advertisement

The 2023 Formula One Season

Although, after today's performance, one has to ask - why? Merc seems as lost as is Honda in MotoGP, in which their top rider, Marc Marquez, like Hamilton one of the best ever, seems to spend an inordinate amount of time on his bottom in an effort to make the thing go. In today's MotoGP, he spent his entire race going backwards

Being a professional racing driver has to be one of the best jobs in the world and only one person can be the champion. Does not stop the rest of them wanting to carry on driving. Also manufacturers go through ups and downs, you may remember a few years ago Mercedes built a fast car as well and HAM did quite well by it. Honda were the top manufacturer on Moto GP on and off for around 40 years, they will be back.

https://www.motorsportstats.com/team/honda-racing-corporation/summary/series/motogp

Being a professional racing driver has to be one of the best jobs in the world and only one person can be the champion. Does not stop the rest of them wanting to carry on driving. Also manufacturers go through ups and downs, you may remember a few years ago Mercedes built a fast car as well and HAM did quite well by it. Honda were the top manufacturer on Moto GP on and off for around 40 years, they will be back.

https://www.motorsportstats.com/team/honda-racing-corporation/summary/series/motogp

And, Schumacher was laughed at/criticised for moving from Benetton to Ferrari. Worked out ok.

Same for Hamilton going McLaren to Mercedes.

And, Schumacher was laughed at/criticised for moving from Benetton to Ferrari. Worked out ok.

Same for Hamilton going McLaren to Mercedes.
But was he (Schumacher)? I confess I don't recall that. I do recall Luca de Montezemolo saying, "We have now the best driver in the world - we have no more excuses". It did indeed work out OK. However, both he (and Hamilton) were at the beginnings of their careers, whereas Hamilton must see retirement on the horizon. And while, as @cutting42 says, it's a great job, ultimately they all have egos extending to somewhere beyond the orbit of Neptune, and they all want to win, not merely fill in the gaps in the field - or at least make such an impression that a potentially winning team will employ them. It must surely hurt Hamilton to progress backwards with such rapidity. because the team got its sums wrong with the new regulations.I guess that, as @SteveS1 said, there must be faith that things can get better (well, they scarcely can get any worse). The last thing Toto wants is to make the accountants in Stuttgart-Untertürkheim unhappy...

But was he (Schumacher)? I confess I don't recall that. I do recall Luca de Montezemolo saying, "We have now the best driver in the world - we have no more excuses". It did indeed work out OK. However, both he (and Hamilton) were at the beginnings of their careers, whereas Hamilton must see retirement on the horizon. And while, as @cutting42 says, it's a great job, ultimately they all have egos extending to somewhere beyond the orbit of Neptune, and they all want to win, not merely fill in the gaps in the field - or at least make such an impression that a potentially winning team will employ them. It must surely hurt Hamilton to progress backwards with such rapidity. because the team got its sums wrong with the new regulations.I guess that, as @SteveS1 said, there must be faith that things can get better (well, they scarcely can get any worse). The last thing Toto wants is to make the accountants in Stuttgart-Untertürkheim unhappy...

Merc are still second in the constructors lets not forget. HAM and RUS are much more consistent than LEC and SAI. If it was not for RB, it would be an epic season, in fact I tend to watch the races with that mindset, mainly because I don't like RB or Horner but also makes believe there is some competition. This is the first race of the year where a non RB has led for more than 1 laps I think but there was still the sense of inevitability that they would get past despite SAI bets efforts (excellent they were as well).

But was he (Schumacher)? I confess I don't recall that. I do recall Luca de Montezemolo saying, "We have now the best driver in the world - we have no more excuses". It did indeed work out OK

Ferrari were in a shocking state when MSC joined them, you may recall Damon lapping MSC in an early race and they did have a habit of snatching defeat from the jaws of success. The MSC era Ferrari worked because they let Ferrari build the engine and the car under Marco Fainello and Paolo Martinelli and left the management to Rory Byrne/Ross Brawn/Jean Todt. Rory and Ross of course comping from Benetton with MSC.

Ferrari were in a shocking state when MSC joined them, you may recall Damon lapping MSC in an early race and they did have a habit of snatching defeat from the jaws of success. The MSC era Ferrari worked because they let Ferrari build the engine and the car under Marco Fainello and Paolo Martinelli and left the management to Rory Byrne/Ross Brawn/Jean Todt. Rory and Ross of course comping from Benetton with MSC.
And it was a while before Ferrari learned that an engine works better if it keeps all that smoke inside.

Red Bull unfortunately still too fast as Perez was easily able to make it up to 2nd and Max seemed to be cruising after he took the lead . Ferrari did ok apart from the fact Leclerc nearly took them both out !

Red Bull unfortunately still too fast as Perez was easily able to make it up to 2nd and Max seemed to be cruising after he took the lead . Ferrari did ok apart from the fact Leclerc nearly took them both out !

Max mentioned he’d had to back off due to an (undisclosed) issue - but that the lead was sufficient to not be a problem.

Being a professional racing driver has to be one of the best jobs in the world and only one person can be the champion. Does not stop the rest of them wanting to carry on driving.

While going from karting through the categories, F3, F2 etc. etc. they are all used to be winners. Ironically, then in F1, most of them will stop winning and become also runs.

While going from karting through the categories, F3, F2 etc. etc. they are all used to be winners. Ironically, then in F1, most of them will stop winning and become also runs.

Yes exactly, its like many sports and even education. All the kids at Oxford/Cambridge are used to being the best student, top in the class, aceing all the exams, A* all the way through. Then suddenly they get to Oxbridge where everyone is special and they could be mid pack or even bottom of the class. Some can't cope with it.

The most recent story that springs to mind has to be Jan Magnussen - Kevin's dad. He came into F1 with the best F3 reputation ever, surpassing Senna's achievement of wins and just sucked at F1 being replaced by Max's dad ultimately.

Fantastic weekend at the Goodwood Revival... still a masterpiece in how to run a huge event properly. The RAC TT Celebration, Glover Trophy and Sussex Trophy races were epic yesterday. Seeing a grid of 1961-1965 F1 cars going hell for leather is a genuinely spine tingling sight and the other two races featuring all my favourite Jaguars (C Types, D Types, E Type lightweights, Listers etc.) were amazing especially when a little bit of rain came down. The periphery of the event is huge now and I don't think you can take it all in even in the two days I was there, but it depends what you want from the weekend... I was primarily there for the racing but my partner and her friend (who both only came for the Sunday) had a fantastic day going round the stalls and watching the bands/dancing etc. Seeing Jackie Stewart driving his WC winning Tyrell was rather cool too... 84 and still driving well.

Fantastic weekend at the Goodwood Revival... still a masterpiece in how to run a huge event properly. The RAC TT Celebration, Glover Trophy and Sussex Trophy races were epic yesterday. Seeing a grid of 1961-1965 F1 cars going hell for leather is a genuinely spine tingling sight and the other two races featuring all my favourite Jaguars (C Types, D Types, E Type lightweights, Listers etc.) were amazing especially when a little bit of rain came down. The periphery of the event is huge now and I don't think you can take it all in even in the two days I was there, but it depends what you want from the weekend... I was primarily there for the racing but my partner and her friend (who both only came for the Sunday) had a fantastic day going round the stalls and watching the bands/dancing etc. Seeing Jackie Stewart driving his WC winning Tyrell was rather cool too... 84 and still driving well.
Did you see Chandok's GTO moment? Scary!

Did you see Chandok's GTO moment? Scary!

Only on the screens as I was at Madgewick for that race and it happened at Lavant. While it looked dramatic Chandhok and the owner have since pointed out it was nothing more than the usual race generated engine failure that for a few seconds looked massively scary, but the onboard fire extinguisher did its job and Chandhok was skilled in getting it off the track. Synopsis here:

Karun Chandhok's Ferrari 250 GTO: What really happened?

Still, it looked scary enough to me :D

The revival is still on my to do list. I have been to the festival of speed many times but never seem to remember the revival.

The revival is still on my to do list. I have been to the festival of speed many times but never seem to remember the revival.

I prefer it to the FoS, but then I love the 50sand 60s cars... I also love the way everyone dresses up and gets in the spirit of the event.

advertisement

Back