advertisement

The pfm Lego Investment Challenge

This followed me home from the Liverpool Lego store today...

[link removed TL]

They had a few on the shelf, and the cashier said new stocks are starting to come in now.

The had the new Millennium Falcon in there too, it's massive, but brilliant. Shame it's £650 though.

Edit: sorry for the huge pic...

Is this to scale? :D

I’ve removed the link to save another page with a huge image that is awkward to deal with on many devices, but yes, it is huge! I built one of mine and it stands the same height as a JR149 on its Target R4 stand! It is a really nice item, a lovely thing for someone like me who grew up during the space-race and a real eye-opener from a build perspective. Back when I was a kid with a big box of random Lego SNOT was something that came out of ones nose, now it is a major construction technique. Very cleverly done and the completed model is far more robust than one would expect.

It is really impressive. I have it stood next to one of my speakers (Triangle Heliade ES , floorstander) and it's taller!

I won't post another pic as I'm not sure how to resize on my tablet, but it's a definite statement piece.

The build was really enjoyable, helped by the excellent instructions (Ikea and the like would do well to look at the way the instructions are done...). I like the way you can easily split it into the various launch stages.

I wasn't sure what to do with the astronaut figure that I had nominated as Michael Collins. He looked a bit forlorn stood at the bottom of the rocket whilst Neil and Buzz were on the moon, next to the Eagle, so I stood him on top of the escape module, topping the kit out.

Here are the investment challenge positions at the beginning of Q4 of 40. deanf is still way out in front although his reluctance to expand and diversify may be responsible for his stagnating profits on the eBay market. Congratulations to Still who is finally showing a profit at Brickpicker.

According to Brickpicker prices
1. deanf +330.5%
2. lsinclair +26.99%
3. farfromthesun +9.65%
4. Tony L +4.12%
5. Still +3.03%

According to eBay prices
1. deanf +93.41%
2. lsinclair +10.14%
3. Tony L +0.64%
4. farfromthesun -20.52%
5. Still -20.55%

I have highlighted retired sets on the spreadsheet. Unsurprisingly, it is clear to see that they are the ones that are increasing in value.

Spreadsheet here.

New participants welcome. Post your Lego portfolio (real or imaginary) in this thread together with purchase (or current) prices and an indication of your wish to join in and you will be in the next update (December.)

I am clearly not doing well! Will scrutinise the spreadsheet later and try and establish which are my turkeys! In fairness a heck of a lot of mine is still current or close to, so I’d not expect a return on that. Needs to be deleted for a few years to show a return surely?

Needs to be deleted for a few years to show a return surely?

You would think so, though bizarrely some folk are paying over RRP on eBay for sets that are readily available. I'm showing a small profit overall mainly because I paid less than the retail price for virtually all my Lego (offers, promotions, cashback etc.), but if you look at my part of the spreadsheet it really is starting to become apparent now that as sets are retired they move from red into green!

Women of NASA

21312_alt1

https://shop.lego.com/en-GB/Women-o...kwcid=AL!933!3!104879062110!!!g!381483412494!

Edit: Nearly forgot - please add one set to my Lego securities at £20.

I like the Women of NASA set, will add a couple to the portfolio when I see them at a good discount.

I only just saw this thread, it's excellent but to put you all in the shade I thought I'd tell you about my brother in law who invests in Lego instead of his pension. Basically he buys as much as possible of almost every new set that comes out at as many places as possible, he even gets his employees to do it when there is something he really wants to stockpile. As you know by now, all lego sets have a shelf life. Some of the Lego he sells when the shelf life has finished for double what he paid. Now this is the crazy thing, brickset or the other sites may not actually value those sets at double the price, but he steadfastly keeps them at that price anyway then monitors eBay for any others that come up, if they do he buys them immediately. In that way he controls the the international price of second hand Lego, the prices on Brikset etc all eventually change accordingly. He's got well over £1.5m (retail) of lego which Brikset reckons is worth £3.5mish

Some other stuff that is more sought after he keeps for a longer game.

Worth noting that although this seems like overtly capitalist, if he decided to liquidate his stock tomorrow, your own investments may well become worthless as used Lego only seems to appreciate so much because of his actions.

I can still never quite get my head round this.

Where the heck does he keep it? My comparatively minuscule £1.5k investment occupies about a third of my bedroom!

I only just saw this thread, it's excellent but to put you all in the shade I thought I'd tell you about my brother in law who invests in Lego instead of his pension. Basically he buys as much as possible of almost every new set that comes out at as many places as possible, he even gets his employees to do it when there is something he really wants to stockpile. As you know by now, all lego sets have a shelf life. Some of the Lego he sells when the shelf life has finished for double what he paid. Now this is the crazy thing, brickset or the other sites may not actually value those sets at double the price, but he steadfastly keeps them at that price anyway then monitors eBay for any others that come up, if they do he buys them immediately. In that way he controls the the international price of second hand Lego, the prices on Brikset etc all eventually change accordingly. He's got well over £1.5m (retail) of lego which Brikset reckons is worth £3.5mish

Some other stuff that is more sought after he keeps for a longer game.

Worth nothing that although this seems like overtly capitalist, if he decided to liquidate his stock tomorrow, your own investments may well become worthless as used Lego only seems to appreciate so much because of his actions.

I can still never quite get my head round this.

I have visions of Minions scuttling around and stockpiling Lego sets in an underground bunker.

He's got a large company with 3 huge warehouses, he has built a storage area within it and employs someone full time to look after it!

This is an interesting experiment!

I would love to partake, but I do not have enough money to.

My 13 year old son loves his Lego, particularly Ninjago. I will ask him which ones he thinks will become collectors' items.
Look at the prices of antiques. No not the uber expensive stuff but things that were close to crap when bought. People looked after expensive stuff so there is a lot about but the crap stuff - well who cared for it hence its rarity. You'll be surprised what collectors are willing to pay for something rare and in excellent condition even if it was just tat when first bought.

Cheers,

DV

Worth noting that although this seems like overtly capitalist, if he decided to liquidate his stock tomorrow, your own investments may well become worthless as used Lego only seems to appreciate so much because of his actions.
I don't think retired Lego sets in MISB condition ever becomes worthless. Most should hold, if not appreciate in, value - even if your BIL floods the market one day.

advertisement

Back