advertisement

The Photography Purchase Confessional Thread (GAS)

‘Stole’ a Canon 100-400 mk II today. Also acquired 16-35 f2.8 and EF 2 x III tele converter a few days ago.
Haven’t finished…..

I've got two, sort of. One that (now) works, and a "parts car".

The F3 was my first nice camera, bought used in 1992. I stupidly traded that for a used boat anchor (F4) around 2002. Then bought another used F3 in 2006 for a trip to the himalayas, where it performed flawlessly. Sadly that camera has developed a shutter fault, but I will keep it for spares. I have another mint one that is working great.

Nikon F cameras by Andrew D, on Flickr

I'm sure it/they could be repaired. I've just had 2 OM2s with shutter faults repaired, cleaned and serviced. One of them the shutter physically fell apart.

I'm sure it/they could be repaired. I've just had 2 OM2s with shutter faults repaired, cleaned and serviced. One of them the shutter physically fell apart.

I got a quote for £250 to repair it. Since I already had a really nice working one I decided not to get the repair done.
My Canon F1N also needs servicing. The F3 and F1N are both cameras that have a well deserved reputation for reliability, but even the most reliable cameras can have issues after nearly 40 years.

Ouch, point taken given that you can buy an excellent replacement for that kind of money. I recently drew the line at getting my first camera, a Pentax ES, repaired, and bought a replacement for £45. I added an identical lens to the one I used to own, a Tamron Adaptall zoom, for another tenner. Why? Because I want to rephotograph a handful of locations in London from 45 years ago with the same kit. Stoopid, but could have been worse.

Sadly, the Df is no longer here - such a lovely camera, definitely well up there on the 'shouldn't have sold it' list.

Generations by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

When I think of all the places the F3 got taken to, I'm blown away by how robust this old thing is.

Another Peak Design Slide strap, plus just ordered a 100-200 5.6 for the Fuji.
Also just parted company with my Nikon 300 f2.8 ads vr today. Haven’t used it for a couple of years, most expensive ornament in the house.

Another Peak Design Slide strap

Having used mine on my recent trip to Edinburgh I think I'm a convert to the Slide strap. So easy to change the set up from round the neck to cross body. The Slide part of the name is so appropriate as the strap easily moves across your body when you need it to.

I don't think I'll ever use it as a shoulder strap as I think it would give back ache leaning to keep the camera in place.

Indeed - je suis un plonquer. :(

I never did quite get it. You were waxing lyrical about it, posting some beautiful photos, then suddenly it was gone. I recall you mentioning something about it missing focus a couple of times when I asked.

advertisement

Back