advertisement

The pfm Lego Investment Challenge

Still no Saturn Vs in New Zealand stores. Just as well I already have two. Today, on a whim, I bought the latest Ideas set 10232 Old Fishing Store. It looks interestingly quirky and not too unreasonably priced.

What is the correct Saturn V building music? Something involving Major Tom? Holst? Also sprach zarathustra? Jeff Wayne? Or Geoff Love?

R-394205-1454671688-9737.jpeg.jpg

The Institute of Civil Engineers is 200 years old soon, and the Manchester branch plan to celebrate this by creating a 1:10 (length) scale model in lego of the Liverpool to Manchester railway. This would be a Guinness World record.

If anyone (especially of an engineering or construction background) in the NW would like to be involved, PM me and I'll put you in touch with one of my colleagues.

Where? 1:10? Wouldn't that be three and a half miles long?!

Yep.

Design/Logistics is still to be decided. Initial call for volunteers to help work out how to do this. Very much at the concept stage. First meeting Monday 18th, Charlotte Street, Manchester.

EDIT: if you could get it in Manchester Central (with a extra curves to keep it doubling back on itself) that would be fitting. It's not the original terminus, but it was for a while and it is a bloody great big ex-railway shed. I'll suggest that to them. Both ICE and Manchester Central.

I imagine it would require most of the world's supply of Lego too! A 1:10 railway station is still going to be the size of a house!

My Saturn V is complete. A huge thing, it stands exactly as high as a JR149 on its Target R4 stand.

The track length will be 1:10. Some liberties may be taken with the rest I suspect. The current lego / model train track record is about 4 km (this would be over 5 km) - there is no need to make it exact for the record. I suspect some key landmarks (bridges, rivers etc) will be sprinkled in as appropriate.

This followed me home from the Liverpool Lego store today...

ed81d106e401b65a7011d59e37ca416d57dcefe8.JPG

They had a few on the shelf, and the cashier said new stocks are starting to come in now.

The had the new Millennium Falcon in there too, it's massive, but brilliant. Shame it's £650 though.

Edit: sorry for the huge pic...

A couple of interesting discounts:

Destiny's bounty - shop from the forthcoming movie. £74.99 down from £109.99 at Amazon.

Lego Porsche 911 was unavailable for a time. RRP 260 and available from several places for around the £180 mark

Has anyone invested in the new Millennium Falcon? For the asking price, I can have a new iPhone that will offer me much better utility if not longer term returns.

advertisement

Back