advertisement

The Car cleaning section , Please join in

Update on an opposite of detailing: scooped the existing bugsplat off and gave it a decent wash& clean - and went for an early drive out; at the first break,Brecon, then counted splattered bugs!

Curiously satisfying : )
IMG_6923_600px.jpg
I murdered zillions of bugs on my drive back from the Lake District yesterday. A couple of weeks ago I treated the cars to a couple of coatings of Turtle Wax Graphene-infused stuff. It does seem to work very well, & I discovered the sad little dead insect bodies just brushed off.

199387204_10222648306369106_871383155346664201_n.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Hello experts. I reversed our car out of my mate's front garden a few weeks ago. As I did so I scratched the (metallic) paintwork on his hedge. I knew I was scraping the hedge, but carried on because I didn't think it would mark the car. But it has.
car-scratch.jpg

wt7Cm54G

The scratches look pretty superficial (it was literally caused by the hedge twigs). Neither I nor my wife care about cars, however wifey doesn't like the scratches and wants them fixed. At the time I mumbled something about some t-cut but I've never used it before and am out of my depth. I just want to get the paintwork restored as it annoys wifey.

Can anyone recommend a suitable product, all I've got is some elbow grease and a cloth in terms of tools and I'd like to minimise use of the former. The scratches are contained within an area about a two feet long by three inches, I don't want the job to 'mission creep' to the whole nearside of the car (I think that's a problem with t-cut?). Can anyone recommend a suitable product?

Edit, sorry for huge photo, still learning about Postimages.org it seems.

Hello experts. I reversed our car out of my mate's front garden a few weeks ago. As I did so I scratched the (metallic) paintwork on his hedge. I knew I was scraping the hedge, but carried on because I didn't think it would mark the car. But it has.
car-scratch.jpg

wt7Cm54G

The scratches look pretty superficial (it was literally caused by the hedge twigs). Neither I nor my wife care about cars, however wifey doesn't like the scratches and wants them fixed. At the time I mumbled something about some t-cut but I've never used it before and am out of my depth. I just want to get the paintwork restored as it annoys wifey.

Can anyone recommend a suitable product, all I've got is some elbow grease and a cloth in terms of tools and I'd like to minimise use of the former. The scratches are contained within an area about a two feet long by three inches, I don't want the job to 'mission creep' to the whole nearside of the car (I think that's a problem with t-cut?). Can anyone recommend a suitable product?

Try Autoglym Super Resin polish. Its clever stuff which acts as a wax and a polish. If you work it lightly it makes a great wax but if you work it hard it will 'cut' the paint lightly but its hidden trick is it contains a filler which masks light scratches quite well.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009LHHHZE/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
car-scratch.jpg

wt7Cm54G

I'd go either Megs ultimate compound or swirl remover:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002KKCLO6/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002KKCLPK/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

And then Poorboys Black Hole; perfect for dark cars:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00TQ3YNK0/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

I personally wouldn't use AG stuff; it leaves a lot of dust and doesn't last well at all; from experience

A timely thread, because this weekend involved one of my daughter's friends projectile vomiting all over the back of my car on some very jumpy country roads. Luckily it is only a clapped out Jazz, almost old enough to get a licence and drive itself. It was quite the lingering stench though!

I take mine to an illegal immigrant car wash. I like going the one on Clough Road in Hull the most because they all scarpered one day when the police showed up, leaving foamy cars standing on the forecourt.

car-scratch.jpg

wt7Cm54G

Any standard car polish will work on that well enough to make it satisfactory to owners who aren't regular polishers. T cut is too coarse, it works but you will get a dull area that then needs polishing out. Polish won't leave a full area, and the final result is proportional to the time spent. Just make sure that the area is scrupulously clean before you start.

Update on an opposite of detailing: scooped the existing bugsplat off and gave it a decent wash& clean - and went for an early drive out; at the first break,Brecon, then counted splattered bugs!

Curiously satisfying : )
IMG_6920_600px.jpg

IMG_6923_600px.jpg

My grid turned up this week, inaugural run next week, or maybe the weekend, if the weather is nice.

Having just had a 200 euro polish on the missus' car I find myself reluctant to put any cleaning products on it now for fear of getting a milky smear. I thought it was a metallic black before the polish. But it is in fact gloss black!

So what non milky products can I put on whatever polish is currently on it? It's so glossy now it shows up dust really fast.

Having just had a 200 euro polish on the missus' car I find myself reluctant to put any cleaning products on it now for fear of getting a milky smear. I thought it was a metallic black before the polish. But it is in fact gloss black!

So what non milky products can I put on whatever polish is currently on it? It's so glossy now it shows up dust really fast.
A polish does what it says - polish it to a shine with a very mild abrasive action, which you are not wanting to do..
Depends **very** much what the top coat applied to that what you have before a proper reccomendation can be made as to what to put on it - wax / sealant wise. Whatever it is - dont 'polish' it any more..
Wax will last 2-6 months at best - full on sealants (pretty big job actually) big load of choices.

A polish does what it says - polish it to a shine with a very mild abrasive action, which you are not wanting to do..
Depends **very** much what the top coat applied to that what you have before a proper reccomendation can be made as to what to put on it - wax / sealant wise. Whatever it is - dont 'polish' it any more..
Wax will last 2-6 months at best - full on sealants (pretty big job actually) big load of choices.
So after washing how to get rid of streaks!

Did that on the disgusting fog that had developed after years of careful neglect on the wife's Punto. Surprisingly effective. Just make sure to mask surrounding paintwork and work methodically through the grades to the final polish.

On the topic of lights...

I need to use the headlight kit on my own Civic's headlamps.. but on a 17 year old car will likely only need the final polish stage.

Rear lamp clusters are a different proposition. There's green mossy stuff in the 'blind' gap around their edges and I can't find any way of getting it out. Looks like the only way would be to remove the clusters, but that looks like a real PITA, involving removal of rear bumper and much more. Sod that.. it's only a car.
It hasn't been cleaned by anyone since just pre the first lockdown and for about 3 months I've been working up to a jetwash.. with a (doubtful) option for a handwash.and even more doubtful polish to follow.

Poorboys Black Hole

Well after quite a bit of work on Wednesday (new Arnott rear SLS bags, new E39 M5 rear ARB with Powerflex poly bushes, new drop links & new rear ATE discs & ceramic pads (all preventative maintenance FYI ), it’s had a full detail (engine bay too)

advertisement

Back