advertisement

The Photography Purchase Confessional Thread (GAS)

Mmmmm... I went EOS 5Dmk2 -> Fuji myself :). Both very great systems. I daresay I'll stick with the X-series and my Q2, or (maybe) the SL2 if I'm daft/flush enough at some point :)

It was borrowing (then buying) the 5D Mk1 which got me onto the Canon route again - yes I'm a kit-swapper, but along with doing the photography (within my limited skill-set) I just love trying out gear. The only camera that's got near to having the beautiful rendering of my old Nikon D700 has been the 5D. The Nikon's colours are cooler, and it wins on skin tone - just - but the Canon has a warmth, a creaminess which is so addictive. Of course it's not overly true-to-life but I'm thoroughly un-bothered about that. There's an honest, simple and very 'direct' way to use the 5D and I like that.

Now, a personal view of course, but for me the last Fuji sensor that I've truly liked was that in the X-Pro2/X-T2/X-H1. I don't really like the newer one, and the more film sims/tweakability Fujifilm add to their cameras, the more I dislike using them. With the X-Pro1, it's Provia with everything set 'flat' or Mono with green filter and hard shadow. That's it - and the pictures it puts out are just gorgeous.

I’ve never tried a Fuji film sim on my XT2 - RAW baby!!!

I've always shot RAW in all my cameras but have the jpeg alongside - the RAW file can be a handy back-up if needed, of course. Lightroom has come a very long way in its processing of Fuji RAF files, but I just wish they'd junk the X-Trans sensor array. I (and many others it would seem) see it as an answer to a virtually non-existent problem.

I just wish they'd junk the X-Trans sensor array. I (and many others it would seem) see it as an answer to a virtually non-existent problem.

I agree 100% with this. I like everything else about them. but the X-Trans is the one thing that puts me off Fuji cameras. The GFX cameras have bayer sensors and are all the better for it (IMHO). Also, the original X100 was a bayer sensor equipped camera and we all know how wonderful the images are from that.

Lefty

after going through a collector phase accumulating most of the film cameras I lusted after in the 90’s I have now added a game changer camera in terms of image quality. Mamiya RZ67 Pro ii. Can’t wait to see what it can do.

Now that's a proper camera!

after going through a collector phase accumulating most of the film cameras I lusted after in the 90’s I have now added a game changer camera in terms of image quality. Mamiya RZ67 Pro ii. Can’t wait to see what it can do.
Nice, used to use one daily back in the day - closest to it now is the rubber lens hood from an RZ 80mm lens that I use on my Nikkor 70-200 zoom

My favourite lens - by some margin - when using Micro Four Thirds was the humble Lumix 20-1.7 pancake. It had a charm and a certain look that was really addictive. A proper 'character' lens. Picked up what I suppose is the Canon version today so looking forward to getting some use out of it.

Pancake by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

West End by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

Its a nice lens (and surprisingly covers the whole GFX sensor!) but it does look a little lost on a heavyweight DSLR, both in size and heft!

My favourite lens - by some margin - when using Micro Four Thirds was the humble Lumix 20-1.7 pancake. It had a charm and a certain look that was really addictive. A proper 'character' lens. Picked up what I suppose is the Canon version today so looking forward to getting some use out of it.

Pancake by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

West End by Boxertrixter, on Flickr
It is a fantastic lens. I sometimes think of getting a cheapo Canon FF DSLR to go with mine, just for kicks: the standard classic compact camera lens/focal length of the 70s on a FF sensor.

Good choice. I've got a couple of bodies (one with crunchy gears so in need of a proper service), and the 37, 50, 110 and 180mm lenses. All are excellent. What lenses have you gone for?

Good choice. I've got a couple of bodies (one with crunchy gears so in need of a proper service), and the 37, 50, 110 and 180mm lenses. All are excellent. What lenses have you gone for?

To start with I have the 110mm f2.8. It was bought from Ffordes with Ex++ rating, which it certainly is cosmetically. Not sure about the mechanical condition since I have nothing to compare it to. I will probably run a film through to see how it feels. Can you recommend a good technician for servicing?

Does anyone else not have an issue with a “nose heavy camera”?

I just don’t understand the problem. My left hand supports the underside of my big lens so the whole assembly is balanced, and my right hand only provides the fingers for button presses etc. it’s like a rifle in that respect: no way would you hold any rifle only at the butt!

Does anyone else not have an issue with a “nose heavy camera”?

I just don’t understand the problem. My left hand supports the underside of my big lens so the whole assembly is balanced, and my right hand only provides the fingers for button presses etc. it’s like a rifle in that respect: no way would you hold any rifle only at the butt!
My feeling is that many of us grew up with gripless cameras (often film) so we hold cameras the way you describe. With the big grips we have today many support the lens rather less…and need IBIS / VR as a result!

My feeling is that many of us grew up with gripless cameras (often film) so we hold cameras the way you describe. With the big grips we have today many support the lens rather less…and need IBIS / VR as a result!
I’d never thought about it that way. My OM20, 40 and 1n were almost lighter than any lens!

advertisement

Back