advertisement

The Photography Purchase Confessional Thread (GAS)

1-C020-A62-7323-4-D00-A0-F6-8-AB8-DF8-D43-CF.jpg

Apologies to Gromit, my head says sell the Df but my heart won’t permit this. My FE (bought new many decades ago) awaits my fitting new light seals.

The Z fc is my newest acquisition, it’s my lightweight travel camera and one I needed when I had a severe back problem which meant the Z7ii was too heavy to carry…seems crazy but an extra 300g to 500g were too much for me. Fortunately I’m much recovered now.

Now that is a lovely collection of kit - your FE looks to be in sweet condition too.

I've been out & about a couple of times this past week, mainly with the D200, and whilst it's an old lump these days it's just so darn nice to use. Going back to my first ever Nikon (an FE funnily enough) back in 1982, I'm more and more convinced I'm a Nikon die-hard. :D

Carrying on the quest for cheap kit, I've just ordered this from MPB, Seems to get very good reports...

Tokina 12-24 by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

Now that is a lovely collection of kit - your FE looks to be in sweet condition too.

I've been out & about a couple of times this past week, mainly with the D200, and whilst it's an old lump these days it's just so darn nice to use. Going back to my first ever Nikon (an FE funnily enough) back in 1982, I'm more and more convinced I'm a Nikon die-hard. :D

Carrying on the quest for cheap kit, I've just ordered this from MPB, Seems to get very good reports...

I’m a Nikon die-hard too, individual cameras may not always be the very best at everything but they are still great. Copping and changing systems is very expensive so sticking to a bran£ seems goo to me. The FE was my first camera too. I have the new light seals and mirror foam ready, I need to sit down and apply them, then tun a film through it.

Your new-to-you lens…I have a relative of that lens, I bought it when I had a D7000. It’s still good, it’s even just ok on FX at 16mm. Here it is on my Z fc. It doesn’t AF on a Z but with focus peaking and deep DoF that’s not an issue.

New photo is 2 posts down from this one.

Last edited:
I’m a Nikon die-hard too, individual cameras may not always be the very best at everything but they are still great. Copping and changing systems is very expensive so sticking to a bran£ seems goo to me. The FE was my first camera too. I have the new light seals and mirror foam ready, I need to sit down and apply them, then tun a film through it.

Your new-to-you lens…I have a relative of that lens, I bought it when I had a D7000. It’s still good, it’s even just ok on FX at 16mm. Here it is on my Z fc. It doesn’t AF on a Z but with focus peaking and deep DoF that’s not an issue.

Nice one. :)

I did consider the 11-16 - especially with its extra stop of light-gathering - but thought the 12-24 would just about serve as a walk-about lens owing to its 36mm FoV. Will be interesting to try on my D700 as it would appear Tokina do build their lenses with a generous image circle.

Should be here tomorrow.

My guess is that it’ll be good on the D700.

I’m embarrassed by my poor pic above, my phone was too close. Maybe this is better…hmm, not that much in it.

I've got one of those too, had it for years, though I rarely use it now as I needed to kick a UWA habit into touch. Dare I say that the edge to edge IQ is better than my two Nikon 17-55 f2.8 DX lenses. It's more solid too - I've had to send both of the latter in to be very expensively recalibrated after very minor knocks, one of them twice, and waiting for a third!

I dropped $80 for a new EN-EL14A battery for my Df. The original battery still holds a charge, but it’s nine years old and I didn’t want to chance not being able to get a replacement battery in a few years.

16 MP at the end of 2022 doesn’t sound like a lot of pixels, but the Df is still a nice, useable camera.

17629205154_953ba18682_b.jpg

Joe

I bought two things this week: a JJC Arca-Swiss compatible bottom plate cum grip extension (Matron!) which makes handling the Q2 a bit more sure with gloves on, and a K&FConcept 49mm ND1000 filter so I can play at being a landscape photographer when I can be arsed taking my (very heavy) Manfrotto out for a walk...

I continue to resist the urge to buy a 100-400 lens for the Fuji.

I’m off to Cluj at the end of January and will have a day for sightseeing and snaps. Wonder if something like the above might be worthwhile…..

I’m off to Cluj at the end of January and will have a day for sightseeing and snaps. Wonder if something like the above might be worthwhile…..
£149, 1.37kg. Seems stable but yet to try it out.

There is always a compromise with travel tripods, when they are fully extended, they can get a bit wobbly especially in windy conditions, as the final part of the legs are a bit thin (for stability) - that said when not fully extended they can be very stable. A short folded length helps with portability. I have a 3LT tripod similar to the OP's but these days it doesn't get much use, I prefer to take my Benro BAT03C, which is very stable but doesn't go very high (at all!), but is very compact and lightweight.

Still yearning for that 100-400. But would I use it? I'm not sure I can be trusted with such a lens, and I work way too slowly to do anything like wildlife photography so it'd be isolated detail type stuff. I seem to suit the 'creepy bloke padding around like HCB taking stealthy shots on a daft looking old camera' mode much better than the hardy outdoorsy types who have big glass.... :)

There is always a compromise with travel tripods, when they are fully extended, they can get a bit wobbly especially in windy conditions, as the final part of the legs are a bit thin (for stability) - that said when not fully extended they can be very stable. A short folded length helps with portability. I have a 3LT tripod similar to the OP's but these days it doesn't get much use, I prefer to take my Benro BAT03C, which is very stable but doesn't go very high (at all!), but is very compact and lightweight.
Agreed, travel tripods are a compromise but in end I need something light or I won’t take it. The trick does indeed seem to be not to adventurous with using too much extension. Maybe I’ll bump into you on my walks around Cheshire…

I'm joining the Dark Side - don't worry, I'll keep it well separated from my Nikon kit. :D

5D by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

Acquired from a friend who used to work as Head of Graphics at an RAF base near us some years ago and well-versed on all things regarding Canon professional gear. This 5D's done a few miles, being used as a back-up body for his 1D 'work kit' but it's a 2nd gen 5D with the stronger mirror and improved screen - the earlier 5D's could be prone to mirror failure apparently (he's had a couple let go). Will be nice to see what all the fuss is about regarding the IQ of this old camera.

Don’t worry about it I have a EOS-1D mark lll.
The Nikons out number it so it’s well behaved.

Pete

5D MK3 here with about 50K shutter count to keep my 1DX company ,
It also came with an unopened Adobe Photoshop - Lightroom 5, 2 CD pair :)

Nikon is the dark side. Been there more than once but I had therapy:):)

Couldn't cope, everything is backwards :D

I'm joining the Dark Side - don't worry, I'll keep it well separated from my Nikon kit. :D

5D by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

Acquired from a friend who used to work as Head of Graphics at an RAF base near us some years ago and well-versed on all things regarding Canon professional gear. This 5D's done a few miles, being used as a back-up body for his 1D 'work kit' but it's a 2nd gen 5D with the stronger mirror and improved screen - the earlier 5D's could be prone to mirror failure apparently (he's had a couple let go). Will be nice to see what all the fuss is about regarding the IQ of this old camera.

The 5D is capable of some lovely output, I had one for a few months last year and enjoyed the experience.

advertisement

Back