advertisement

The Olympics 2020/1 Japan.

Jesus. How dumb and low can the BBC go? That interview with Tom Daleys diving partner just now on the BBC?

"Congratulations on your Med Dole "

It's a ****ing Meddle MEDAL Not a Med Dole

Do
Jesus. How dumb and low can the BBC go? That interview with Tom Daleys diving partner just now on the BBC?

"Congratulations on your Med Dole "

It's a ****ing Meddle MEDAL Not a Med Dole

I am not surprised, the English Language is slowly sinking into low levels as we live and breathe. At least the interviewer got the main word to be understood by you!:)

Why would I want to do that ? I could discuss the sport I partake in and which I've been a 'Team GB' member on numerous occasions but I wouldn't expect many to understand the nuances of it, so I'll pass. But I will comment on a public forum about a Olympics thread as my opinion as as valid as the next man or woman, thanks.

CHE

This thread was carefully worded in the Opening Post to emphasise the positives.

Not shit on everyone’s strawberries.

Adversity???? Adversity is displaced homelands, not being able to do things because of the colour of your skin, being forced into slavery, losing loved ones to cancer, being homeless, having no job prospects, relying on foodbanks, getting raped... it is not having a very successful tennis career, acquiring an injury and going away to count your millions!!!
I believe he was at Dunblane at the time of the shooting & had friends who were killed. He talks very movingly about it.

Adversity can be lots of things.

We have just spent a few hours watching all the Women’s Skateboarding ‘Street’ Final prelims and Finals.
So pleased that the Gold and Silver are a mere 13 years old.
Been aware of Rayssa for a few years, her style and attitude is spot on.
A lot of the Skaters were obviously carrying injuries, and picked up more in the final.
Not many sports were blood is seen frequently. (sort of expected to bleed if you have had a good skate session, or a bruise. I have had a black-eye from the deck hitting me on the face on a 12’ ramp - frontside ollie that bit me on the landing :) )
The woman from the Philippines was fantastic, the Dutch were very good. Glad the Japanese did well. The old New Yorker looked surprised to be there, great style.
Looking forward to the Vert, Street is boring in competitions. Park should be mental.

Interesting to hear of the Chinese SkateBoarder factory, were they turn gymnasts and martial arts kids into Skateboarders… you couldn’t make it up.

PS Tom Pidcocks ride this morning was one of the best sporting performances I've ever seen in my life. I cried when he won. Just magnificent.

3 medals from Yorkshire today.

Quote from elsewhere "If Yorkshire were a country in 2016, it would have finished 17th on the medals table, ahead of New Zealand, Canada and South Africa among others"

Yes, like I said, the wrong kind of Yorkshire.

A couple of my friends have raced against Tom Pidcock, he won the Sheffield GP support race which is a cat 2/3, he rode away from the group with another lad I also knew. He was 14 at the time. By all accounts a very good lad, confident in the right way.

Give over :), centre of the universe where we live….

(On a more serious note, I didn’t realise Pidcock was a top road/track/time trial/cyclocross rider too, all from 50kg!).

Now watching the Men’s Gymnastics ’Team’ events.
All about the landings… And those pointed feet together when in flight. Marvellous stuff.

As a bit of an occasional mountainbiker, I just watched the mountain biking through on iplayer (very good coverage of the whole event, not just 10secs of highlights a la news) - great stuff and huge respect to Pidcock, great achievement, he'll go far. looked like he was taking it pretty easy (OK...all things relative) towards the end.

Saw the highlights of the diving too. Not really sure why synchronized diving is an Olympic sport, but they were truly superb (and very synchronized!). Nice story.

Peaty - bloody brilliant (but not unexpected?).

Cav hit the nail on the head.
It should be higher, faster, stronger and no judging needed.

Sometimes you need judges to decide who was faster or stronger, or would you discount the gymnasts? (Speaking as the Dad of a daughter on the edges of the GB squad system)

I don't think anyone under 16 should be competing. They will have had no childhood.

It’s the nature of high achievement. The 10,000 hour rule is pretty accurate for most areas, music, sport. My daughter spends about 25 hours a week at gym, plus school. She wouldn’t have it any other way. My son who’s a very talented pianist (working beyond Grade 8 on the piano aged 10) spends about 90 mins a day practising. I don’t make either of them, although I give him a little grief when he’s not doing it, as his lesson costs me a bloody fortune :)

Kids have passions too.

If anyone's still wondering about how to watch minority stuff that isn't broadcast live ( like I've been really struggling with after putting on a Eurosport subscription onto my Prime account and finding it's really limited in scope) here's a pretty good synopsis (quote from elsewhere)

BBC are limited to a maximum of 2 live events on 2 broadcasts. The BBC have chosen to have 1 broadcast that is split between BBC1 & BBC2 and sticking to the 'telling the story of the Olympics through a British prism' approach that the BBC has always done. The second BBC broadcast is the BBC Red Button and that is (generally) a selction of live events but rarely fully coverage of any one individual event (ie Prelims to Medal ceremony).

Discovery Communications in the UK is a bit more complex.

If you are a direct subscriber to Discovery Plus (or like me a legacy direct subscriber to Eurosport Player) then you have Eurosport 1 & 2 plus the pop-up Olympic channels named Eurosport 3-9 with each of the pop-up channel dedicated to a certain sport. You also have all the world feeds for events not on Eursport 1-9, just like we got from the BBC for London 2012 with the 24 pop-up BBC Olympic channels, but (and I think a lot of people forget this) in 2016 the BBC only had 16 pop-up channels so it was nearly but not quite 100% coverage of every event.

Now if you get your Eurosport through a 3rd party subscription (Sky, Virgin, Amazon Prime*) then you will have Eurosport 1 & 2 as well as the pop-up olympic channels (Eurosport 3-9) plus the UHD channel, but no access to the world feeds.

So basically its like this:-

BBC for Tokyo 2020 = Pre London games coverage, but with one extra channel of coverage.
Eurosport (from Sky, Virgin, Amazon Prime*) = Very similar to BBC's 2016 coverage which is extensive but not complete.
Eurosport (via a Discovery Plus subscription or a direct Eurosport Player subscription) = Full coverage of all event, like BBC's London 2012 coverage.

*= Amazon Prime sell a Prime Channel of Eurosport Player which normally has the full (live) coverage identical to the directly bought version of Eurosport Player, but for the Olympics the Amazon version of Eursport player only has the 9 Eurosport channels (just like Eurosport on Sky and Virgin). So the only way to watch every olympic event is a direct subscription to Discovery Plus (or be a legacy subscriber to Eurosport Player).

So... the skateboarding...

I saw some of the men's and now the women's is on.

They are almost always falling off (men and women). Not exactly Olympian, if you ask me.

I could do better.

Murray would be a lot more popular if he had lost more! The best ever British tennis player, and unfortunate to be around in the era of two players who can lay claim to GOAT. His return to playing after such a serious injury is fantastic. I’m sure he’d have gone for the singles but given a choice of one or the other he’s decided not to let his doubles partner down, and has sacrificed his own ambition to win the title three times on the run. I think that says rather a lot about him.

The olympics is about sporting endeavour. I’m very glad it embraces all aspects of sport. If it was just track and field it would just the same as the world championships. You’d rob it of it’s uniqueness.

Good for the GBR Divers, excellent dive at the end. I don’t dig the synchronised bit, but it looks hard. Not a bad day for Team GB.
Peaty is a walking muscle. (swimming)
Pidcock has a tiny voice. Looks like he weighs 4lb wet through. Scares me the mountain biking.
Hoping to see some BMX and BMX freestyle. I think there is a Birmingham woman who is good.

advertisement

Back