advertisement

The Car cleaning section , Please join in

Could you just fit a smaller backing plate, pad etc to the machine you’ve already got?

It’s a long time since I messed about with my DA but pretty sure I could use smaller pads with it.

Good call! Hadn't even thought of that... It's all down to how big the body of the other DA is though as that may still get in the way

Megs 3" backing plate here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00PYCXGSW/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

I use their 5" backing plate and its very good

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Could you just fit a smaller backing plate, pad etc to the machine you’ve already got?

It’s a long time since I messed about with my DA but pretty sure I could use smaller pads with it.

The polisher I have is big and heavy , Also not dual action , I will have a look and see what I can find re smaller pads . Thanks

I don’t know why they asked, as it’s theirs anyway technically.

The car is is owned by Audi Financial Services, which is a subsidiary of VW Financial Services, which shares the same name but is separate from the Audi who buys and sells cars.

At the moment, with the huge lead times on new cars, and especially on those which are a bit more exotic, dealers will do anything to get stock. That includes paying over the odds to buy back recently sold cars or build slots from customers. For example, a dealer has told me that Land Rover recently offered a customer his deposit + £20k to buy his top-spec Range Rover build slot - which they took and bought something else. This madness is reflected in inflated used prices - people coming to the end of a PCP /lease who need a new car (or think they do) or simply must have a [insert car name of choice] are prepared to pay over the odds.

TL;DR - Audi is likely to offer you more than you currently owe on the car and with a bit of negotiation, you might get back more than the original price paid. THe downside is that you then need to find a car until your next RS6 can be made.

Interestingly, I had a call from Audi to see if I was interested in changing the RS because of supply shortage. They might change their mind when they see how filthy it is

I don’t know why they asked, as it’s theirs anyway technically.
Some dealers are even more desperate. I started getting emails asking to buy back a car that I had never bought. The reg no was in the email! I did call them and they were just as puzzled as me.

Does anyone use or can recommend a 3" dual action variable speed polisher ?
I have a big one ( Ooo er Mrs ) :D
I didn’t mean to quote Al per se, just highlighting the original question.

personally I would recommend the in2detailing DA8 which is both 5” and 3” with swappable plate and it’s what I bought along with Rupes yellow polish and both Rupes pads and white wool pad, give Imran a call to discuss.

Before I went near mine with the DA though I washed, clayed with pad which I much prefer to a bar and as lubrication is essential I used diluted ONR, then decontaminated with home made IPA700ml RO water, 270ml isopropyl and 30ml surfactant) and a final wipe with a branded panel cleaner.

Shop around of course but just to show you some of the products

https://www.in2detailing.co.uk/coll...tailing-da8-900w-dual-action-machine-polisher

https://www.in2detailing.co.uk/prod...-exfoli-block-2-0-interchangeable-clay-system

https://www.in2detailing.co.uk/products/optimum-no-rinse-wash-and-shine-new-formula

I have followed detailing for a few years and so used to different processes except polishing and lots of different products and cloths but if you’re new to it lots of info a channel like John’s
About products and techniques, it really isn’t that difficult https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_4lRohBzY20wjsFGWS0Jzg

I could have paid someone to do it but immense satisfaction from looking after your own car properly rather than spend £500 for a one off and like most things in life, much easier and quick too when you find routines that work efficiently for you that you’re prepared to keep up.

Do all Karchers share the same lance fitting? My Dad has a K520M and I was thinking of buying a snow foam gun for it, just thought I'd check first.

As Steve says - typically long fibres mitts for contact wash as it’s called these days such as a G-Techniq WM2 or noodle-type wash mitt and for drying any number of choices of Microfibre drying towel denoted by GSM, single sided or double (two stitched together). All sounds typically blokey and complicated but actually products like this are damned good and not expensive. I can’t imagine going back to a chamois now.

As Steve says - typically long fibres mitts for contact wash as it’s called these days such as a G-Techniq WM2 or noodle-type wash mitt and for drying any number of choices of Microfibre drying towel denoted by GSM, single sided or double (two stitched together). All sounds typically blokey and complicated but actually products like this are damned good and not expensive. I can’t imagine going back to a chamois now.
Yes, there is a good deal of blokey collecting of stuff to be dealt with. Heaven forbid that someone might get away with a bucket and a sponge. That said, things like microfibre mitts are hardly expensive, as you say.

Found an ancient bag of car cleaning stuff ( I knew I had it somewhere!) from the days when I had a car that I actually enjoyed driving.
Meguires clay bar, Swissol cleaning fluid and some Swissol carnauba wax. ( I have to say the carnauba wax smelled bloody delicious, made my mouth water!)

Had a go at tackling the black crud on the new (to me) Honda Jazz. Picked an inconspicuous area (not) in the centre of the bonnet. The threesome made a decent job and it would pass as "shiny" to the average viewer. However, the black spots appear to be kind of imbedded in the paint and removing them has left (I think) wee pits where they once sat. Photo shows treated area on right hand third, untreated on left.

Thinking I should get some of that stuff that turns purple and dissolves iron in the paint, which is what I think I've got. It's a ten year old roller-skate of a car, so none of this is life and death, just wish to keep some of it's value when selling time comes around. (when I finally retire, am only doing 50 miles/week and can get my coveted Lexus LS430 luxo-barge)

Sold the F01 730D yesterday as it hadn't moved in nearly 3 weeks; no good for a car like that really.. Belongs on the motorways chewing up the miles in comfort really ;)

I'll have to start updating pics of the wife's Razing Jazz now :D

Does anyone have a suggestion for some sort of hydrophobic/coating product to stick on a caravan? the catch being it has to be super easy to apply as my old man is getting on and I don't think he is up to wax on/off Mr Myagi style any more, and sure as shit I ain't doing it!

Something that maybe goes on in a pump sprayer or a foam cannon and can be wiped off? We're looking to reduce the amount of elbow grease required when it comes around to washing it next.

Does anyone have a suggestion for some sort of hydrophobic/coating product to stick on a caravan? the catch being it has to be super easy to apply as my old man is getting on and I don't think he is up to wax on/off Mr Myagi style any more, and sure as shit I ain't doing it!

Something that maybe goes on in a pump sprayer or a foam cannon and can be wiped off? We're looking to reduce the amount of elbow grease required when it comes around to washing it next.

Maybe Autoglym Aqua Wax?

Spray on when wet after washing, then just dry as normal. It’s about as easy as half decent products get.

Whilst I’m posting in the topic, I had a jolly good go with an old bottle of Carlack NSC today. Came up lovely, excellent product.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

Autoglym Polar Seal would be a better bet than the Aqua Wax; much easier to apply and then you rinse it off rather than spray on/buff off

Autoglym Polar Seal would be a better bet than the Aqua Wax; much easier to apply and then you rinse it off rather than spray on/buff off

Looks as good as anything and fits the brief, I'll tell him to get some as he has been pestering me for a while to see if I'd found anything (google obviously broke at his house :rolleyes:)

I struggle to see how there’s a difference between the use of polar seal vs aqua wax other than that the former requires the use of a pressure washer/foam lance, whereas the latter does not.

With both you just apply when wet, then dry the car.

advertisement

Back