odd. I think there was a thread a while back about verbing nouns.

Donate a donation, present a present. I know "gifting" is used, maybe originally an Americanism? But somehow it sounds odd. I think there was a thread a while back about verbing nouns.
As you suggest it's another example of "verbing". "Verb" isn't a word that you can use as a verb, either, paradoxically. Gifted is of course an adjective.

Help with identification, if anyone recognises style or model?

Family heirloom, stored in a box with a Mauthe maker's leaflet, but no idea if it's a Mauthe or not .... any ideas? Face appears to be engraved metal, with the roman numerals clearly in relief above the rest of the engraving. No maker's mark whatsoever, hallmarked on inside of rear cover

20230520-184341.jpg

Got the movement to hinge out, but no serial number or maker's name anywhere to be seen...

20230520-193140.jpg

20230520-193205.jpg

eBay sellers have some very similar-looking cases, but haven't found any with a movement in them ...

Much better. Bought a used gmt master from david Duggans shop in london 12 years ago for £3k. Value now £15k. Still looks wonderful so a special occasion Watch only now

How many links from a Rolex Explorer bracelet would you need to have enough metal for it to be recast as a wedding band? Anybody in the know?

I just had an Idea of which metal I want for my wedding band and if I can 'steal' a link or maybe two from my own watch then that's what I'd like to do. If I'd need to sacrifice the whole bracelet well that might be a step too far as I might want or need to sell the watch one day.

A stray post but I'm putting it out there in case somebody knows about this stuff.

In an antique shop yesterday I spotted an Omega Speedie for £110 listed as 'film prop with automatic movement'.

Is 'film prop' a well known euphemism for 'knock off'?

advertisement

Back