advertisement

The John Westlake/Lakewest MDAC/FDAC, VFET and Detox

Despite the claims of the wider audio press, unless you want some hairshirt nos or r2r dac experience digital has been a done deal apart from connection types for ages. Thd + noise measurements get marginally better each year. But can you hear the difference between -124,dB and -120db thd and noise? Can anyone?

Listen to none of the sub 500 chifi contenders and see if that's the sound you like, or get something with a bit more flavour if that's your bag.

Even at £300 you can't go wrong.

Ah the old Joh Westlake thread moves on and still no progress that benefits anyone here. I'm sure Johns busy doing something that profits him and he probably feels terrible about it because he is such a good human. I just want him to refund the poor souls that handed over money for VFET amps at this point. Or to bump into him in person and really have a good talk with him.

Recently I wanted something like a Pro-ject streamer for my mum and so I had to look hard to make sure it wasn't a pro-ject streamer as I'm principled and just as I won't shop with amazon, I also won't be buying any thing that's been anywhere near John W including whatever crap we've sponsored.

Last edited:
More crap on lakewest facebook. JohnW through his proxy Renata:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Renata Cizmarova

Hi all, here is an update from John:
I’m sorry for the long delay in posting any updates, but I have been working on both VFET and the DAC platform.
VFET:-
During testing of the various DAC modules I’ve been using both tube and Class A power Amps which has been interesting – both have their virtues and failings. I’ve designed the Class A section of the VFET around a tube front end with VFET’s for the Class A stage and a Non-Switching class B stage for the current dumping “High Current” output stage.
The VFET’s implementing a variation of Quads current dumping feature a feedforward topology – so no global feedback – it’s been interesting to listen to the effects of feedback (the tube amps I’m using during the DAC development can be operated without feedback). Feedforward correction should avoid the sonic negatives of feedback.
I’ve drawn up the schematic for the VFETS and a third-party will design the PCB’s under my supervision – they will then use a modification of the design (without the VFETS – replaced by transistors) for a production design.
Realistically, they should be available in 6 months or so – and not impacted by the semiconductor shortage. So, the VFET design is now active once again and being moved forward.
DAC:-
Has been slower these past two months
– I had to part ways with the mechanical designer working on the DAC as he was pretty useless – he did not seem to understand the project and gave no constructive input to the design – working with him remotely was just not working outwe made good progress while he worked beside me in the lab, but we were unable to complete the design in the time available while he visited me. I’ve now a new designer ready to move forward with, she works with Solidworks – the original designer with Fusion, there is no direct import between the 2 softwares, so we will have to import the parts in Step format and recreate the parts in Solidworks…
I’ve seen Renata for 2 days since January 1st – I’m working offsite on these projects – I’m just struggling with time, I REALLY want to complete the mechanical design of the DAC “Mainframe” + modules, this is the first big step to completing the project – I can then start to move the prototype PCB section into the modules.
The USB Module schematic (+ Detox) is ready to be designed into the DAC module format (tested and in use), so is the CM4 based streamer – the secondary Sub-woofer / ambiance rear channel “secondary DAC channels” have been tested, I’m listening to them in the development system – these can be repackaged in the DAC module format once the mechanicals are completed.
I’ve also been testing the CD transport “Clock Lock” module – I’ve currently been testing with a customer’s CDM0 based Revox B225 – I’ve added a digital output and Clock lock interface to the ReVox – this is now serving as my CD transport test system for the DAC.
I’m still waiting for the system MCU’s I ordered in December (I sold my turntable setup to finance the purchase of the IC’s for production). The original delivery date was January 15th – it’s now been pushed back to August.
In part, the DAC module concept has been developed as a method to work around the IC shortages – the system MCU is contain within its own module, so I can design and manufacture the other section (modules) and the compete the DAC once the MCUs are available – I have a handful of MCU’s for testing /development.
It’s looking more likely that the discrete Low bit DAC array with octal modulators will be the first DAC option as this is the design, I’ve recently spent most time developing / listening to.
The DAC’s Clock Deck is progressing (the DAC’s most complex section) – I’m about to issue the production version PCB files for the main Audio clock modules / system clock (x3 modules per DAC).
Attached a pic of development listening step-up, I’m using my CLSII as the main front channels, with x2 subwoofers + my Aeons located behind the listener as the ambiance field DAC channels. The Revox is clock locked to the development DAC board.
If time goes well, I should have the Mechanicals’ completed this week.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have highlighted some of the usual bullshit for the casual and newer readers.

Key:
red = the usual bullshit
pink = epic bullshit
pale blue = poor JohnW accidentally the whole bottle! Is it dangerous?

she works with Solidworks – the original designer with Fusion, there is no direct import between the 2 softwares, so we will have to import the parts in Step format and recreate the parts in Solidworks…

This whole bit should be in PINK...
Its very easy to move between the two (member of the team I work with does this all the time)

The encouraging bits to me:

I’ve drawn up the schematic for the VFETS and a third-party will design the PCB’s under my supervision – they will then use a modification of the design (without the VFETS – replaced by transistors) for a production design.
Realistically, they should be available in 6 months or so – and not impacted by the semiconductor shortage. So, the VFET design is now active once again and being moved forward.

And

The DAC’s Clock Deck is progressing (the DAC’s most complex section) – I’m about to issue the production version PCB files for the main Audio clock modules.

It says 'production' not development. So I'm hoping things are finally all designed and it's now a production project.

The encouraging bits to me:
The DAC’s Clock Deck is progressing (the DAC’s most complex section) – I’m about to issue the production version PCB files for the main Audio clock modules.

It says 'production' not development. So I'm hoping things are finally all designed and it's now a production project.
I think that only applies to the main audio clock modules (and even then, when have they ever not been "nearly ready"?).

I can understand the skepticism because we have been in this nearly finished state many times before. But I genuinely believe what John writes "I REALLY want to complete" is true (no BS).
I am ready to be surprised :) and if not I will survive since I stopped holding back on upgrades a couple of years ago and probably saved more than I invested by only doing modest upgrades before the latest upgrades.

This whole bit should be in PINK...
Its very easy to move between the two (member of the team I work with does this all the time)

Indeed, I regularly get complex parts machined from a 3d step/igs file and a quick pdf with critical dimensions and features, the continued bull from this guy is never ending

If hes got the files in fusion just export as iges, fusion does surface or solid export as iges, he needs nothing else.

I think it's pretty clear from John's post that designing a dac is impossible, which is presumably why no dacs are ever made these days.
I seems obvious that in JW's case it is the stopping of designing a DAC and getting on with production that is proving impossible.

Imagine the fates of the poor sub-contractor handlers at Pro-Ject. It's no wonder why they have so many record decks. "Please boss, please, I'm begging you, not another JW DAC before my retirement!"

Yeah. I moved on a while ago. I lost £3200 on this but I am not going to sink more funds into that hole. John Westlake must have counted on this after nothing happened when he first defaulted on promised delivery at the end of the year 2013 or 2014. For every time delivery was not made as promised his guilt and denial were only made stronger and stronger. I am sure everything has been spent on living in the Czech Republic in the intervening years. As I wrote upthread, I even doubt that he has the VFET chips available to build my VFET monos as well as 15-30 other sets promised after I ordered my set. As I read in the Guardian about bitcoins, "All ponzi schemes topple eventually."

All we need now is for John to admit that he is incapable of finishing what he promised to do, and to apologize for his inability to spend the money on what he was supposed to spend it on.

All we need now is for John to admit that he is incapable of finishing what he promised to do, and to apologize for his inability to spend the money on what he was supposed to spend it on.

I’m very sorry but it’s extremely unlikely that anything will be delivered.
Avoid the man and accept the obvious truth, you’ve all been ripped off and it’s time to move on.
I’m absolutely gutted for everyone involved.

I agree, this is where I find myself now. I'm only about £600 down, but found it really hard to let go of the hope. I have now given up all hope. I feel sorry for myself and everyone else involved (even JW). It was all a pipe dream that went on for too long.

He could not even produce a Detox, which was just a glorified USB hub. Even an updated MDAC design with better caps and different dac chips could have saved this project... I reckon it would have been better to have taken the criticism for a less than promised product than produce nothing at all. Even a rebadged version of that Project dac may have saved JW this mega failure.

advertisement

Back