advertisement

The runners' thread... (part II)

JTC - bad luck about having to pull out, but good on the refund. I'm out nearly 150 quid on missed events this year which adds some salt to the wound. However I'm sure, like me, once you'd choked down the decision to withdraw from the race you will have felt relief at the prospect of not risking further bodily damage. Hope you get well soon - there's plenty more races out there.

Good call John - rest up, recover and recuperate for a few weeks. Eat well, stretch, may be do some weights/cycling/swimming/anything other than running and get it sorted.

Dammit...sore throat and feeling like a cold coming on just in time for Sunday's half...
Seems Chris Evans and Vassos are there at Goodwood too...anyone else from here?

Funnily enough, I haven't suffered an injury directly related to running since dropping my mileage after the marathon: I had to take a week off after getting a blister breaking in new shoes and another week off after taking a tumble on my bike and whacking my head. But apart from these two setbacks, the only thing that's held my running progress back has been me. Oh, and the hot summer as well - it was simply way too hot to run anything more than a few miles for a while there. Needless to say, famous last words...

Foot update.

Latest medic reckons another 12 months to recover.that appears to be the stock cited medic duration between don’t know and never. Unknown in other words . Physio pushing me hard on recovery exercise . That’s ok , I don’t need to be told to do the gym . Latest is hopping . Running is essentially hopping, alternately on each foot.

Legals are continuing . I’m still in the gym most days. Actually I’m fitter than I was. I’ve replaced a few gentle jogs with something more intense. But I miss the runn8ng, and the hops made my foot really swell up ..

Foot update.

Latest medic reckons another 12 months to recover.that appears to be the stock cited medic duration between don’t know and never. Unknown in other words . Physio pushing me hard on recovery exercise . That’s ok , I don’t need to be told to do the gym . Latest is hopping . Running is essentially hopping, alternately on each foot.

Legals are continuing . I’m still in the gym most days. Actually I’m fitter than I was. I’ve replaced a few gentle jogs with something more intense. But I miss the runn8ng, and the hops made my foot really swell up ..

Keep fit, eat healthy, keep focused, work on the physio and you may recover quicker. Are you able to ride a bike? Good luck with the legal process.You'll be back running before you know it.

New marathon world record: 2:01:39 by Eliud Kipchoge today in Berlin. Simply incredible, super-human performance!

Wow robs, so many personal records on Strava that I needed to scroll down the screen! Triple kudos and a handshake. Jolly well done!

Reactions: JTC
Superb by Kipchoge...just unbelievable pace!
If my maths is right that's approx 14:30 5K pace x 8 5K's!! Surreal!

My half pace this morning was (surprise!) somewhat slower...(thanks Adam!)
Finished in 1:39:02 which was OK, but was hoping for a PB and just outside. Have been feeling a bit under the weather last week or so (post holiday blues probably!) and felt pretty crap most of the way. Legs were fine but I couldn't steady my breathing and HR was up in the 190-200's which was much higher than normal when pushing a little, sweating buckets too..
Started fast, steadily slowed...until the last couple of miles.

Laps were a bit dull to be honest, and a bit of headwind down the start straight didn't help x 5...
But well organised and a good turnout, and most important, it stayed dry and sunny in parts!
Absolutely knackered when I got back, more so than the marathon earlier in the year. A beer and fell asleep in the sun in the garden this afternoon..

Came 25th and 2nd in my age group, so happy overall.

Lapped Chris Evans and shouted an encouraging "Go on Chris, not far to go now"....then later realized that I had actually lapped him for the second time and he did have quite a way still to go.. ;-)

Last edited:
Reigate half marathon today! Well we shared the road for a few hundred meters during an 85 mile bike ride. The suffering on the faces of some of the 2 hour 15 minute pace group said it all. We gave them a bit of vocal encouragement. Great thing about running is just about anyone can do it and these events attract all sorts!
[we had the blessing of the stewards to ride on the opposite side of the road to the runners. ]

Superb by Kipchoge...just unbelievable pace!
If my maths is right that's approx 14:30 5K pace x 8 5K's!! Surreal!

My half pace this morning was (surprise!) somewhat slower...(thanks Adam!)
Finished in 1:39:02 which was OK, but was hoping for a PB and just outside. Have been feeling a bit under the weather last week or so (post holiday blues probably!) and felt pretty crap most of the way. Legs were fine but I couldn't steady my breathing and HR was up in the 190-200's which was much higher than normal when pushing a little, sweating buckets too..
Started fast, steadily slowed...until the last couple of miles.

Laps were a bit dull to be honest, and a bit of headwind down the start straight didn't help x 5...
But well organised and a good turnout, and most important, it stayed dry and sunny in parts!
Absolutely knackered when I got back, more so than the marathon earlier in the year. A beer and fell asleep in the sun in the garden this afternoon..

Came 25th and 2nd in my age group, so happy overall.

Lapped Chris Evans and shouted an encouraging "Go on Chris, not far to go now"....then later realized that I had actually lapped him for the second time and he did have quite a way still to go.. ;-)
Amazing run by kipchoge - I read today this was way quicker per 5km than the best 5km Parkrun nationwide last weekend - which itself was a very impressive 14:52. Incredible. Also he managed a negative split. Some of you will remember the PFM negative split challenge a few months ago - if only you'd all taken advice, just see what you could have achieved.

Nice half robs. I'd be amazed if I get near that at Oxford in 3 weeks. My third run today - a bit crampy but managed 4 miles steady. Time is running out but I still want to run it and get round without losing too much dignity - my priority recently has been cycling and having fun. oops.

Ian

Robs - nice half time ! The Kipchoge time is just incredible. Sub 15 minute 5ks for the distance of a marathon. :eek:

I had a great sprint tri. on Sunday - PB by nearly 2 1/2 minutes and finished 23rd out of 268 - 7 places higher than last year. The only regret is that I think I killed a squirrel on the bike leg. I was on the tri bars on a gentle downhill going I'd guess (no tech on my bike) around 25mph when a squirrel shot in front of me and hit my front wheel. I was lucky not to come off - the squirrel I would guess was not so lucky, but I couldn't stop or look back as there were cyclists all around me.

Back to 5k training now and aim for a sub 19 minute 5k on thanksgiving morning.

Well done on the tri Sean! Great result!
Whilst I have some sympathy for the squirrel, rather him than you. I have a mate in Boston who got knocked off up at Martha's vineyard at the weekend - Saturday night in ER...

I just had a funny turn and entered the Boston Marathon yesterday. Don't know if I'll get a place...I'll be right around the qualifying time cut off I think..

Sidelined :(
Bloody knee is playing up...I made the fatal mistake of running 3 times in 4 days...I have come to the conclusion that it will never fully recover and I need to be considerate and respect my knees complications...plus my age too! I am no spring chicken anymore!
I will see how it feels on Friday....

That's not good news.
But your conclusion is probably correct!! I tried a short daily run for a few days recently and my legs told me no, don't be stupid. Every other day they seem to be OK with, but rest is important.

In vaguely uninteresting other news I have two black middle toes after the half. Strange, because same shoes and socks as in 'training' (and the marathon in April) which caused no ill effects.

And worse, just realized I have entered both Boston and London...and they are only two weeks apart. Am hoping I am lucky enough to get into only one.

Or neither.

advertisement

Back