advertisement

The classical what are you listening to now ? thread.

Stefano Scodanibbio: Oltracuidansa

An hour of double bass (with some electronic imput I would usually avoid). I searched this out to see how my new second system of Adiolab M-one amp/dac with Spendor 5/3SR2 would contend. ***** I am delighted.

I didn't expect to play the piece more than a couple of times on each system but I have played it several times on each. I think it is well worth a listen.

Cheers, good wishes, Brian S

James Dillon's ninth string quartet - and hoping the Arditti might release a recording of all of them in the not too distant future.

Handel Messiah, Hogwood
PDlwjLs.jpg

51DjIqnlrsL._SS500.jpg

One doesn't really think of Ashkenazy when thinking of Mahler, but this recording of the Third is quite good. To be sure, it doesn't displace favorites like Ozawa or Salonen, but Ashkenazy makes no unforced errors, delivers a well-judged performance in every regard, and is recorded in some fine Decca sound. (The Schoenberg is a big old bonus.)

If Ashkenazy's Sydney Symphony cycle is boxed up nice and cheap, I may go for it.

Grieg Piano Concerto in A minor followed by the Symphonic Dances Op 64. An excellent recording from Naxos 8.557279. Enjoyable music for New Years Day

advertisement

Back