advertisement

The classical what are you listening to now ? thread.

Yeah, it's for chamber orchestra. And I think you've hit the nail on the head as to why it's so good: you hear more from less. I don't whether it's the transcription or the performance that makes it so delicate and easy on the ears but either way, it's a winner from start to finish

I find a similar effect between listening to the orchestral version of Pictures at an Exhibition by Mussorgsky and the original Piano version, the stark clarity of the Piano cuts through to the core of the piece. I still like the Ravel orchestration though.

Bach Cantatas 161-163: Harnoncourt, Concentus Musicus Wien.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000000SB3/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

I bought this set on a trip to Amsterdam in 1988, from C&A which had a fantastic music dept. It’s been with me through so many hifis in 30 years, not listened for several years, now through a Devialet it sounds magnificent. A beautiful reading collides with fine audio engineering- Teldec.

You can get it on Amazon s/h for 77 pence!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Mahler 8 Gergiev and LSO live in St Paul’s. Some of the balance and sound generally is wonky (because of the venue I guess) but what a performance - electrifying from start to finish.

Scheherazade on Decca SXL2268.

What a superb piece of music.
Beautifully played, recorded, mastered and put onto vinyl.

In 1961.

I had a great urge, yesterday,to listen to some of Haydn’s string quartets.Naxos has done a splendid job with the Haydn and Beethoven quartets ...wonderful playing and SQ ...but the Mozart SQ is very disappointing (too distant and reverberant).
I’m currently listening to this Haydn op.mixture.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00002606W/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Schubert violin/piano sonatinas. Grumiaux/Castagnone 1955 and Boskovsky/Kraus, 1957.

advertisement

Back