advertisement

The Album Everyone Should Own

I am interested to hear more as I am a big fan of his.
I prefer ‘Let’s get it on’ personally. ‘Here my dear’ is very good also.

I think ‘What’s going on’ is a bit of a hammock album, starts well, sags in the middle & then ends on a high.

I prefer ‘Let’s get it on’ personally. ‘Here my dear’ is very good also.

I think ‘What’s going on’ is a bit of a hammock album, starts well, sags in the middle & then ends on a high.

I like the two you've mentioned, just not as much.

For me it has to be Kind of Blue. Maybe obvious but it just never fails to give me something new with each listen.
Kind of Blue too! A gateway record into Jazz - go backwards or forwards in time and style it will take you there, either with players or styles plus it's so accessible.

On the basis that "Should own" encompases stuff you would never really normally listen to then, I'd go for "Gong" "You", the day it clicks you realise that, no-one has ever made the follow up to that album. Recorded over the three days of the full moon and mostly assembled from live takes in the studio, it is both perfectly wrong and perfectly right as the same time. You could easily label it "Trippy hippy dribble" and yet, it has some of the most insane time signatures and absolutely on point individual performances within its grooves. It, like the worm Ouroboros ends up eating its own tail. I only wish the recent remaster, which is superb, was available on vinyl. For me, it is to psych/prog what "Kinda Blue" is to jazz. It might never speak to you, you might never embrace it, one thing it will never do, is sound the same each time you play it.

For me it has to be Kind of Blue. Maybe obvious but it just never fails to give me something new with each listen.

+ 1 for this - obvious, yes, but also correct

jqAzjZYHHk2EWxRNbKp1edw6tQCFa2kA0OhqaEiRH4NxIj874j29AB14VqpEmjZ3oD9oz1jmvCAiK0rViAGVTFP6HCxcURwtMSzie_A_O3SJolRQII-cG5R-nhRKYan79w

This was the first LP I bought with my own pennies - I was still at primary school but this and Nice Enough to Eat opened all sorts of doors for me. And Nice Enough to Eat had 21st Century Schizoid Man on it linking to the OP. - which IMO is all anyone needs from ITCOTCK

advertisement

Back