advertisement

The Album Everyone Should Own

Dark Side of the Moon, ......oh hang on they already do ;)

I don't.

For me today it is still Joni M 'Blue'....but that's because I'm a self indulgent miserable old git.

When I'm working through my albums.. almost any ought to be owned by everyone.

"Eydie in Dixieland" - Eydie Gorme

R-5151865-1435116901-5668.jpeg.jpg

Limiting the choice to the album everyone should own from 2020 I would have to say BC Camplight's remarkable Shortly After Takeoff

Young Marble Giants - Colossal Youth
Television - Marquee Moon

For today (at least).
Ah yes, Young Marble Giants. I was trying to place my copy on Discogs the other day and discovered that I have a UK pressing (Rough 8) in a US sleeve (Rough 6). What's happened here?

No matter what type of music floats your boat, two obvious ones that spring to mind are Hunky Dory and Innervisions

For some reason, DSOTM has never done it for me. I just find it a bit boring (sorry)

I think an album everyone should own needs to be accessible. I generally put forward a Beatles record when asked this kind of question as I’m always amazed how little people know of their album tracks.

The reason I suggested ‘Hard days night’ comes from an incident a few years ago when I had some friends round for dinner; playlist via Sonos in the background. The track ‘Things we said today’ came on, one of our guests who is a pretty gifted musician, recognised it as the Beatles but had never heard it.

I believe ‘Things we said today’ is one of the greatest songs ever written, it’s utterly perfect & it is tucked away on side two of said album. It’s what makes the Beatles great.

This true. But the other huge advantage Hard Day's Night has over other Beatles' albums is that Ringo doesn't sing. That's right - no lame Carl Perkins covers, no cute kiddies' songs, no godawful C&W shite, just John, Paul and George singing perfect pop songs

Reactions: kjb
not wishing to get all philosofikal, but 'actually own' and love?
I can think of 100 that I'd like them to hear and think interesting but for everyone to like?

Nope.

In the former catagory I'd guess that musical history would suggest a bit of Bach, some Muddy Waters or Ella F, maybe Elvis, def early Dylan, then the Beatles ofc, Floyd, some Punk, and after that it never really quite does anything that special for me.

It might be that one that went up with Voyager. If everyone one on Earth owned a copy and knew it inside out it might help us to communicate with whoever ends up with the original, when they eventually make contact.

This true. But the other huge advantage Hard Day's Night has over other Beatles' albums is that Ringo doesn't sing. That's right - no lame Carl Perkins covers, no cute kiddies' songs, no godawful C&W shite, just John, Paul and George singing perfect pop songs

I get the significance of The Beatles. They are just not my bag, that’s all. My mum and step-dad introduced me to all sorts of music. Had I been around at that time, I’d have been into Elvis!:eek:

advertisement

Back