advertisement

The runners' thread... (part II)

Yeah, a friend of mine just completed a 214-mile run last weekend, he finished 4th in just under 70 hours!!! And another friend is doing a 10-marathons-in-10-days next year! Mad buggers all!

Got a five miler in yesterday on the road to recovery. A bit sore today, but the physio keeps saying that’s what challenging it means. Still heading for the 23rd. Was hoping to do that in a much improved time, but will just be hoping to get round in one piece now I think.

Half marathons are beckoning next year. Has anyone followed any training plans? The Manchester One is the 19th of May, and could start properly working for it in December. That seems like loads of time I’m not sure how to fill. The ones I’ve looked at often don’t seem to take much longer than 10k plans in terms of time needed. Most of my training sessions seem to be about an hour plus warm-up/warm down. Any more than that too often and I might get accused of taking the proverbial by her indoors.

Been avoiding this thread for a long time, and have only read the first and then last few pages - so apologies if the question has been answered earlier. but what are you guys using for Heart Rate Monitors these days ?
My trusty old Timex/Ironman with Cheststrap monitor has finally given up the ghost after almost a decade's worth of use and abuse. The range of new technologies in terms of wrist/sensors, blue-tooth to phone app devices etc is a tad bewildering. Any recommendations for a placement that will last for another half decade or so, without becoming obsolete or breaking ?

Any tips on how to run slowly (sounds like a stupid question I know).

Keep your mouth closed - seriously. Breathing through your nostrils only will slow your pace to the point where your heart rate will stay firmly down into the recovery/fat-burn zone.

Anyone running anything/anywhere interesting this weekend? Parkrun today (St. Andrews) with the club, and a long run (~18 miles) tomorrow. Next weekend is a half marathon, which I'm in two minds about...

JTC, just read your post "signed up to run Loch Ness" - you looney toon you!!

Lordy - good stuff! Just keep building it up, slow and steady!

I'm on hols so getting in a few miles in glorious sunshine and too hot weather. Lots of beer for rehydration, and sitting on the beach thinking about it. No Parkruns here unfortunately, I checked...
Half marathon in two weeks so I need to cut back on the beer a little I guess.

Alan - many watches have HR built into the strap. I have a Garmin 235, but must admit it is flakey regarding HR. Seems to work fine sometimes, and not others. I think to do with how tight it is. If you are used to chest straps, then you can link a strap to it also, which is meant to be much more accurate, though I don't have one and haven't tried.

Foot update

I’m more mobile . Swimming has really helped with the joint stiffness and swelling beginning to go down . I have a medical appt to help lawyers size my claim next week.

On top of the statements and accounts I’ve already given the lawyers they’ve asked for more photos and a linked account. Easy I thought until I realised the location is mid way to being completely remodelled into a pedestrian Plaza for the two railway stations down there. It’s now changed enough to compromise or at least complicate my case . Fortunately street view has all the images I need and I was looking at them this morning. It was quite sobering as a small selection screenshots captures my route but also illustrates just how long the driver would have had to notice me. It’s quite chilling. To my eyes it lends credence to theory that it was deliberate.

Thing is , there is something local to me that happened in the weeks prior to the accident. It concerned a neighbour ( local white trash ) who parked his company delivery van in a disabled slot and used to reserve it with wheelsy bins when he was at work . This was causing bad feeling in the street. In the end I rang his employer and this stopped immediately.
One of my nieghbours is a police and we were both expecting some shouting and screaming from the van driver, as if there was a short list of likely callers I would been on it . But nothing happened.

So I ran past this guys house at the beginning of every run , and my route is predictable. He and driver who ran me over are of similar backgrounds , age , colour. They live within a couple of miles of each other...any thoughts ?

Anyone running anything/anywhere interesting this weekend? Parkrun today (St. Andrews) with the club, and a long run (~18 miles) tomorrow. Next weekend is a half marathon, which I'm in two minds about...

And we know what those two minds are: run it slow or run it fast! ;)

The plot thickens for John, sadly. I hope your lawyers can produce all the info needed for the right amount of compensation as it sounds like a bad story that's just getting worryingly worse in terms of what might have been an attempt to cause you serious harm - or worse!

Bit of a set back this week, the 5 miler caused a bit of soreness, and the subsequent run didn’t help, so been resting since Monday, bought a Tiger Tail roller as I just don’t get on with the drainpipe ones, and feeling much better. Did two days walk g round Manchester looking for bees and that’s helped, so out for a gentle jog later. See how it goes. Need to get some miles in before the 23rd and the Southport 10k. I’ll get there. Just a bit of patience needed I think!

And feel ok this morning. Take care John, glad there is some light at the end of it all. How are he police dealing with it? Are they still considering prosecution?

I can only echo what others are saying, hopefully John will find a satisfactory outcome in all of this unpleasantness.

This weekend did a Parkrun (23:09, during which I walked about three or four times and had to stop at one point to stretch my dodgy leg). Promising, despite all of that, as 22:30 should have been well within reach otherwise, which would be a step in the right direction (finally) on the way to my 2018 5K goal of getting down to 22m.

Earlier today did an 18.5 mile long slow run which was disastrous from the out. Started out with my Garmin not starting properly - maybe 500m not recorded - then, the dodgy leg feeling, well, dodgy and tight, and then the new trainers hurt for a few miles (fortunately this receded). And, from about 10 or 12 miles in, my old mucker the groin discomfort showed up to really piss on my parade. Held planned pace to about 20K (i.e. at 2hrs) but then struggled for the last 10K or so, some walkie bits resulting in me coming in at 3h06m for just under 30K. That in itself is no real disgrace - miles on feet and all - but how sore I felt afterwards, even now, just is wrong. Wrong wrong wrong. May rest up during the week as a half marathon next Sunday, and I don't want to miss it...

I squeezed in a 5-mile run before work this morning and having also been on my bike for 20 miles or so - including a sprint home from work, my legs are done: no more beans to give, nada in the tank... and it feels good, Baby :)

I must get out to run after work today.
....repeat 100 times.
My mojo has been wandering recently. How does one find one's mojo...

I must get out to run before work today. Maybe it can be found there!?;)

Parkrun tomorrow and a half marathon at Goodwood next Sunday 16th...so I'm tapering now ;)

As a morning-only runner, fate hasn't dealt me the best of hands this week. But I'll be back on the road tomorrow for a 5-miler :)

Been injured all week, no running at all. Half on Sunday. I'll definitely start, let's see how it goes. Certainly no plan to push for a PB or anything, although if I feel well that's definitely not off the table. Got to keep in mind I have Loch Ness in just over two weeks, and I'd like to get closer to 4hrs on it than last year (when I got cramp)... not going to do that if I'm injured though :/

....that feels a bit better. A hug from the open road always does the trick...I did trip over my mojo on the big hill on the way back home and I remembered that's where I left it....my mojo and I are best buddies again.

advertisement

Back