advertisement

The watch thread: pocket, wrist, sporty, showy? You name it!

How many links from a Rolex Explorer bracelet would you need to have enough metal for it to be recast as a wedding band? Anybody in the know?

I just had an Idea of which metal I want for my wedding band and if I can 'steal' a link or maybe two from my own watch then that's what I'd like to do. If I'd need to sacrifice the whole bracelet well that might be a step too far as I might want or need to sell the watch one day.

A stray post but I'm putting it out there in case somebody knows about this stuff.
Weigh a wedding band, weigh a link. Then you know. If I were doing this I'd use the link and supplement it with other metal of the same type. Presumably you are talking about 9ct gold? That way you know the gold from your link is in there. The rest? Well, gold 's gold. In fact it isn't, 9ct gold is mostly copper.It's only 37.5% gold, hence the 375 in the hallmark.

Weigh a wedding band, weigh a link. Then you know. If I were doing this I'd use the link and supplement it with other metal of the same type. Presumably you are talking about 9ct gold? That way you know the gold from your link is in there. The rest? Well, gold 's gold. In fact it isn't, 9ct gold is mostly copper.It's only 37.5% gold, hence the 375 in the hallmark.

It's a stainless steel bracelet (904L, I think they call it). If it's pretty much 1:1 in terms of what you put in and what you get out then that's great as one or two links at most should be enough. I was thinking there would be a lot of waste and you'd need four or five link to cover waste.

It's a stainless steel bracelet (904L, I think they call it). If it's pretty much 1:1 in terms of what you put in and what you get out then that's great as one or two links at most should be enough. I was thinking there would be a lot of waste and you'd need four or five link to cover waste.
That should be very easy to work. I've not come across 904L much, it's related to 316 and 316L which is heavily used in food and chemical manufacturing because it is very corrosion resistant. 904L is more corrosion resistant again and has more chromium, so it's brighter and used in watches if 316L is felt not to be good enough. Both are austenitic, have moybdenum to improve corrosion performance, low carbon (the L part), etc. 316L is easy to weld, which is important when you are making food machinery. You can of course make a ring out of 904L stainless steel, or 316L for that matter. The salt in your sweat won't attack it. 904 is I think harder so more wear resistant.

You must be very attached to your watch, because otherwise a couple of links are just a few grams of stainless steel and you can buy 904L stainless by the yard for very little.

That should be very easy to work. I've not come across 904L much, it's related to 316 and 316L which is heavily used in food and chemical manufacturing because it is very corrosion resistant. 904L is more corrosion resistant again and has more chromium, so it's brighter and used in watches if 316L is felt not to be good enough. Both are austenitic, have moybdenum to improve corrosion performance, low carbon (the L part), etc. 316L is easy to weld, which is important when you are making food machinery. You can of course make a ring out of 904L stainless steel, or 316L for that matter. The salt in your sweat won't attack it. 904 is I think harder so more wear resistant.

You must be very attached to your watch, because otherwise a couple of links are just a few grams of stainless steel and you can buy 904L stainless by the yard for very little.

I'm not a jewelry guy and wearing a stainless steel wedding band that used to be a link in my Explorer is as far as I'll ever go in terms of becoming Mr Flash. The connection is enough flash for me. Fwiw, I've never worn the bracelet so it's in perfect condition... perfect for a higher purpose.

I'll ask the jeweler who made my OH's engagement ring how much something like that would cost and see what he says. If it can be done for less than a hundred quid then I reckon that'll do it.

I'd go for the Sinn.

The Nomos is a nice design, but ruined for me by the mixing of Arabic and Roman numerals. It just looks daft.

Yes, totally agree, I’ve posted similar in the past. I like Sinn watches but I don’t like the font that Sinn is written in.

Cheers BB

Yes, totally agree, I’ve posted similar in the past. I like Sinn watches but I don’t like the font that Sinn is written in.

Cheers BB
I'd go for the Sinn.

The Nomos is a nice design, but ruined for me by the mixing of Arabic and Roman numerals. It just looks daft.

Indeed. I like both Sinn (U1 for example) and Nomos. Just not those two.

This Nomos:

IMG-8239.jpg

Both are 38.5mm, one is manual and other automatic , Which would you go for?
Of the 2 the Nomos, but I prefer the white face Nomos posted later. The strap doesn't work, NATOs are for sports and field watches.

I'd go for the Sinn.

There's a name for that style, it's a very common theme in 50s and 60s style watches.

advertisement

Back
Top Bottom