advertisement

The watch thread: pocket, wrist, sporty, showy? You name it!

I'm not crazy about that. I think a Pilot needs to be as legible as possible and that one looks too confusing. Presumably meant to be a carbonfibre dial.

I tried a Pilot Chrono many years back myself(maybe a 3777 ?) . I liked it well enough, but not enough to buy it.

I am not sure whether people are reacting to my comments on watch size or the Flightmaster. Anyway here is a great write up (by the famed, late Chuck Maddox) on this wonderful but underrated and relatively unknown chronograph (compared to the Speedy):

https://chronomaddox.com/flightmasterarticle.html

Interesting watch. The Omega ad made me smile though... "clear to read" isn't what springs to mind!

fmlooks.jpg

Hehehe, 'easy to read' is not what springs to mind when looking at this watch. It's a very striking watch on the wrist especially with the colors and the buttons/crowns all are color-coordinated as well...

Actually, looking at it head on, it reminds me of an astronaut's helmet.

I've owned many IWCs but all vintage ones. You may even call me a fan. I love their dress watches, the cal. 83 and 89 and the military watches (WWW, mk 11, mk12, even mk 15).

But for me, they have lost their way...their technical watches just do not look good. They look like they are copying Sinn watches, except that Sinn watches just look better and fit for purpose.

I'm not crazy about that. I think a Pilot needs to be as legible as possible and that one looks too confusing. Presumably meant to be a carbonfibre dial.

I tried a Pilot Chrono many years back myself(maybe a 3777 ?) . I liked it well enough, but not enough to buy it.

I bought this little 1950s Onza for a tenner at an antiques fair at the weekend. The dial is so aged that in dim light it's a struggle to tell the time but I find it rather charming. So far it seems to be keeping good time.

Onza was a Swiss manufacturer formed in 1923. Largely forgotten now they for a short time held the record for the deepest underwater watch. Like many of their peers the arrival of quartz watches in the 1970s destroyed their business.

fullsizeoutput-6e0.jpg

I bought this little 1950s Onza for a tenner at an antiques fair at the weekend. The dial is so aged that in dim light it's a struggle to tell the time but I find it rather charming. So far it seems to be keeping good time.

Onza was a Swiss manufacturer formed in 1923. Largely forgotten now they for a short time held the record for the deepest underwater watch. Like many of their peers the arrival of quartz watches in the 1970s destroyed their business.

fullsizeoutput-6e0.jpg
It's Onsa, and they are apparently trying to revive the brand, but not particularly successfully:

https://www.thewatchforum.co.uk/threads/onsa.93758/

I too like the idea of a perpetual calendar watch, but not at any price. During lockdown I was losing track of which day it was and also wondering what to do if the battery on my quartz watch failed when jewellers were closed. I solved both problems and the perpetual one, by buying a Casio Lineage radio controlled solar watch. Always accurate to the second, no battery changes, titanium and likely to last a good while and all for £220. I admire vintage mechanical watches like Omega, Longines orJLC but the costs just don’t stack up for me, so I scratch that itch by buying 19thC mechanical clocks with the works on display such as skeleton or carriage clocks. And compared to vintage watches, relatively inexpensive.

Your post prompted me do do a bit of a search, and I ended up with one of these:

https://www.casio-europe.com/euro/products/watches/radio-controlled/lcw-m170db-1aer/

It’s very good looking IMO and I do like the solar charging/radio time setting concept. The display at the bottom isn’t as clear as the image suggests, but I can read it well enough.

Question: what’s the best way to shorten the strap? Obviously it involves taking links out, but any advice on how best to do this would be appreciated!

Your post prompted me do do a bit of a search, and I ended up with one of these:

https://www.casio-europe.com/euro/products/watches/radio-controlled/lcw-m170db-1aer/

It’s very good looking IMO and I do like the solar charging/radio time setting concept. The display at the bottom isn’t as clear as the image suggests, but I can read it well enough.

Question: what’s the best way to shorten the strap? Obviously it involves taking links out, but any advice on how best to do this would be appreciated!
When I was waiting for it to arrive I read some users’ reviews which suggested it was worth getting a tool to drive out the pins. I found something on Amazon which did the the trick without much trouble. My watch has the silver dial and comes with black numerals on silver in the LCD display. I think these are easier to read than the silver on black. It was this or https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09SY8RCTL/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I received my milgauss back from service after 12 weeks, so a couple of months shy of the estimated lead time. It’s like a brand new watch. Very impressed.

advertisement

Back