advertisement

The Album Everyone Should Own

I too can't fault his drumming. I don't recall what I made of his 'singing' back in the day. I was 13 when 'Love Me Do' was released.

If I was pushed I'd say I saw Ringo as just a part of the wide appeal of the Beatles. They were 'cutting edge' one minute and 'Yer Grannie's Favourites' the next. In the early days.. they, like everyone else.. did covers. Outside of that.. Lennon was abrasive and harsh, but not lacking in angst and emotion. McCartney was all melodic, but also rooted in Music Hall. Harrison was increasingly spiritual. It's complex...it's capable of endless analysis ...and it's all part of the mystique...

Someone upthread mentioned 'Things We Said Today'. For me, it is that quality of songwriting.. for what many might even still regard as 'filler'..which marks out the Beatles as all time classics. Good as most of their chart singles were.. you have to look to the albums for the gems. Can anyone name another band which came up with so many original and enduring songs? Can anyone name another band whose album tracks and 'B' sides were so staggeringly good?

I suspect I'm in the minority here in having actually been there..on the ground..when the Beatles 'broke'. Trust me.. they were out there on their own...

Well if you were a 'club' sort of person it was the Beatles OR The Stones by late 64 anyway. I'll give you 63 unless you are in the states where the Beach boys won that year, and 'Please Please me was, after all, a POP sensation. Not very cutting edge musically....The Kinks weren't too shabby not were The Who if you like that stuff. The Byrds, The Mamas and Papas all rolled onto the Laurel Canyon bandwagon later on... It was a good time. I know what you mean too...a lifelong fan of the fab 4, but I see Ray Davies' lyrics, the blues rock of the Stones mid period and think that they (at least) too were pushing boundaries just as well. They just didn't have such very energetic publicity teams?

I can definitely say that I now have too many copies :)

Me too and I only have one copy. It only ever gets played when I want people to leave.

I just don't get it. It sounds like they got a bunch of 4 year olds together, gave them instruments and told them to make as much noise as they could.

Its the 'musical' equivalent of elephant art.

Never saw the appeal of Van Morrison, definitely plus 1 for "You can all join in" the tracks sort of work together in a strange way though all the artists are different.
My choice for everyone would be King Crimson's ITCOTCK but my heart is saying Yes TFTO

Well if you were a 'club' sort of person it was the Beatles OR The Stones by late 64 anyway. I'll give you 63 unless you are in the states where the Beach boys won that year, and 'Please Please me was, after all, a POP sensation. Not very cutting edge musically....The Kinks weren't too shabby not were The Who if you like that stuff. The Byrds, The Mamas and Papas all rolled onto the Laurel Canyon bandwagon later on... It was a good time. I know what you mean too...a lifelong fan of the fab 4, but I see Ray Davies' lyrics, the blues rock of the Stones mid period and think that they (at least) too were pushing boundaries just as well. They just didn't have such very energetic publicity teams?
The beauty of The Beatles is that they stopped, pretty much all the others dragged their Merry corpses across the stage for ever more. I don’t think it had anything to do with their publicity machine, Epstein was far less sophisticated than Loog-Oldham for example.

I don’t particularly like The Who, the others you mention are all good though;)

Young Marble Giants - Colossal Youth
Television - Marquee Moon

For today (at least).

I used to hear this at least twice a week for at least a year or two back in about '85 and recall really liking it.... a mate who had the "party house" at the time played it a lot. I don't think I've heard it since! I'll have to give it a go:)

Sergeant Peppers would seem the obvious answer to the OP... if the concept is "which is so good, so famous and so available that you would be surprised that someone doesn't have a copy"

Lest we forget, the Stones' first hit was a Beatles song!

Oh dear Joe!! Very sloppy research.:) The first Stones' chart hit was a a slightly obscure Chuck Berry song. (Come On)

Their second was a Lennon McCartney composition (Wanna Be Your Man)

Third, a Buddy Holly song (Not Fade Away)

Fourth, a Valentino's/Womack Bros song (It's All Over Now)

Fifth. a song with a long history, credited to Willy Dixon and famously recorded by Howlin' Wolf/Chester Burnett. 'Little Red Rooster'

Sixth. A thinly disguised re-working/adaptation of a Staples Singers Gospel Song.. 'This May Be The Last Time'

So.. IIRC, it was only when the Stones got to 'Satisfaction', that they started writing their own hits.

Don't get me wrong here.. I loved both the Stones and the Beatles and most of the other classic bands of the era. The Stones.. just like the Beatles.. had a fresh new sound..whatever they recorded.

As for the Beatles. Every one of their chart hits was a Beatles composition..apart from the 1927 song 'Ain't She Sweet', which entered the charts in 1964 (On Polydor) but was a very early Beatles Hamburg recording featuring Tony Sheridan and Pete Best.

Well if you were a 'club' sort of person it was the Beatles OR The Stones by late 64 anyway.

It was never that for me. There were such rivalries.. Mod/Rocker... Cliff/Elvis... Beatles/Stones..etc.. but I never bought into any of them. I was DJing a broad based programme of Soul/Dance/Proto 'Northern' stuff from 1967 onwards..whilst still loving the Stones/Kinks etc.. and also listening to Brubeck, Ellington,Ray Charles, Joni M, Dylan, Baez, Pentangle Dvorak, Elgar etc..etc..

I'll give you 63 unless you are in the states where the Beach boys won that year, and 'Please Please me was, after all, a POP sensation. Not very cutting edge musically....

Are you talking the single or the album? Both were very cutting edge in the fact that they sounded so fresh and new. Love Me Do was a revelation from a UK band engaged in the then almost obligatory system of UK 'R and B' bands 'covering' (Mostly black) US hits... but often giving them a freshness and energy which the originals lacked.

The Kinks weren't too shabby not were The Who if you like that stuff. The Byrds, The Mamas and Papas all rolled onto the Laurel Canyon bandwagon later on... It was a good time. I know what you mean too...a lifelong fan of the fab 4, but I see Ray Davies' lyrics, the blues rock of the Stones mid period and think that they (at least) too were pushing boundaries just as well.[/QUOTE]

Broadly agree. Davies lyrics were often the equal of Lennon-McCartney.

They just didn't have such very energetic publicity teams?

I don't think that's a factor here.

As for the Beatles. Every one of their chart hits was a Beatles composition..apart from the 1927 song 'Ain't She Sweet', which entered the charts in 1964 (On Polydor) but was a very early Beatles Hamburg recording featuring Tony Sheridan and Pete Best.

"Twist and Shout" reached #2 in America.

Sergeant Peppers would seem the obvious answer to the OP... if the concept is "which is so good, so famous and so available that you would be surprised that someone doesn't have a copy"
Unless, like me, you think that whilst it has two timeless songs, it's basically a charming, well produced, novelty record with some nice psychedelic touches and a surprisingly disappointing way to follow up 36 of the most perfect minutes in all of pop music.

Of course, I still have 3 copies.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back