advertisement

The Hi-Fi Show - Sunday 4th March 2012

No worries Andrew for that genuine Scalford experience you are welcome to babysit Dave and my room while we ponce off listening to other people's rooms.

I'm going to try and get a newer/better version of the phono stage ready, additional mods to the CD65 and some granite plinths for my Kef 103/4's done as well. Oh, and a few more mods to my HackerNAP.

I will try and take my TDL Studio 1's, they might not fit in the car though. Also planning to have the laptop set up so I can use the 24/96 DAC in my pre-amp.

Just had a look at the spreadsheet looks like I'm in the TBC area. lol

I'm take a JLH quad antenna or another 300 ohm quad antenna, to use with a Leak Trough Line or A&R T21 tuners.

For amplification I'll to be using Quad 11 power amps with modified power supplies.
I'll also be taking my KT66 Leak TL12.1 and if I get it sorted a HMV 555 Stereoscope 20-20 integrated valve.

ECC88 based preamp with tone controls, that I'm trying to get it to fit in a Quad 22 pre-amp case.

Speakers will be Wharfedale Diamonds MK1 in rebuilt cornflake exoskeleton speaker stands.

I'm currently allocated 1st floor 46B. My planned kit list is:

- Modded Lenco L75 in layered plywood plinth. It has a ceramic ball bearing and has been modded to allow arm-boards.
- Audiomods arm
- Dynavector TKR and/or Supex SD900 Super
- Marantz CD65 with a long list of mods including full DEM reclock (uses the famous TDA1541A DAC)
- DIY Pre-amp with: Salas DC-B1 buffer/pre; Salas MC phono stage with V1.2R regs; AK4393 DAC 24/96 with 5 x super-regs
- DIY HackerNAP
- Modded Kef Reference 103/4
- Modded Nakamichi 682ZX
- Modded Akai GX-77
- Laptop to feed the DAC

I also would like to bring:

- Pioneer SA-9100
- TDL Studio 1

I love the idea of scaffold hall and hope it keeps going and growing.

I have to ask a question though..

The thought of - hiring a van, paying money for the priveledge to exhibit, petrol, hard effort of lugging kit, setting up, two days showing my stuff...

With absolutely no personal benefit whatsoever ...

Why bother?!

Seriously, I'd need to be paid to exhibit.

Why bother?!

You don't get the first without people bothering.

Although unless we fall off the bench I probably won't go. There are only a couple of rooms I'm really interested in.

Paul

The thought of - hiring a van, paying money for the priveledge to exhibit, petrol, hard effort of lugging kit, setting up, two days showing my stuff...

Why bother?!

:rolleyes:

You dont have to pay (unless you want a room for the night before, or a large room to exhibit)
Its only one day to exhibit
Its really good fun, to spend a day spinning some tunes.
Meeting interested people
Its a really nice relaxed atmosphere!

Why bother?!

The joy of music.
The fun.
The Curry.
Hearing stuff you have never heard before.
etc.etc.

Why bother?!

Perhaps you could come as a visitor, and pay each of the exhibitors a small amount then? Say a fiver each?

Why bother?!

I can understand your point to a degree, having exhibited at all the shows so far I can can definitely say that I didn't make a profit in money terms, but on a personal level I definitely did, I was a totally great experience.

I think those who get involved as an exhibitor understand what terms it currently operates under, they either except this and get on with it and take the positives from it or don't, this may change in the future who knows.

This is the first year I will be going as a visiting punter and I'm very much looking forward to it.:D

Hi Tim,

I am going to the show (first-timer) and have an MDAC you are welcome to borrow for the day.

If you PM me your contact details, we can make firm arrangements.

Regards,

George

I will be a visiting punter again this year (4th year) and am extremely grateful to everyone responsible for allowing me to hear such a spectrum of worthwhile kit, unlike commercial shows. This year meeting up with my daughter & one of her friends, both of whom have realised from my kit just how much a difference the equipment you use makes to what you hear. And my son's joined me in previous years

There's a lot to get round in a relatively short time.

Maybe next year I'll have some equipment I think is worth letting others hear

Why bother?!

Do you think you may have missed the point of the thing then. Its partly spirit of the wam, partly willy waving, and mostly bloody good fun. It is nice to spend a day where being a 'geek' does not condem you to join the minority group over in the corner.

Totally disagree about the Leak 2075's... Great speaker with very tight and extended bass. I'll admit that the original tweeter is a bit dodgy but they could be replaced with something better.

Totally disagree about the Leak 2075's... Great speaker with very tight and extended bass. I'll admit that the original tweeter is a bit dodgy but they could be replaced with something better.

Wise words!

Although it is surprising how the tweeters calm down a bit given some decent internal cable and new capacitors.

advertisement

Back