advertisement

The runners' thread... (part II)

I take my hat off to you John - no matter what injuries come your way you always bounce back and carry on running as if it was nothing but a bagatelle. Bravo, John, bravo :)

Reactions: JTC
Well done JTC!!

Sprint finish indeed...I can just imagine you sniffing the whisky in the air from a km away.... ;-)

And well done Lordy!

Thanks folks. Just resting up today, hoping to take November as an easy/non-running month to recover from my various injuries!

Never heard of trail marathons before - I suppose it's a kind of ultra. Must be very easy to twist an ankle in the closing stages. Great job for finishing in one piece.

Hey guys, here's a wee video of what it was all about. Don't think I am in it, though I was definitely there. Enjoyed it immensely, but kinda wish in some ways I'd done my own thing rather than accompanying someone else, as I definitely had a reasonable amount left in the tank at the end so clearly ran too slowly:

Definitely recommend it to anyone who fancies a moderately challenging run with a difference, in a beautiful part of the world, and with the added incentive of lots of whisky at the end :)

That it is just the best news! Fantastic.
Has cheered me up immensely (after a crappy week..), so can't imagine how you must be feeling!! Just great!
You know the drill - take it easy and slowly, and don't overdo it!

Fabulous news John, good luck for continuing progress.

I have been building up to my first ever half marathon on the 11th. It won't be pretty or fast but I am fairly confident I should be able to run all the way. One more week of longer runs to go!

Thanks all

Foot was complaining a little last night but seems to be ok this morning. Will go for a little gym this pm. And repeat the running trick tomorrow . That at least is the plan

Yay, thanks to JTC actually not running a marathon last week for the first time in 2018 ;-) I was top of the tree in the pfm Strava running table.... go me!

Yay, thanks to JTC actually not running a marathon last week for the first time in 2018 ;-) I was top of the tree in the pfm Strava running table.... go me!

...while I was bottom with zero miles lol

Seriously though, well done, Gareth - even on a slow week for John you must have clocked up quite a few miles to top the mileage chart, well done :D

Getting a few creaks going on with the increased mileage. Not injuries as such so all good for now.

You can all make me look bad in November when I am taking a total break from running (though will be walking and cycling a bit, plus maybe push some weights)...

A serious question guys. I’ve sacked my gym membership and the dreadmill, for the pursuit of Road plodding glory. Caused by a run in with a Neanderthal meathead who threatened to punch my f******ng lights out because my feet were too noisy. A bit of paranoia set in so aim trudging the roads. Been fine but these last few days I’ve beeen feeling the chill a bit. I know, need to run faster, but obviously need some more wintery gear.
I thought a pair of tights, some shorts that aren’t 2 in 1 like most of mine. I’m currently wearing a running t-shirt and long-sleeved too. Think I need something like this to block out the wind and a shower or two, not a fan of heavy rain:
https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/asi4946/asics-windblock-hooded-running-top/
Any suggestions for winter running?

Man that's a bummer about the bloke at the gym (reminds me of something that happened to a mate recently, see below), but canceling your membership will be good for the pennies, so some of which you can use to buy some winter running gear, so it's not all bad. I got through last winter with only a windbreaker as proper winter clothing: I wore my usual shorts throughout. I might have run with a hat, I can't remember. But the sleeves on the windbreaker were long enough to cover my fingers as well so I didn't even buy gloves. Like you, I'm not a fan of running in heavy rain so I didn't bother investing in a rain-proof jacket. I bought one a few weeks ago so I can keep on cycling but I don't plan on using it for running.

The story about my mate: he picked his 6-year-old kid up from a sports centre where there was some class on during summer and as he was walking back to his car, some dude beeped his horn and braked hard behind them as they were walking along the car park as the driver couldn't get past. It was aggressive driving and my mate shook his head in disappointment once the car carried on. The driver saw this in his mirror and promptly stopped his car and out comes a massive adrenalin-fulled bodybuilder who's ripped all over and clearly just finished a session. My mate reckons he must have been on steroids or something as his eyes were bulging out of his head and he was, pardon my french, scary as ****! The guy berated my mate who somehow retorted, 'Just get back in the car, you're embarrassing yourself'. My mate has no idea where such boldness came from as the guy could have torn him to pieces - presumably paternal instinct or something. Anyway, more abuse followed but the guy eventually got back in his car and drove off. His kid was in tears and my mate was shaking like a leaf. He reported it to the police but nothing doing as it wasn't corroborated by CCTV or whatever. Some people are scary and some scary people who are filled with adrenalin are scary and bloody dangerous!

Yeah, a bit the same, except I made a fuss and got through to the area manager, he got kicked out and I think the PT who heard it all and did nothing got in trouble. I got nothing but dirty looks every time I walked from the PTs so I soon tired of it. Loving the open air, just not keen on cold knees!

advertisement

Back