advertisement

The runners' thread... (part II)

Oh man, just think how much beer you'll need to drink in two weeks if you're selected for both - I'd pay good money to see that training schedule in action lol

Ego - sorry to hear about the overuse injury. It becomes a real problem as we get older and is the main reason I ended up doing triathlon because I can split my week between running, biking, swimming and weight training so that I only do each activity at most twice a week. Cycling is easy on the knees and if you have the space spin bikes are not too expensive, especially second hand.

Robs - good luck - you could make it a series. 7 marathons on 7 continents in 7 weeks.

Well my ridiculous HM schedule (using the term very loosely) is as on-track as I deserve. 8 miles today - slow and crampy but hopefully no more damage. Rest tomorrow, then trying out a rough looking 400m dirt track very near our new ‘home’. About 10 days in and 19 days to go...oh dear. I only have myself to blame. And my pesky son who will beat me anyway.

Ian, IMHO If you can get 8 miles in...you can do 13. Just don't overdo it in the 19 days left and injure yourself... plenty of rest, short runs, relaxation, stretching, beer...;)

Sean...I like your 7 in 7 thinking....just not applied to myself... :p

I actually looked at the Antarctica one but it is booked out until 2021...thankfully....so no can do..:(

I am about to sign up for my first half in November. A rather lovely point to point on the local Grand Union canal, Uxbridge to Watford.

My running has been a bit pants recently, seem to have slowed a little and I have been struggling with focus. Been getting out there but just getting miles in rather than getting faster. I think I do better training work in the gym on the treadmill rather than on the roads and lanes.

Also been cycling a bit which I am enjoying a lot but I don't think it is helping the running.

Did a 31 minute 5k yesterday, resting now before the 10k on Sunday. I’ve also decided that at the moment I can’t do consecutive days although today my legs feel fat better after a run than usual. Going to start thinking about what to do after the 10k. Really busy in October and November so will be just a few runs a week, I might start trying to do a sub 30 5k whilst I haven’t got as much time, then I’m undecided as to whether to stick at 10k for a while or go for a half... A full one is definitely out of the question right now, just don’t have the time.

Ian, IMHO If you can get 8 miles in...you can do 13. Just don't overdo it in the 19 days left and injure yourself... plenty of rest, short runs, relaxation, stretching, beer...;)

Sean...I like your 7 in 7 thinking....just not applied to myself... :p

I actually looked at the Antarctica one but it is booked out until 2021...thankfully....so no can do..:(
Antarctica, did I read that right! I just spit my lunchtime coffee all over my mobile!
Your kidding me right....I am rather gullible!
....so if true you would run in snow and ice with penguins and polar bears but not in the rain! :p:D

Did a 31 minute 5k yesterday, resting now before the 10k on Sunday. I’ve also decided that at the moment I can’t do consecutive days although today my legs feel fat better after a run than usual. Going to start thinking about what to do after the 10k. Really busy in October and November so will be just a few runs a week, I might start trying to do a sub 30 5k whilst I haven’t got as much time, then I’m undecided as to whether to stick at 10k for a while or go for a half... A full one is definitely out of the question right now, just don’t have the time.
How's the calf?...the leg type not the cow type before anyone chips in with any wittyness!

How's the calf?...the leg type not the cow type before anyone chips in with any wittyness!

I wouldn’t say I have full faith in it, but, it does seem to be holding up. I’m just making sure at the moment I don’t train too much, but when I do I give it a decent workout. Lots of stretching, always brisk walking for 10 minutes first. Seems to be working.

Sounds as though your getting on top of it lordsummit. Sometimes, as you rightly say, it is all about body management which is something I have completed ignored recently to my peril! Doubt then confidence brings faith. Keep up the good work, kudos my dear sir, kudos....

Antarctica, did I read that right! I just spit my lunchtime coffee all over my mobile!
Your kidding me right....I am rather gullible!
....so if true you would run in snow and ice with penguins and polar bears but not in the rain! :p:D
Polar bears would be a long way from home in Antarctica.

More foot

Had a appt at the hospital . Bones in foot are now healed. Crush injury is , estimates vary, between 6/12 months away from healing although foot not as swollen as it has been. I think physio is going to have me start walk/run on the dread mill within a few weeks, and 5k for Xmas day plan looks achievable. Still in the gym most days

More foot

Had a appt at the hospital . Bones in foot are now healed. Crush injury is , estimates vary, between 6/12 months away from healing although foot not as swollen as it has been. I think physio is going to have me start walk/run on the dread mill within a few weeks, and 5k for Xmas day plan looks achievable. Still in the gym most days

That sounds promising! It will be a real milestone when you can get on the dread mill for the first time.

Hope your recovery continues smoothly.

Went into town for a coffee with wife and dog and ran home in the rain. Round about route - 9.6 miles, much of it off road, in an hour and a half. Most direct route is just over 5 miles.
Very gentle pace, wet conditions didn't inspire me to push on. Usual trade-off of hood up (slightly too hot, keep dry) vs hood down (slightly too cool, get wet into inner layers). Feet and shoes very soggy by the end. Still not explicitly told to stop running.

Always feels like a moral victory to not skip a run just because of rain.

"No such thing as bad weather, only unsuitable clothing" - Wainwright.

advertisement

Back