advertisement

The Photography Purchase Confessional Thread (GAS)

Couldn't cope, everything is backwards :D

Funny, that was my problem when I had Nikon but I am left handed too:D

The 5D is capable of some lovely output, I had one for a few months last year and enjoyed the experience.

Only had a mark IV but that was superb

Gitzo traveller tripod with Markins ball head for an unmentionable price yesterday. Now need to sell the others I have.

Set up the R3 for wildlife this evening as I was unexpectedly in for the evening. First camera I have had with 3 different back button AF buttons including eye tracking.

All used from MPB
Nikon D850 'excellent' 12.000 shutter count.
Nikkor 24-120 f4 VR G-ED 'excellent' (good enough for 90% of what I do)
Nikkor 35 f1.8 G-ED 'as new'. Sharp as sharp for special stuff...may invest in a 20 and 105 at some point).
The lot for £2200 off new prices.
Happy me.
Now cleaning off the rucsack and dusting the gitzo :)
No pics yet....expected end of week.

After almost buying a Manfrotto 055MF3 (which would have been nice but was just going to be a touch too low for my purposes) I instead went for a Leofoto Ranger LS-324C with LH-40 ball-head. It just arrived (set it up, took some shots of the wallpaper, nothing more). Very, very pleased. Under 1/2 the weight of my old tripod, more stable and looks damned sexy (for a tripod). The ball-head is especially sweet - way nicer than it ought to be at the price. And it comes with a nice wee carry case, reminds me of a snooker queue case funnily enough.

Now need to find an excuse to get out and use it :)

QQ: 100-400 XF zoom or 90/2 XF prime next?

The 90mm is a fantastic piece of glass, and loves to be shot wide open, but obviously its a single focal length and I found that often it was too short or too long.

No direct experience of 100-400 but friends like it.

Deciding what you want to shoot will probably make the decision

The 90mm is a fantastic piece of glass, and loves to be shot wide open, but obviously its a single focal length and I found that often it was too short or too long.

No direct experience of 100-400 but friends like it.

Deciding what you want to shoot will probably make the decision
I find myself wishing for more reach quite often. 55-200 is good but since I’m on the coast I often shoot snaps out to the other side or the islands and sometimes then have to crop 200mm shots a bit. 90/2 would be more for the speed/bokeh than reach as such, since the wide end of the 100-400 covers that. Guess that’s decision made!

Thought I'd look at used X100T prices as quite fancy another after mistakenkly having let mine go a few years back. What on Earth has happened to used X100 series prices? They have become the Nait 2 of the photography world!

Lefty

Thought I'd look at used X100T prices as quite fancy another after mistakenkly having let mine go a few years back. What on Earth has happened to used X100 series prices? They have become the Nait 2 of the photography world!

Lefty

A TikTok sensation, and the lack of availabilty of the X100V causing used prices to be (very) firm

They look to be decent cameras. I nearly bought one instead of the Q2. I’m sure it would have been a solid choice.

A TikTok sensation, and the lack of availabilty of the X100V causing used prices to be (very) firm

Ah I see.... :(

They look to be decent cameras. I nearly bought one instead of the Q2. I’m sure it would have been a solid choice.

I've not tried the Q2 (but would love to) but the X100 series of cameras are superb. I loved my X100T - it was such a joy to use. My son even liked it. In fact, here's a photo of him taking a photo of me with it :D (although I think I don't think the X100T was on sadly)

Like Father, Like Son by Amar Sood, on Flickr

Nikon F80 / 50mm f1.8 D / Kodak Tri-X 400

Lefty

Lefty

I have 100T doing nothing and conversion lenses. Pm if interested

I am now virtually Fuji-less (apart from the lovely old X-Pro1 & XF35-1.4). Have done a kit-swap with the friend who let me borrow his Canon gear - he's had my X-Pro3 (a camera I liked at first but grew to dislike more and more), XF23 & 56-1.2. In their place I've had the 6D, 24-70 f4L, EF 85-1.8 and this big old lump that is the 70-200 f2.8L II.

Seventy to two hundred by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

With the 70-200 on the 6D just now...

Harley head by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

Mmmmm... I went EOS 5Dmk2 -> Fuji myself :). Both very great systems. I daresay I'll stick with the X-series and my Q2, or (maybe) the SL2 if I'm daft/flush enough at some point :)

advertisement

Back