advertisement

The Car cleaning section , Please join in

In the continuing saga of my ageing Civic...

I decided it was time to replace the front foglamp that has a cracked lens. Just for a laugh.. I asked the local Honda dealership...

"£288+VAT."

That is for a plastic moulding smaller ..and no doubt easier/cheaper to produce than 'yer average hand torch. As I explained to the chap at the dealer's. I expect something of a premium for genuine main stealer parts.. but £288+ .. for about 50gm of plastic? They can **** right off... I'm currently seeking one from a breaker... and considering the 15 quid a pair Chinese ones off of eBay.

That said.. I did shell out about £2.30 each for several plastic 'push pin clips'. I discovered that a panel under the engine was missing a few.. no doubt removed and not replaced at some point by some 'dedicated professional'... service person..and a possible explanation for a roaring noise I get at certain speeds. It could be down to the car's underwear flapping in the breeze...

Also just for a laugh..I asked for a price on the Auxiliary Drive Belt. (Civic has a cam chain). I'd already got a price of about £27 from Euro Car Parts, but the Honda chap asked me why I wanted to change it:

"70k miles plus".. I replied.
He was however insistent: "We don't change them".
Me: "OK, I know it's not catastrophic if it breaks.. but.."
He: "It won't break".
I decided to risk it and blame him if it breaks...

Meanwhile.. as I sat in a deserted showroom waiting for my push pin clips.. I noticed several of the dealership's staff looking closely at my Civic as they passed. One came into the showroom and looked me up and down before entering the Parts bay... where I could hear muffled conversation.
When the chap came out with my clips..I mentioned that his colleague seemed interested in my car.
"Yes.. he asked me what I thought you'd take for it"
"What did you say?" Quoth I.
"Nothing.. he's keeping it..." Quoth he.
"That's certainly my thinking" I said.
"Don't blame you" he said. "Unbreakable car.."

Which was nice....

Not quite car cleaning; but more car protection...

Started the underseal application this morning

I've gone with Lanoguard: https://www.lanoguard.co.uk/collections/moto

So front wheel arch liners out; all areas scrubbed with ACP and a detailing brush; rinsed; dried with an electric fan heater & then Lanoguard applied:

Will get on with the rears as soon as I can, as well as doing the sills and I'll see what I can protect on the tailgate area too :D

Right.. OK.. :)

Meanwhile...

Do folks use Rain-X on the inside of screens. The bottle doesn't say... ( Yes.. I know it rarely rains inside cars...but..the screens still get crappy...)

And...

How do I find out the colour code for the standard fit Alloys on my Civic? Couple of small chips need a touch up.

In the continuing saga of my ageing Civic...

I decided it was time to replace the front foglamp that has a cracked lens. Just for a laugh.. I asked the local Honda dealership...

"£288+VAT."

That is for a plastic moulding smaller ..and no doubt easier/cheaper to produce than 'yer average hand torch. As I explained to the chap at the dealer's. I expect something of a premium for genuine main stealer parts.. but £288+ .. for about 50gm of plastic? They can **** right off... I'm currently seeking one from a breaker... and considering the 15 quid a pair Chinese ones off of eBay.

That said.. I did shell out about £2.30 each for several plastic 'push pin clips'. I discovered that a panel under the engine was missing a few.. no doubt removed and not replaced at some point by some 'dedicated professional'... service person..and a possible explanation for a roaring noise I get at certain speeds. It could be down to the car's underwear flapping in the breeze...

Also just for a laugh..I asked for a price on the Auxiliary Drive Belt. (Civic has a cam chain). I'd already got a price of about £27 from Euro Car Parts, but the Honda chap asked me why I wanted to change it:

"70k miles plus".. I replied.
He was however insistent: "We don't change them".
Me: "OK, I know it's not catastrophic if it breaks.. but.."
He: "It won't break".
I decided to risk it and blame him if it breaks...

Meanwhile.. as I sat in a deserted showroom waiting for my push pin clips.. I noticed several of the dealership's staff looking closely at my Civic as they passed. One came into the showroom and looked me up and down before entering the Parts bay... where I could hear muffled conversation.
When the chap came out with my clips..I mentioned that his colleague seemed interested in my car.
"Yes.. he asked me what I thought you'd take for it"
"What did you say?" Quoth I.
"Nothing.. he's keeping it..." Quoth he.
"That's certainly my thinking" I said.
"Don't blame you" he said. "Unbreakable car.."

Which was nice....
Nice read Mull although it did feel like the blog of a Yorkshireman who squeezes the tea bags to re-use them, lots of laughs!

Right.. OK.. :)

Meanwhile...

Do folks use Rain-X on the inside of screens. The bottle doesn't say... ( Yes.. I know it rarely rains inside cars...but..the screens still get crappy...)

Rain-X is great on the outside but my feeling on this is don't use it on the inside (however I have never tried it). The inside of car windows get 'filmy' and I find a wipe with a damp cloth (perhaps with a little detergent) and then dried off is most effective. If treated with Rain-X any moisture would bead up and then run down the screen. After time I expect this would leave marks that would be more annoying than a gently developing haze.

Nice read Mull although it did feel like the blog of a Yorkshireman who squeezes the tea bags to re-use them, lots of laughs!

Today, a pair of Chinese made foglamps arrived, earlier than predicted. They turn out to have die cast bodies, complete with 'Made in Japan'. They are fakes, but seem like pretty good ones to me and worth a punt at under £30 for the pair. I suspect the makers have literally taken a mould from an original and reproduced it. However.. I'm not rolling about removing the car's bumper as it will just kick off my vertigo, and in any case my knees are so shot now that I can't get down low without a very comprehensive plan for getting up again.. So I'll get my local mech and fellow Honda lover to do the job.

Rain-X is great on the outside but my feeling on this is don't use it on the inside

Yep. It was just an idle thought on my part. Generally I'd use Windolene spray inside and wipe off with kitchen paper. Not the old srtyle pink stuff, but the newer green liquid which works very well. However..I can't seem to find any at present and both the Teco and Coop 'equivalents are useless. unless you are looking for something to add a nice smear effect to glass.

I'm convinced my car gets dirtier sat unused than it would if it were my daily driver, it's filthy!

Yes well.. If you drive it in the dry you'll at least blow the dust off. And in the wet it gets a shower...:)

I sue the Autoglym micro-fibre cloth that Volvo gave me with my V60CC for wiping down after rinsing off after washing. I find it more efficient than a leather.

However I only have one of them, and could do with a couple more.

Anyone on here use a particular brand or type of micro-fibre cloth that they would recommend?

Thanks,

Andy.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I sue the Autoglym micro-fibre cloth that Volvo gave me with my V60CC for wiping down after rinsing off after washing. I find it more efficient than a leather.

Anyone on here use a particular brand or type of micro-fibre cloth that they would recommend?

Thanks,

Andy.

I guess no one uses a chamois anymore?

Thanks,

Andy.

Anyone works. The most important is to use a NEW one every time.

advertisement

Back