advertisement

The John Westlake/Lakewest MDAC/FDAC, VFET and Detox

I'm having a problem with my MDAC, I was using JRiver ID running on a Raspberry Pi 3, I upgraded to a Pi 4 and then I had audio problems, no matter what output it plays bit it's like it's a bit muddled with a sort of popping or stuttering. I thought it was JRiver config problem, so I loaded a SD card with MoOde player and it's the same with that. I'm not sure if it's the MDAC going faulty or what.

I don't have another source I can try. I do have a USB to S/PDIF converter I could try, or I could try to hook it up to my PC via USB but I'm not sure the cable will reach.

I remember years ago the crystal inside the MDAC failed and John sent me one which I installed, but I can't remember what the issue it caused was.

Any help would be appreciated.

Can you get hold of another DAC to see if you get the same problem? I use an RPi 4 running PiCore player into an RME DAC via USB in one system with no issues. I also tried MoOde with this arrangement and it worked fine.

Probably not my place as I don't have a dog in this fight but in order to prevent the genuine very serious issues here being buried shouldn't the user advice questions be moved to a different thread ?

Probably not my place as I don't have a dog in this fight but in order to prevent the genuine very serious issues here being buried shouldn't the user advice questions be moved to a different thread ?

Agreed, but I think Tony has to do this. Perhaps the OP can ask him to do this.

I've not heard anything for about 6 weeks. A couple of sponsors have asked for an update, but John has not responded. Even if he has little to say, John should at least just say that to maintain contact. I'm guessing he's trying to avoid the avalanche of negativity that such an update would inevitably generate.

I've not heard anything for about 6 weeks. A couple of sponsors have asked for an update, but John has not responded. Even if he has little to say, John should at least just say that to maintain contact. I'm guessing he's trying to avoid the avalanche of negativity that such an update would inevitably generate.

..Or he has realised no one is gonna do a thing about his theft and has turned off all channels and is living peacefully with his bank balance?

Yepp, and if the saying that a dog that barks doesn't bite is true,
we have barked for over a hundred pages now.
Me included, that is..
I'm not sure about 'peacefully' though.
Some spot in the unconscious is always aware that Karma can be an asshole at times.

..Or he has realised no one is gonna do a thing about his theft and has turned off all channels and is living peacefully with his bank balance?
I'm still hopeful that's not true. I'm pretty sure there is a consensus amongst the sponsors here that he's blown all if not most of those funds on furnishing his lab etc.. So the money's long gone.

But he's been a designer most of his life and a hifi enthusiast too as far as I know (not far btw), so I reckon he'll want to design a new DAC because that's what excites him. It's the issue of parts that he keeps mentioning that troubles him as I understand it. The cost of goods and required numbers etc etc. I really wish this simple roadblock could be moved away.

I just wish he'd just pay whatever say £5K and get one or two fully built PCBs and do some listening test... perhaps invite a few friendly sponsors for a listen. Even if some chips are not easy to source get them out from second hand units off eBay or pay the extra the part suppliers want, I don't think their is anything bespoke expect for the display, so just use the nearest sized display that is available...just get a few at almost any price to build the damned thing and move this DAC into existence.

I'm still hopeful that's not true. I'm pretty sure there is a consensus amongst the sponsors here that he's blown all if not most of those funds on furnishing his lab etc.. So the money's long gone.

But he's been a designer most of his life and a hifi enthusiast too as far as I know (not far btw), so I reckon he'll want to design a new DAC because that's what excites him. It's the issue of parts that he keeps mentioning that troubles him as I understand it. The cost of goods and required numbers etc etc. I really wish this simple roadblock could be moved away.

I just wish he'd just pay whatever say £5K and get one or two fully built PCBs and do some listening test... perhaps invite a few friendly sponsors for a listen. Even if some chips are not easy to source get them out from second hand units off eBay or pay the extra the part suppliers want, I don't think their is anything bespoke expect for the display, so just use the nearest sized display that is available...just get a few at almost any price to build the damned thing and move this DAC into existence.

There most probably will be a new Westlake DAC, but it won't have anything to do with this.

You'll get to buy it in shops though, start saving!

At some point my MDAC will give up and I'll be forced to pick something else up. But luckily I had the caps replaced as well as one of Johns upgrades, so it could easily last for years yet.

If I needed one tomorrow it'd likely be something from RME or MiniDSP - though whether some investigation might steer me elsewhere idk...

I'll have a dilemma if Johns DAC appears and it's comparable in price to the above. Might just stick with the MDAC and keep the cash for other things.

I wonder how John is gonna manage all the manufacturing and component price increases considering he hasn't managed to produce an item so far when stuff was cheap(er) and he's already spent the £100k... :D

At some point my MDAC will give up and I'll be forced to pick something else up. But luckily I had the caps replaced as well as one of Johns upgrades, so it could easily last for years yet.

If I needed one tomorrow it'd likely be something from RME or MiniDSP - though whether some investigation might steer me elsewhere idk...

I'll have a dilemma if Johns DAC appears and it's comparable in price to the above. Might just stick with the MDAC and keep the cash for other things.

Don't worry, there are plenty of DACs out there that will easily out perform an MDAC (e.g. the RME) and, unlike MDAC2, they actually exist.

Take you pick, anything from topping, gustard etc over £300

Mine died ("no comms") 2 months ago. A Loxjie D40 replaced it. Subjectively, at least, it was at first noticeably brighter on violin music than the MDAC, which was a L2 Toy version, and I thought it would have to go back. But after talking to the very helpful and totally un-grasping owner of Igloo Audio, who dissuaded me from splashing out serious money on a R2R dac that I had my eyes on and who suggested instead that I added into the mix a preamp I owned that was gathering dust, I'm extremely happy with what I'm now hearing.
For the past 2 or so years I had almost never switched off the MDAC, fearful that the crystal would fail if I did so and still hopeful that John would have delivered the new board before it did finally fail. So I have to say that, in spite of the lost investment (which in my case wasn't much), it's a relief to be free of this wasteful habit and hope, and this thread.
Best wishes to all.

advertisement

Back