advertisement

The Car cleaning section , Please join in

Did that on the disgusting fog that had developed after years of careful neglect on the wife's Punto. Surprisingly effective. Just make sure to mask surrounding paintwork and work methodically through the grades to the final polish.

I haven't bought a kit, just using stuff I have lying around. They aren't terrible so it shouldn't be too difficult I'd have thought.

a car cleaning question please.

My car has had, since new, a paint protection pack applied. Last month we were diverted through some wet tarmac, some of which sprayed up the sides of the car, leaving a lot of tiny black blobs (now hard). Some of the tiny ones come away with a thumbnail scrape, but the bigger ones just smear into a tarry mess.
Q. What will remove these without damaging the protection pack layer?
Ta.

@Matt.J Solvol Autosol works pretty well on hard plastics..but I think caveat emptor applies with anything 'just lying around. o_O

My car has had, since new, a paint protection pack applied. Last month we were diverted through some wet tarmac, some of which sprayed up the sides of the car, leaving a lot of tiny black blobs (now hard). Some of the tiny ones come away with a thumbnail scrape, but the bigger ones just smear into a tarry mess.
Ta.
Bleach

@Matt.J Solvol Autosol works pretty well on hard plastics..but I think caveat emptor applies with anything 'just lying around. o_O

I have sandpapers from 80-5000 grit and multiple polish/cutting compounds just lying around, so I think I'm covered.

Ta.

A clay bar or clay mitt would be my first attempt at that.

Ta.

It’s impossible to know the details of the protection applied, or indeed whether what was applied is actually still doing anything worthwhile (such products often claim to remain effective for much longer than is plausible).

But in general there’s a class of products for this job, such as this (Amazon link as I believe it helps pfm) - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0011539II/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

Ta.

Autoglym Tar Remover or, WD40 - spray on a cloth and wipe the area over liberally and let it soak for 30 secs or so and then repeat and it should come off fine :)

Wash that area (or the whole car afterwards) and maybe look to apply something like Autoglym Aqua Wax to protect the area; or a spray on carnunba based wax etc

Ta.
WD40 and a clean microfibre cloth will deal with it

Wax polish will remove tar blobs, if you are patient. If not, a drop of petrol, diesel or paraffin on a brush, cloth or cotton bud will work.

On the topic of lights...

I need to use the headlight kit on my own Civic's headlamps.. but on a 17 year old car will likely only need the final polish stage.

Rear lamp clusters are a different proposition. There's green mossy stuff in the 'blind' gap around their edges and I can't find any way of getting it out. Looks like the only way would be to remove the clusters, but that looks like a real PITA, involving removal of rear bumper and much more. Sod that.. it's only a car.
It hasn't been cleaned by anyone since just pre the first lockdown and for about 3 months I've been working up to a jetwash.. with a (doubtful) option for a handwash.and even more doubtful polish to follow.
Same here on a Type R, pressure washer and mould remover shifted most of it but can't get all of it, some that seems to be inside the cluster itself.
De-fogged partner's Corolla headlights today and one of my Civic's that was starting to show some staining. Used Turtle wax headlight restorer kit. Great stuff includes 4 grades of sanding pads, de hazing compound and a reseal/ uv protector coat that replaces the original coating and helps prevents future fogging.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004XZQF8O/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Last edited:
This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
On further inspection of mine it isn't fogging but micro stone chips that gives it a sandblasted look, probably requires a fairly decent sand to key it back to smooth/clear finish.

Same here on a Type R, pressure washer and mould remover shifted most of it but can't get all of it, some that seems to be inside the cluster itself.
De-fogged partner's Corolla headlights today and one of my Civic's that was starting to show some staining. Used Turtle wax headlight restorer kit. Great stuff includes 4 grades of sanding pads, de hazing compound and a reseal/ uv protector coat that replaces the original coating and helps prevents future fogging.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004XZQF8O/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

I jet washed and then hand washed the Civic this afternoon. It certainly looks better but....

-Paintwork..which is basically black.. looks like it needs a good waxing as a minimum to remove a 'haze' all over.

-Still have the issue with rear lights. I can't find anything online about removal, Honda certainly screw things together well.. I'd like to get the radio out to look for an 'AUX' input to use for connecting external digital music sources.. but I think the engine needs to come out to do that....

-I've let the wheels.. traditional 'anodised' alloys.. get stained with brake dust etc. Mer body wax is removing the staining..sort of.. but recommendations for a purpose designed product gratefully accepted.

On further inspection of mine it isn't fogging but micro stone chips that gives it a sandblasted look, probably requires a fairly decent sand to key it back to smooth/clear finish.

This is the kit I bought. My wife's car headlights were very fogged but this worked and left loads of materials over for me to do my lamps too.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B075KFP3H5

Use the buffer pad in a drill.... on a slow setting..

I jet washed and then hand washed the Civic this afternoon. It certainly looks better but....

-Paintwork..which is basically black.. looks like it needs a good waxing as a minimum to remove a 'haze' all over.

-Still have the issue with rear lights. I can't find anything online about removal, Honda certainly screw things together well.. I'd like to get the radio out to look for an 'AUX' input to use for connecting external digital music sources.. but I think the engine needs to come out to do that....

-I've let the wheels.. traditional 'anodised' alloys.. get stained with brake dust etc. Mer body wax is removing the staining..sort of.. but recommendations for a purpose designed product gratefully accepted.

This is the kit I bought. My wife's car headlights were very fogged but this worked and left loads of materials over for me to do my lamps too.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B075KFP3H5

Use the buffer pad in a drill.... on a slow setting..

I know you have an S but many common fixtures/parts etc, loads of good info here; https://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/index.php?forums/faqs.53/

Gave the MX its first coat of Meguiar's ceramic wax this weekend. Very happy with the result - it gave the colour a noticable amount of extra depth and brought out the fine metallic fleck. The other bonus is the wax seems to hide swirl marks very well indeed, so if you haven't got time to do a full clay/polish/wax/seal, it's just the the ticket.
It'll be interesting to see how the wax stands up as the MX is doing around 400 miles a week (motorway hacks + commuting, out in all weathers).

51276858009_9eb4274067_b.jpg

Yesterday afternoon, I waxed my car. I'd already jet washed then hand washed it the day before,for the first time in about 18 months, but as I was using up an old bottle of 'Mer' polish wot I found in the garage.. I found myself thinking how long it is since I last waxed a car. Basically, it is so long that I'd forgotten how hard it is when you are an old git and only marginally enthusiastic. I also found out how much I missed by not using a 'detailing' brush yesterday..

Naturally.. the minute I finished.. it started peeing down...

Today.. the wheels need a major cleanup and I need to do the whole 'back to black' routine on certain plastic bits. And of course the inside is filthy... and the engine compartment... well..
default_ohmy.png

But, I will finish giving it a good clean and then no doubt ignore it for another couple of years.

Ooops!..nearly forgot.. Need to change oil and filter..

advertisement

Back