advertisement

The John Westlake/Lakewest MDAC/FDAC, VFET and Detox

Engineering isn't about perfect. It is about optimising to get the best practical result from availble resources in a finite time with finite input.

It was obvious as long as 5yrs ago that this project was too much for one man as as good as he may have been at designing for the simple reason that the technology was marching forward faster than one man could keep up. IIRC, JW was offered expert help that he declined. My investment was "only" £350 which is probably a lot less than some. My view remains that he probably never intended the project to be a scam but has effectively turned into one. I also suspect he's on the spectrum.

Been an update on John Westlakes facebook group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/186775815400428)
Looks like its going to be 2032 at the earliest now, as the semiconductor shortage has hit them hard.

"Leadtimes for the CM4 module extend out to 2023.. but so do so many of the MDAC2 IC's - however due to the low build numbers for MDAC2 - we will be searching the gray market for required IC's..."

What the hell does he need an RPi for?, it’s only got to select source and switch filters, most people by now would be happy with a rotary switch selector and a few LEDS.

I was surprised to hear, years ago, whilst we were awaiting the mini streamer, that John had designed the Stack Link streamer.

I was recently even more surprised to hear that, despite all John's tribulations of recent times, that he has designed a new streamer for Stack, the Link II, which seems perhaps to exploit the work that John has been doing on clocks in recent years.

https://stackaudio.co.uk/aboutus/ £1,150 incl. fancy PSU

Is it still based around a highly optimised RPi control module?

Good website and probably a very good product. Well done to Stack for establishing a new British hifi manufacturer.

The Stack is good, I think the only changes to the Mk2 were the clock and software related.

I have one, so at least I am benefitting in some way by my Detox investment. Those of you in for more can’t even get that.

Well, it's way beyond a joke now. I stumbled across three upgrade options for the MDAC on the Hifi Collective website. Toy / Fusion / and a super-duper option. I must admit to some semblance of happiness over the NOT AVAILABLE caption (or something along that line).

Here from the vantage point of Tenerife, I can't get arsed to care any longer. I still hold a grudge that will last me a life time, mine or John's.

The Stack is good...

I have one...
The ministreamer, if I remember correctly, had some quirk whereby it couldn't be upgraded without returning to John. And possibly Pro-Ject's version also. Is there any restrictions like that with the Slack? Are you able to put moOde, Volumio, whatever on there at will?

I have never moved beyond RPi because I fear being stranded with a product with obsolete fw or sw. I heard a rumour about a big-brand £x,000 streamer which will never be upgradeable to spotify lossless.

Hi

yes, there is a process to upload alternative OS, it’s documented somewhere on the website.

I’ve only used the supplied Os which is a custom version of Ropiee XL, it’s worked well so far and the streamer sounds great.

For all his failings, he is still a talented designer, it’s such a shame for so many that he didn’t stick to it.

regards

Chris

Hi

yes, there is a process to upload alternative OS, it’s documented somewhere on the website.

I’ve only used the supplied Os which is a custom version of Ropiee XL, it’s worked well so far and the streamer sounds great.

For all his failings, he is still a talented designer, it’s such a shame for so many that he didn’t stick to it.

regards

Chris
On principle I wouldn't buy anything that Westlake has designed or had anything to do with. In my head it equates to condoning his treatment of PFM members.

advertisement

Back