advertisement

The Julian Assange extradition hearings begin today

Ok, I'm catching up from behind, and in fact don't want to follow this too closely for the sake of my own wellbeing.

But in that last link, surely the way the judge specifically mentions that the outcome of the US election could have an impact on the trial totally invalidates the entire proceedings?

Either it's a legal matter, in which case who's in charge over the pond makes little difference unless given sufficient time for substantive change to the relevant legislation (so not in this case). Or it's a purely partisan political matter, in which case, sod off extradition. Isn't that something near right?

I mean, I get that even if it's entirely couched in legal process it's actually a political matter. But surely there must be at least a superficial adherence to what's supposed to be the case?

But in that last link, surely the way the judge specifically mentions that the outcome of the US election could have an impact on the trial totally invalidates the entire proceedings?

Though if there is a chance the next administration wouldn’t pursue the charges surely that is relevant? I’ve not been following this one closely so have no idea where Biden stands on it.

Though if there is a chance the next administration wouldn’t pursue the charges surely that is relevant? I’ve not been following this one closely so have no idea where Biden stands on it.

Ah yes, decent point, I was only thinking about whether his extradition was legally mandated, not whether or not a new administration would drop the charges/request.

That doesn’t seem to be a factor here though. The judge, as far as I can tell, has gone to legally extraordinary lengths to get things done quickly, and has only very recently admitted that the judgement will come after the election.

The hearings having got this far, though, any actions by a new administration would come after all the evidence had been heard etc, so I doubt that the matter could be dropped. A Biden government could perhaps choose not to accept Assange himself, but I’d expect a judgement to be issued regardless.

This thread by an observer from Reporters Without Borders is quite damning:

https://twitter.com/rebecca_vincent/status/1311577080942014465
I am not exaggerating when I say I have felt more welcome, respected, and able to do my job as an NGO observer in more professional conditions at a prison campus in Turkey than I have at Woolwich Crown Court or the Old Bailey Court in London. I am embarrassed for my country.
The authorities have gone out of their way to make access to these proceedings as difficult as possible.

The lack of transparency has been aided by the liberal media sources (Guardian, BBC) which have barely covered the hearing.

So much for defending press freedom.

Interesting (in my view) that the extradition was blocked on health grounds - which (conveniently?) allows the judge to kind of dodge the issue of whether the extradition proceedings were politically motivated or otherwise legal.

When he is fit I hope is in a place where extradition can't happen. You can't keep him locked up indefinitely for skipping bail.
He still has charges to answer in other countries with which we have extradition agreements IIRC. If we have an extradition request it should be processed correctly.

advertisement

Back