advertisement

The John Westlake/Lakewest MDAC/FDAC, VFET and Detox

The ministreamer, if I remember correctly, had some quirk whereby it couldn't be upgraded without returning to John. And possibly Pro-Ject's version also. Is there any restrictions like that with the Slack? Are you able to put moOde, Volumio, whatever on there at will?

I have never moved beyond RPi because I fear being stranded with a product with obsolete fw or sw. I heard a rumour about a big-brand £x,000 streamer which will never be upgradeable to spotify lossless.
I never heard of any hardware problems that prevent MiniStreamer or Pro-Jets's verion from running MoOde or volumio. The CM3 module used is more or less like a standard RPI 3 software wise. You can even swap the CM3 card with one with more storage on board. I deleted Volumio and installed RopieeXL on mine. But I do not use it much anymore because RPI3/CM3 make small clicks when upsampling to DSD512 so it is only stable <=DSD256. the wify is crap because it is only 2.4Ghz which is useless in dense populated areas. But I used mine cabled so that did not matter. Currently I use a RPI4. Will first upgrade when CM4 based streamers show up.

If anyone remembers how, can you remind me how to rename the MDAC inputs pls?

I've done it before and was sure I'd made a note somewhere - searched for it and then online - failed on both.

I have the correct software loaded as the inputs are non standard currently.

"Press and hold volume knob while powering the unit.
The latest firmware allows renaming of the inputs and blanking off screen after few seconds of operation."

This isn't in the manual and I'm not sure which firmware you would need.

"Press and hold volume knob while powering the unit.
The latest firmware allows renaming of the inputs and blanking off screen after few seconds of operation."

This isn't in the manual and I'm not sure which firmware you would need.
Thank you for that - seems to display the units firmware and power input level - A10/A10 & 16.8V in my case.

It then sits there and doesn't react to any button presses on either of the unit or remote, apart from another push on the volume control which takes it to the normal display & functionality.

I'm guessing there's a press 2 buttons simultaneously to activate edit function available somehow, but my google skills are unable to find it. I'm hoping that someone has been a bit more thorough in keeping a note from way back than I clearly was!

Looks like it's simpler than I thought :oops: no double key press shenanigans needed...https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/mdac-first-listen-part-xviii.134031/page-15#post-1935745
I'll give it a try a bit later today and confirm all ok

For the sake of google/making it easy to find next time:

Audiolab MDAC/MDAC2 input label renaming (with later firmwares)

1. In the Menu select Input Label.... you don't need the Remote.
  2. Turn the knob to cycle though the alphabet / Characters push the knob to select and move to next character position.
    On the last character just push and hold the knob until the MDAC exits the menu and store the setting.

Last edited:
For the sake of google/making it easy to find next time:

MDAC input label renaming

1. In the Menu select Input Label.... you don't need the Remote.
  2. Turn the knob to cycle though the alphabet / Characters push the knob to select and move to next character position.
    On the last character just push and hold the knob until the MDAC exits the menu and store the setting.
Can you make it say MDAC2?

Doesn’t seem like anyone has posted this yet so here you go. Update from John 5 days ago.

5th day into Covid, so my minds not completely clear – but heres a promised update on the DAC progress:-

The final MDAC2 / FDAC project has been combine into a single DAC platform that is offered as a basic DAC chassis (which contains the Display, user controls, Clock section, PSU etc) – then this DAC chassis is built up with user installed DAC / module options. In light of the current worldwide semiconductor crisis this allows me to offer a basic unit that can be built up / upgraded with various options as component supply allows. This also allows a future upgrade path.

I've been working on the basic chassis which contains the Clock RF deck which is the most complex single “design” bloc of the DAC.

DAC Chassis:
(Includes clock RF deck, Digital and Analogue PSU, Front panel display + user controls) etc.

432mm x 64mm x 350mm
230Vac / 115Vac
Front panel mounted 6.3mm Headphone + 4pin XLR (Balanced)

Planned DAC / IO options:-
Main DAC Modules (can be installed by owner as available / upgrade options ) + companion modulator / digital filter / FPGA card:-

1. Fully discrete 1bit DAC Array – Direct Drive transformer output stage
2. Fully discrete 1bit DAC Array – Active Class A discrete output stage

3. 16bit x16 DAC array – Direct Drive transformer output stage

4. 16bit x16 DAC array – Active Class A discrete output stage

5. VFET Direct Interface Module

I/O Options (can be installed by owner as available / upgrade options )

1. ASync Isolated USB input

2. ASync Isolated USB input With Detox

3. CM4 Based Streamer with 802.11b/g/n/ac wireless / 1Gigabit Ethernet – 8GB eMMC with a custom version of RoPieee offering Roon,Tidal, Spotify, DLNA, Airplay... Please note offered software services subject to change.

4. SDPIF input card, BNC, Toslink & AES_EBU inputs

5. SDPIF input card with Clock Lock - BNC, Toslink

6. ADC input module with optional Phono stage

7. DSD / PCM HDMI Audio extraction card

8. Slave / Master DAC interface card (will later be expanded to offer interface to external modified DSP boxes)

9. Subwoofer output card (Secondary DAC output with independent level trim for subwoofer connections etc).

10. Hafler surround card – Secondary DAC channel for surround sound / ambiophony from regular stereo recordings

....in his head.....
sq225917: Apart from the fact that the project is taking longer and longer, nothing has changed as far as I can tell from John's side. Until some time ago you argue "against" negative opinions. That has obviously changed. What is the reason and for which the trigger?
I am interested in your personal opinion.

He doesn't post here anymore, he has abandoned the project sponsors, run off with 100k, delivered nothing but dreams, and I realised that nothing that was said on pfm would ever make any difference at all to the outcome.

He only owns me £50, I have with thousands invested.

advertisement

Back