advertisement

The Julian Assange extradition hearings begin today

I was perfectly happy to see a rapist extradited to Sweden, that should have happened, but I do not support a journalist/publisher extradited anywhere for basic publishing. As stated countless times I utterly detest Assange, he’s a total creep and has to take some blame for installing Trump in the Whitehouse, but there is a journalistic precedent here and the fact he is an arsehole should not be a factor at all.

In many ways I suspect he will be safer in the USA than here as freedom of speech/freedom to publish is protected under the constitution. Not being an American citizen he was a signatory to no military NDA, no official secrets act etc, and he only published content he was given. He stole no material himself. The person who did leak the content, Chelsea Manning, is alive, well, and as I understand it dating Elon Musk’s ex Grimes! As such the idea Assange will be locked up for life or whatever is just yet more narcissistic attention seeking from one of the most egotistical attention seekers on the planet. I bet he walks free vindicated as he can certainly afford the very best lawyers, it is the very definition of a ‘free speech’ case and is protected by the US constitution.

PS He really is an utter prick.

They want to take him to the USA to set him free, I have fecking heard it all now.

They want to take him to the USA to set him free, I have fecking heard it all now.

They may not want to, but I bet that is the end result. Leave all his ego, grandstanding etc (much being about creepily evading rape charges IMO) out of it and ask what did he actually do? He published some content obtained via a leak. Content where the actual leaker, an American citizen bound by the strictest military NDAs etc who committed the actual crime here, is now free. The Guardian published the interesting content from the sane leak. Why are they not being extradited? If what Chelsea Manning did rates as say a 10 on the Great American Crime scale, what Assange (and The Guardian) did rates at a 3 if that (I’d personally rate it at a zero).

My personal view is this has been blown out of all proportion because Assange wanted to dodge a rape case. Take that out of the picture and it is a publishing thing. He’s likely in more trouble if he can be directly linked to the Russian hack of the DNC server. Publishing Manning’s leak is just journalism.

^^^^^^The rape charges always looked a bit weak. I wonder, given the efforts he has made to stop going to America, whether he shares your view on the likely outcome of extradition?

advertisement

Back