advertisement

The Car cleaning section , Please join in

For me currently it's:

Nilfisk power washer; Autobrite Snow Foam cannons
Autoglym (AG) Polar Blast Snow foam
AG Polar Wash or Ultimate Shampoo
AG Polar Seal or Chemical Guys 'Insta Wax' - this is more of a spring/summer finish, Polar Seal over the Autumn & Winter months

I use either a decent microfibre towel or a lambs wool mitt to wash the car; 2 buckets usually, but always have a grit guard in any bucket I use

The car gets towel dried with The Chemical Guys 'Woolly Mammoth' towel and the alloys/tyres dried with a normal drying towel (such as one of the Megs one or standard ones from Amazon)

I use AG Magma to clean the wheels and de-iron/tar the lower quarters of the cars; AG Tar Remover for the stubborn spots (silver cars, so it stands out a mile)

The alloys get cleaned with the Chemical Guys Red Rocket wheel brush and whichever soap I'm using; they'll get removed every other month for a full clean and wax; the wheel arches cleaned/scrubbed with a stiff brush and then treated with AG Rubber & Vinyl Care (works well IMO)

The interiors are simply hoovered; surfaces treated with AG Rubber/Vinyl care and a microfibre towel. All door seals are treated with Gummi Pflege regularly: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004B8GTQG/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Engine bays get power washed, dried and treated with AG Rubber/Vinyl care again; works well and lasts well :)

As for the glass; that gets treated with wither Dodo Juice 'Clearly Menthol' or AGs 'Fast Glass'

That's about it really; I'm not a detailer, so I don't do DA polishing etc. I do have an orbital polisher, but rarely use it as don't trust myself and our cars are silver, so they hide any marks very well ;) :D

Don't you use a detailing brush and either a cloth or a hand-vac to keep the instrument binnacles and other crevices minty? I'm quite surprised, you're pretty much bang on.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
so did my last 2. I use them.
I Used to be a 'weekly washer', but now it's about every month or so:
1. Cold water and soft brush.
2. Hot water with Halfords best waxy wash stuff on a sponge. Hose it all off.
Power wash plastic skirts and wheels/wheel arches.
Chamy Leather dry.
I have some kind of 'diamond hard' protect film applied on new cars so no waxing for three years.

On the old Merc tho it's different. I'm preserving that as in as good nic as i can get, so no pressure washer goes near it, and it gets Autoglym wax twice a year after the above routine.
I do also use an Autoglym product that is good for removing brake dust from the alloys on those occasions, and then coat the wheels with a preservative cleaner too.

People over do the pressure washers, it's important to get one that has an adjustable output, and adjustable fan too. When I did such things, I found them really useful to mist the car with, to help lift dirt off the panels without scratching. Why do people always use them square on as well, rather than applying any spray directionally? eh.

've this as one of my drying towels; it does a great job:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01FKGIJ6A/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This is my main drying towel:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0042Z0LEO/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

And these for cleaning/polishing etc:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07Q1ZVHYH/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

I've got these for other bits as well (alloys, applying polishes/glazes/wheel wax etc):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00M09VYAY/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Thanks for these specific suggestions. I'll order a couple of the drying towels. I have plenty of smaller cloths for detailing, but like the microfibre cloth as it seems far easier to use than a leather.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Thanks for these specific suggestions. I'll order a couple of the drying towels. I have plenty of smaller cloths for detailing, but like the microfibre cloth as it seems far easier to use than a leather.

Yeah; only issue with the microfibre towels is that they're not as soft as you'd like really; more so for the drying part. They don't wick the water away as well as a dedicated drying towel IMO

But they're handy to have in (I've loads) and are always being used etc

The great thing about a quick visit to the dealer for a warranty fix is that they wash the car!

51413930072_16d2628fd5_b.jpg

Nice car Nero, I take it that’s a plate that’s sentimental to you and stays with you.

It normally stays with me, but the other day, it fell off the tailgate on the motorway and the rozzers stopped me for not having a numberplate.

2 months/2500+ miles since I applied the Meguiar's ceramic wax to the MX, and it's still doing its job very well indeed without needing topping up. Just a 'normal' wash as and when required.
51417672199_3e66a97292_b.jpg

It's probably the best wax/clean car product I've ever used.
You can’t beat meguiars

regarding meguiars, i just used their 35 quid soft top kit. patchwork disaster, says it goes on transparent. it doesn't. it adds a gloss, so you need paint and bodyshop skills to apply it evenly. now i need to either buy 3 tins at 17 quid each or start again with a different product.
51421712811_5d5255e534_b.jpg

Yes but the car’s real strength is in cruising. There’s such a surfeit of power/torque that you can put it anywhere. Even into a ditch I guess :)

advertisement

Back