advertisement

The classical what are you listening to now ? thread.

Debussy, Faure, and Ravel Piano Trios - Florestan Trio (Hyperion).
This is an outstanding disc of sublime, masterful French chamber music. The playing is of the highest order, and the recorded sound is warm and beautiful.

Poulenc - Chamber Music - Menuhin, Fournier, Civil, Portal, et al (EMI France).
The unique genius of Francis Poulenc. Brilliant.

For something a little different, but quite beautiful, try this as a taster
Chopin with a neo-classical twist

La Gaia Scienza playing Schubert's Notturno and Piano Trio 2

816XW3qyjpL._SS500_.jpg

Andrea Lucchesini playing Beethoven's Op 101 sonata. For several years now this has remained the best Beethoven Piano Sonata cycle I have heard for performances.

51AQ2GQTG8L.jpg

Mozart “Haydn” String Quartets - Chilingirian Quartet (CRD), these three cds were some of my earliest Classical music purchases. Great place to start with Mozart.

Dinu Lipatti - Last Recital 1950 Besancon (EMI References), the man is a legend and this recital shows why. The Chopin Waltzes are incomplete here, with Lipatti in too much pain to complete them (#2 is missing). The 13 that he did play, though, are of such a high caliber that they even surpass his studio recording of the complete 14. His Bach, Mozart, and Schubert are peerless as well, with playing that is both unmannered and sublime. This is an artist whose playing is totally subservient to the music, and is completely devoid of egotistical leanings. The great Boulanger was Lipatti’s “musical guide” and “spiritual mother”, and Cortot thought his playing was “perfection”. Lipatti played Chopin’s Waltzes in his own chosen order, as opposed their numerical order, and I have to say that I prefer Lipatti’s order, FWIW.
One of the undisputed best, from that grand old era of Classical music performance...

Last edited:
This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back