advertisement

The runners' thread... (part II)

Yes good luck from me too.

I’ve been flirting with the treadmill and would really like to push on , but bossy physio has given me a strict walk/run plan so I don’t overload the foot, that I’m a adopting sort of. So I have done a few 30 min stints on a gradient and they felt great so at least I shouldn’t have to huff and puff through c25k. Physio thinks a 5k outside around Xmas is a realistic target for the foot. I’m in the ballot for the vlm and in the unlikely event she who must be obeyed would probably prefer me to defer until 20. We will see about that.

Well that was fun. Oxford Half this morning. My Garmin tells me 1:37:39 and 13.2 miles. Conditions were about perfect - cool, calm with some hazy sun. The course is a belter - I know all the route as I live here but my first time doing the Half. It’s flat, with enough twists and turns to make it interesting without adding to the congestion. Pretty slick organisation too.

My run went better than i’d hoped, with only 50 miles of running since my come-back run exactly 4 weeks ago. Steady start around 7:30 pace - negative split by about a minute I think. I never challenged robs 1:35 but was really pleased. My thigh did not twinge at all thank goodness though the though of cramp did keep me nice and steady for the first half.

Now sitting in the sun with a large red wine wondering what I could do if I actually trained properly for a race like I used to. I’d definitely recommend Oxford to anyone looking for a fast HM course.

Ian

Envious of everybody getting out to race, and having great sounding experiences. Well done!

Bailed on running this morning. I had arranged to go out with somebody from a few houses down the road.

I had a minor op on Thursday (just local) to insert a recording cardiac monitor, and the surgical site is still sore. It is OK for sitting and using the computer, but sore when moving my left arm about. A quick test jog first thing was negative, so I have had to re-arrange for next week. My dressing comes off Wednesday, so I expect I should be OK by then.

I will try and see which machines at the gym are not too hurty.

I’ve got a race pack for next weekend’s sold out Manchester half-marathon which I sadly can’t use due to injury. If anyone fancies it drop me a pm.

Bad luck guys - or good luck if the weather ends up being the same as it was this year!

I think Gareth entered the ballot as well so fingers crossed for him. Do you think you'll give Stirling a go instead John?

Sounds like a plan, see you there!

According to the e-mail, over 414,000 applicants for London.....this insane running thing is growing and growing. Gotta be a good thing for the British waistline.

Sounds like a plan, see you there!

According to the e-mail, over 414,000 applicants for London.....this insane running thing is growing and growing. Gotta be a good thing for the British waistline.

And yet, Boris Johnson defies the odds no matter how much he runs through harvested wheat fields!

"Commiserations, your application to run in the 2019 Virgin Money London Marathonhas been unsuccessful. A record number of 414,168 hopefuls applied to take part in next year’s event and unfortunately you were unsuccessful in the general ballot, which was drawn at random."

Well, what a surprise! I had a very good run of getting accepted back in the day but the odds these days are a bit silly.
Of the 3 London events they organise, The Marathon, Ride London and Swim Serpentine, its only the latter that you are more or less guaranteed of getting a place.

advertisement

Back