advertisement

The runners' thread... (part II)

Slowly building up the distance again. Alternating between 10 and 11 minute miles when training, which is a good improvement for me. Starting to feel the 30 minute Parkrun could be possible. Four and a half miles today in 42 minutes and a few seconds and seemingly no ill effects. Going to try the full 10k on Sunday.

^ ^ Goodluck! Chatting to one of my neighbours who completed 27 marathons in 27 days and 43 marathons in 51 days. They suggested interval training was essential to building a base for any running. Attitude was also extremely important. -Yes you can do it & will- "Explain to yourself / body that if you don't e.g. run a marathon every two days you'll die. You'll soon decide that the former is the way forward.

Always good to see we're out there on the road :)

Good luck on Sunday John, running a hundred metres can be difficult if not dodgy if there's something wrong, so considering you've got Loch Ness in two weeks' time, hopefully, you're head will keep your body in check - or is it the other way around. I don't know. But have good race either way :)

I don't think there are a lot of good sentences that contain "My cardiologist".

Apparently I have a "slow heart", not a problem in itself, but the electrical communication between the parts is not ideal - think prog rock band with the monitor mix all wrong!

Investigations are continuing, but there was mention of detraining, pacemakers etc. I am going to have a recording implant for a while, to see if they can catch bad behavior in the act. I think this will officially make me a cyborg.

In the meantime, I will enjoy and cherish running until I am told to stop.

Everybody enjoy and cherish your running too.

I started running on the treadmill about five years ago to try to get in shape and lose some weight. I was really heavy...like 240-250 lbs. at 5'9".

At first, it went poorly. I couldn't do more than a quarter mile without shin pain, because I was trying to run too fast too early, and I hadn't learned proper form. Also...fat. I was fat.

So I switched to elliptical training to build my cardio and lose some weight. Then I bought proper shoes and started C25K. I haven't looked back since.

It went shite. Suspected adductor tear at about 9K; hobbled/walked from that point. Sore. Fortunately not a big one, according to the physio lass at the end. I should have known running today was risky!

Aw man, that's a bummer. I hadn't heard of an adductor before but it sounds like a torn one is bad news indeed. Where does that leave you for Loch Ness - will a few days off be enough of a rest? Hopefully, do you don't need weeks off to recover!

Can we update the title of the thread to “The oldies’ running thread” or similar. I’m hoping to stay well for next weekends sprint tri but I’m worried that reading this thread might jinx it. I already missed a tri and a 5k this summer due to “tummy trouble”.

Update: I’ve decided to withdraw from Loch Ness. Although I can walk today, it’s a limp and it’s doubtful that a muscle tear would be repaired sufficiently to run a marathon in two weeks. Best I take some time out to recover, focus on the next significant race (end of October) and defer LN until 2019.

Gutted, but I have only myself to blame: after all, I did enter knowing I was carrying a strain, but thought I might be well enough to run anyway. I was wrong.

Gutting, but I think the right choice. I’ve learnt the hard way this summer that if you don’t put things right and carry on regardless you end up in a state. My very minor calf problem turned into a Grade 2 tear because I kept training and not letting it heal properly. I’m sure that when you’ve sorted it, had some rest and built back up gradually, you’ll go even better. Take care, take it easy, and you’ll get there.

Reactions: JTC
If deferring is an option, it sounds like that's the best choice so well done for giving your body a break because you're like L'oréal... you're worth it :)

Astonishingly enough, I placed 228th from 469 despite my injury. 2hr 1min, so I guess the injury and the resultant hobbly walk/run may only have added 10-15 minutes overall. Can you tell I’m trying to find something positive here?

PS. They refunded as I was within the cancellation period. So, I am going to rest and get some proper physio.

Hello again everyone. I have just realised:
a) I will after all be able to run the Oxford Half in 4 weeks having resolved various complicated 'diary conflicts'
b) I have not run a single step since 27 May - that is 3.5 months. Done a fair bit of cycling and hiking but I've not even so much as run for a bus since May.

So the aim is get myself in some sort of condition to run a half on 7 Oct without getting injured or cramp on the day. I'm not too bothered about the time - my son is running, last year he cruised around in 1hr 29 and I will not be keeping up with him!

So it starts today! A beautiful run this morning among the Aspen of Colorado Rockies, at altitude of 2760m / 9000 ft. 6.3 miles in just under 50 minutes along such a petty tarmac trail between mountains and river, gently up valley then a quicker downhill second half. Nearly cramping thighs at the end but all OK - stretch / swim / hot tub for recovery. Not a bad life and really really happy to be pulling on the trainers again.

The plan is to increase a weekly long run to 8, 10 maybe 12 miles and do whatever faster shorter runs I can manage between a fairly complicated month of travelling and moving house etc.

Also looking forward to catching up with this thread again. It's a good'un.

advertisement

Back