advertisement

The watch thread: pocket, wrist, sporty, showy? You name it!

This level of performance is acceptable to you guys? It would not be for me. Many 40+ year old Seikos would perform better than that (after proper service and calibration of course).

It’s fine for a Seiko but It’s unacceptable for a Rolex. I also have a couple of watches with ETA movements that are more accurate than the Seiko.

To paraphrase Alan, I’m not concerned if I’m a minute early for my meeting. It’s not life and death for me. If I want absolute accuracy I can use my phone…

I passed a number of the 'high end' watch shops in Central London today and was laughing at some of the offerings - so much ludicrously priced bling jewellery (Hublot etc) with such complex dials you could barely see which way the hands were pointing ...

Saw just one nice looking watch, a hand wind Vacheron Constantin with a completely plain grey dial, a bit like my Seamaster, but the VC was £17600. At least it was so discreet someone would be unlikely to have it off your wrist ...

I passed a number of the 'high end' watch shops in Central London today and was laughing at some of the offerings - so much ludicrously priced bling jewellery (Hublot etc) with such complex dials you could barely see which way the hands were pointing ...

Saw just one nice looking watch, a hand wind Vacheron Constantin with a completely plain grey dial, a bit like my Seamaster, but the VC was £17600. At least it was so discreet someone would be unlikely to have it off your wrist ...

If you are after a VC, I know someone selling a lovely triple calendrier for a lot less than that…

So..just like most of the Breitling range really ? :)

ISTR a "hippie watch" from the 1960s which had just an hour hand and markings that read "One-ish", "Two-ish", "Three-ish", etc. Or is my memory of that era playing tricks?

I can't answer that directly, but there are several watches available*, with 12, or all 24hrs numbered on the dial and nothing but a single hour hand sweeping... I really do rather fancy such a thing; ideal for when it is my own time to spend, as a reminder - it is all my own time, to spend.

As calvin might say - 'ptoui to temporal tyranny'

* Klaus Botta:
https://www.botta-design.de/en/pages/einzeigeruhr

that's pretty. Very similar to Tudor. How does it differ, other than being in Italian?

Its has a 42mm case size so 1mm larger and still has a Swiss movement all be it a SW200-1
and its a lot cheaper at only 880 euros but feels so much more expensive than that
I've done a quick unboxing video for my channel but the full review is yet to come

Its has a 42mm case size so 1mm larger and still has a Swiss movement all be it a SW200-1
and its a lot cheaper at only 880 euros but feels so much more expensive than that
I've done a quick unboxing video for my channel but the full review is yet to come

Really nice looking watch. A bit big, I'm not a powerfully built company director type so look a bit silly in 40mm+ designs. However that's the norm these days. I'll stick with my Alpinist.

^ Nobody is :)

SajWLZim.png

42km is a bit wide for my wrist, too - never mind 45km!
I have a small wrist but have been wearing 42mm Seiko diver watches daily for the last 10 years. My original SKX173 came with a heavy rubber band which I promptly had removed and replaced with a very comfortable and smart looking Maratec NATO band.

My new replacement SRPD55 came with a bracelet band which I also had removed. I like the newer Seiko better. The bezel is less busy with minutes only showing for the first 20 seconds. The stem also allows for self winding for those days I’m less active. It also freezes the second hand when setting the time so it can be synced with the exact time.

It also has a see through glass back so you can see the working innards. The face is a bit more modern looking with the 5 logo, script automatic and removal of the red diver script from the SKX which added to its busyness.

The movement has also been updated and is more accurate than my old SKX.

dXT8iCS.jpg

I have a small wrist but have been wearing 42mm Seiko diver watches daily for the last 10 years. My original SKX173 came with a heavy rubber band which I promptly had removed and replaced with a very comfortable and smart looking Maratec NATO band.

My new replacement SRPD55 came with a bracelet band which I also had removed. I like the newer Seiko better. The bezel is less busy with minutes only showing for the first 20 seconds. The stem also allows for self winding for those days I’m less active. It also freezes the second hand when setting the time so it can be synced with the exact time.

It also has a see through glass back so you can see the working innards. The face is a bit more modern looking with the 5 logo, script automatic and removal of the red diver script from the SKX which added to its busyness.

The movement has also been updated and is more accurate than my old SKX.

dXT8iCS.jpg
I have no issue with the size. I'm wearing a Poor(est) Mans Marinemaster as I write (SKX171 with SKX007 bezel). I like the subdued, elegant dial, & the shapes of the applied indices. Black day/date; white printing; black & silver seconds hand. I like it more than the real Marinemaster that inspired it. It's gained a minute over the last week.

I have the 171's bezel on the 007. It works better there, I feel.

I love Nato straps. So light & comfortable. My PMMM is on a black & grey striped one (a Zulu actually, with heavier duty hardware).

advertisement

Back