advertisement

The Car cleaning section , Please join in

They were probably embarrassed to have it parked outside ;)

believe it or not, in the two hours it was parked on the forecourt, they were asked twice by potential customers wandering around if it was for sale!!

On another car related matter, my favourite pork salesperson, has been headhunted by the new Aston Martin dealership down the road......

believe it or not, in the two hours it was parked on the forecourt, they were asked twice by potential customers wandering around if it was for sale!!

Unsurprising. AIUI, Porsche UK are 'cold-calling' people who have bought cars from franchised dealers to see if they want to sell. They simply don't have enough reasonably priced cars (sub £80k) to sell.

Unsurprising. AIUI, Porsche UK are 'cold-calling' people who have bought cars from franchised dealers to see if they want to sell. They simply don't have enough reasonably priced cars (sub £80k) to sell.

yes i know - I am with a Porsche UK dealer, i know them very well. - they just dont have enough stock (regardless of price). They gave me way more than i expected on the PX of the 991 Targa.

Any ideas as to how to clean this ingrained city grime from a recently purchased Honda? It seems to have spent the last 2 years parked in a sunny, city side street. ( and it's red, so paint will need TLC to avoid fading)

Ideally some easy-peasy method that lifts the grime rather than rubbing it?

Looks like mildew. My wife's car (also red) is very prone to this. We use one of those gentle washing up scrubbing pads - the ones with a smooth and a rough side. I probably wouldn't risk it on an expensive or immaculate paint job, but it doesn't seem to do too much damage, and polishes up well enough afterwards (with CarLack).

Any ideas as to how to clean this ingrained city grime from a recently purchased Honda? It seems to have spent the last 2 years parked in a sunny, city side street. ( and it's red, so paint will need TLC to avoid fading)

To me, that colour looks more like paint oxidation than grime, and that'll need a cut 'n' polish to fix. If you're feeling brave, you can give it a go but personally, I'd get someone professional to do it.

I would spray on some Autoglyn Magma as a first attempt.

This is a good product for gently removing paint contaminants without polishing.

Try clay.

Amazon link.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

Wet it down; Autoglym Magma first (as already recommended) then rinse off; then snow foam, rinse, wash and then re-snow foam (to act as a lubricant) and use a clay mitt (via Amazon)

Wash again and that should have it sorted; maybe some good polish after it also (Poorboys, Chemical Guys, maybe Autogluym (i'm not a huge fan of their polishes, very powders); the Koch Chemie stuff is very good

Magma: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B079QM2JN1/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Clay mitt: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00K4UVUEG/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Koch Chemie polish: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B089T1Z6CG/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Does anyone use or can recommend a 3" dual action variable speed polisher ?
I have a big one ( Ooo er Mrs ) :D

To me, that colour looks more like paint oxidation than grime, and that'll need a cut 'n' polish to fix. If you're feeling brave, you can give it a go but personally, I'd get someone professional to do it.

Now I want an old Merc 190! Nice cars.

Looks like mildew. My wife's car (also red) is very prone to this. We use one of those gentle washing up scrubbing pads - the ones with a smooth and a rough side. I probably wouldn't risk it on an expensive or immaculate paint job, but it doesn't seem to do too much damage, and polishes up well enough afterwards (with CarLack).
Be VERY careful with any sort of scrubbing pad, unless you are very lucky you will scratch the paint beyond repair short of a respray. Nylon pan scourers will damage glass and paint repair shops use them to prep paint (ie remove the shine). The safe option is to use conventional car shampoo and then a normal wax polish. Something like traffic film remover might help as a pre spray if you have it to hand. Again go steady, and dilute it well. Even diluted to 5% I've had TFR leave streaks. Wax polish fixes it but it makes it a longer job than your standard 20 minute whizz round with a sponge followed by a rinse.

Does anyone use or can recommend a 3" dual action variable speed polisher ?
I have a big one ( Ooo er Mrs ) :D

Could you just fit a smaller backing plate, pad etc to the machine you’ve already got?

It’s a long time since I messed about with my DA but pretty sure I could use smaller pads with it.

Interestingly, I had a call from Audi to see if I was interested in changing the RS because of supply shortage. They might change their mind when they see how filthy it is

I don’t know why they asked, as it’s theirs anyway technically.

advertisement

Back